Tourists visiting national parks at New Year must have bags to carry their garbage

webfact

Tourists visiting national parks at New Year must have bags to carry their garbage

TSNBg3wSBdng7ijM75M4p9cTPpwyaC7zrRT3qpRi

Starting January 1st, tourists visiting national parks in Thailand will be required to carry their own plastic bags to contain the garbage they generate and take it out of the parks when they leave. The measure is part of the new approach to conserve the environment and to protect wild animals from ingesting plastic, which can be fatal.

The latest victim was a wild deer, which was found dead last Thursday in Khun Sathan national park in Na Noi district of the northern province of Nan.  An autopsy found its stomach contained about seven kilogrammes of trash, mostly plastic, which included single-use plastic bags, male underwear, plastic rope, rubber gloves, coffee sachets and instant noodle bags.

Natural Resources and Environment Minister Warawut Silpa-archa said he has instructed chiefs of all national parks to warn tourists to bring their own garbage bags.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/tourists-visiting-national-parks-at-new-year-must-have-bags-to-carry-their-garbage/

thaipbs.jpg

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, webfact said:

required to carry their own plastic bags

I thought the push was on to reduce the reliance on plastic bags, suppling biodegrade-able bags as part of an entry fee to use and take out of the park, that could be then deposited in a supplied and Emptied bin, would be more proactive.

7 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

Good move but please don't make this about tourists (implying non-Thais). The real issue is homegrown.

What makes you think that this directive was aimed at non-Thais specifically?

90%+ of visitors to the national parks would be locals, and yes, you can be a tourist

in your own country.

A quick Google search reveals two definitions of a tourist along the lines of

someone visiting a place for pleasure or interest.

Good luck with that. We 'rent' our mango trees out to a village farmer because its too much work for us old people. He employs other men and women to spray trees and weeds, cover young fruit with bags and to harvest. I later find bottles stuffed under leaf piles, bags tucked in dying banana trunks and plastic cups dropped in the long grass. How you get people here to take out what they bring in I dont know. I have tried and failed.

1 minute ago, Lungstib said:

Good luck with that. We 'rent' our mango trees out to a village farmer because its too much work for us old people. He employs other men and women to spray trees and weeds, cover young fruit with bags and to harvest. I later find bottles stuffed under leaf piles, bags tucked in dying banana trunks and plastic cups dropped in the long grass. How you get people here to take out what they bring in I dont know. I have tried and failed.

laziness nothing  more

tourist who don,t know they pay more than the thais in entrance fees.so the rubbish comes from local people more than farang.i know the scam so i would wait outside  if someone went in i know.i have seen the parks and the zoo in cm at the fair price so call me cheap charlie i don,t want to pay over the top prices.if you find tantong falls on the way from phayao it is free along with a few others.nice place to visit and explore if  u know

13 minutes ago, Lungstib said:

Offer them money for their trash. 

"Starting January 1st, tourists visiting national parks in Thailand will be required to carry their own plastic bags to contain the garbage..."

Most likely, many Thai tourists will only understand that they must carry a bag, but will still throw their garbage on the ground. Unless there is someone there to tell them to put their garbage in the bag and carry it out of the park, they will never make the connection by themselves. You can thank the "education" system for this total lack of reasoning,  and their need to depend on someone else to make decisions for them. 

2 hours ago, shy coconut said:

What makes you think that this directive was aimed at non-Thais specifically?

Hmmm

Maybe he think that because have male underwear and the rubber glove in the dead deer?

2 hours ago, shy coconut said:

90%+ of visitors to the national parks would be locals, and yes, you can be a tourist

in your own country.

Yes. If read the link, can see they talk about Thai tourist, talk about the 13 village at the park etc.

i think better to have bin at the park. 10% people always selfish and lazy, will throw it out of the car, not want stinky rubbish. 

Even if have 90% do the right way, 10% not do, will still have problem. 

If Yinn the ranger, I will shoot the people throw rubbish. Will stop them do it. Quickly. Sure.

49 minutes ago, jaiyen said:

I bet most of them will dump the rubbish very soon after leaving the park either by the roadside or in the first village they come to.

One might hope that there will be a disposal station at the gates. But then, this is Thailand!

33 minutes ago, mok199 said:

Hard to believe in this day and age , people have to be told not to litter....

Same down the beach where I live they just throw it on the ground as they are leaving the beach then the dogs go through it 

5 minutes ago, Curt1591 said:

One might hope that there will be a disposal station at the gates. But then, this is Thailand!

The orbortor put a load of wheelie bins where people exit the beach I think they all got nicked I dont see any there now 

Denfinately not a foreign tourist problem around reservoirs my area.

Rubbish on ground and roads all local food and drink containers.

Yep they will take a plastic bag  going there to fish.

Pigs will fly the day they take it out with their rubbish.

Bins are non existent our area, but even if there unlikely be used.

Not easy problem to solve with way everyone arriving with plastic bags and foam food containers from roadside sellers.

I walk everyday and never have seen a branded bag from big c or rimping.

This problem goes much deeper than supermarket bags.

3 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Good move but please don't make this about tourists (implying non-Thais). The real issue is homegrown.

I read the article as tourists, meaning all tourists, not just aliens. Thais are tourist in their native land too.

But you read it differently.

Just now, Hockeybik said:

It is really difficult to find public trash cans anywhere in Thailand. One reason people just throw it on the ground. In the US and other countries in public places you are rarely far from a proper place to put your trash. 

yes, and no, at many public transportation locations and vehicles in the uk there have been no litter bins since the IRA bombings in the 1990s, some people (there will always be some) occasionally drop their litter in these places but the vast majority take their rubbish with them.

27 minutes ago, legend49 said:

Double pricing killed off tourists wants of going to these places. This new game will put the cement on top of the grave.

Thais are not charged double for being a tourist to Thai parks.

Buy more garbage cans with wheels, covers and flaps. Have them empty throughout the day end of the day removed them to a secure location for all the trash to be picked up.

Thai officials and the media who took the picture!  why in the world is there bags of trash throw into a area in this manner is critical thinking so lacking that one can't figure out the problem.  This is the same problem you have in Pattaya, look at the population yet you see no garbage cans anywhere and when there is one you have to walk KM to get to it reason why Thais learn to just throw it on the floor!

3 hours ago, leeneeds said:

I thought the push was on to reduce the reliance on plastic bags, suppling biodegrade-able bags as part of an entry fee to use and take out of the park, that could be then deposited in a supplied and Emptied bin, would be more proactive.

Just back from Koa Sok, no plastic bags allowed in only cloth bags.

People are people all over the world, and there are slobs in every country of every nationality. If Thais are a little behind in conservation efforts I say better late than never. Even if this takes a long time to catch on with the population the alternative is to do nothing. There are many environmentally conscious Thais who care.

Archived