Tourism: Indians "last hope" for Pattaya as Thai media reports massive high season decline

webfact

where in gods name sake did they pull '10,000' baht a day from?  it was only days ago they were printing the Indians spending against the Chinese... and the Indians were just below the Chinese in ave. daily spending 5k or thereabouts.... blows my mind some of the things you read in the Thai press.

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

i know what i am going to say is a stereotypical comment about Indian people, but I saw it with my own eyes. I could not believe how they were grinding the massage ladies on price in Pattaya. I stood there and watched for a while outside a large shop. The one lady was holding her ground but it was brutal. 

They just can't help themselves , to haggle is second nature for them. The only solution is to charge them double and let them haggle down to the correct price. They are happy then.

I was doing a car boot sale in the UK once. The people selling next to me included an 8 year old boy trying to off load a few of his toys that he had grown out off. An Indian guy with his son came up. His son took a fancy to a small dinky car.

" How much ? "

" 10 pence "

" I give you 5 "

Bloke pocketed the car , threw down 5 pence piece and strolled of leaving the 8 year old visibly confused at such brazen behavior.

My family are not coming this year,too expensive ,thats 4 less,3 friends ,1 came for 3 weeks instead of 2 months ,two did not come ,too expensive ,so i am one guy and i know 7 people who will not be spending money in Pattaya, also we go shopping in town a couple of times a week ,i have noticed that it is not that busy ,as we are not night birds any longer i cant say about how busy it is at night ,but i said in another thread that when we were buying our sons birthday prezzy in t21 the woman said how quiet it was, things are going to get worse 

But in a statement that will surprise many the media said that Indians spend on average a whopping 10,000 baht per person per day. 

I have no idea WHERE THIS INFORMATION is derived from.

Last weekend I personally witnessed 4 gentlemen from the Subcontinent haggle with a baht bus driver for 10 minutes on the merits of such gentlemen paying 5 baht per person.  The driver kept refusing, they were relentless.  My fellow passengers were getting restless and patience was running low.

The driver relented, as the gentlemen from the Subcontinent were attempting to board the bus , the driver drove off leaving them confused in the street.  We cheered the driver.

Point being, if these people are Pattaya's last chance, when is the funeral becouse ANYONE or ANY GOVERNMENT that pins their financial hopes on these people will be firmly disappointed.

48 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

i know what i am going to say is a stereotypical comment about Indian people, but I saw it with my own eyes. I could not believe how they were grinding the massage ladies on price in Pattaya. I stood there and watched for a while outside a large shop. The one lady was holding her ground but it was brutal. 

Uncle. I think is “stereotypical” of Indian Pattaya sex tourist. 

Most Indian other tourist area, come with family, and quite polite (not everyone). 

One billion India people. The Indian sex tourist probably will be loso and not polite to sex worker. They not respect sex worker.

Pattaya so dirty place. Only reason popular with foreigner is for sex worker.

Only reason popular for Thai people, is because close to Bangkok, easy for go weekend. 

8 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Uncle. I think is “stereotypical” of Indian Pattaya sex tourist. 

Yinn you should know there are Indian families on vacation in Pattaya. Normal people just like me. :clap2:  

The are not rude, it is just a really hardcore business negotiation they just really want the lowest price on everything. 

I have learned a lot about how far a street vender will lower their price by just watching.

56 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

"But it was brutal"............great description and I have seen it myself on a few occasions and to be honest I'm quite embarrassed by it, whereas several Thai business owners whom I know, really want nothing to do with these mongrels.

I know a few women here who run massage parlours (the good, the bad and the......?) and in speaking to them, they all dread it when a group of Indian men turn up at their place, because they know what is in store for them, constant haggling and hassle and just trouble.

Fortunately for these folk, they don't really want the Indians in their place anyway, because, according to these people, they smell of poor personal hygiene and are not "clean". So the problem as regards turning away business, is mitigated somewhat!

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Indians "last hope" for Pattaya

Bad news! Nobody seems to have told them India is entering recession and this might have a negative impact on Pattaya's "last hope".

What then?

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/economy/indicators/india-may-have-entered-quasi-recession-as-gdp-growth-plummets/articleshow/70959236.cms?from=mdr

1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

Very true ! Once watched an Indian  women  select one by one  clothing items and hard  barter a price for each.

When  finally  finished  her selections her  husband stepped in  to pay.

When he was  told the total cost he then  demanded a further 10% discount.

To her credit the  Thai shopkeeper picked all the items  up, threw them to the back of the shop and proceeded to totally ignore  them both. The look on the faces of the Indian couple was a  sight  to  see !

The  shopkeeper  noticed  me  watching  so I  gave her a wink and a smile. She responded likewise.

I have  learned  to avoid  queues where Indians are in front because so so often it never goes  smoothly ! 

1 hour ago, keith101 said:

Your problem is Indians aren't big spenders , they would much rather share and save and the baht is still to high for them to spend up just like most tourists . The only hope is that the economy crashes sooner rather than later and tourists can afford to come back but until then this is what to expect .

They can't come back, they are too afraid to come back with social media awash with stories of would be tourists being incarcerated in cockroach infested urine smelling prisons on arrival at Bangkok airports. Who would risk arriving at a Bangkok airport? Immigration has gone bonkers. 

43 minutes ago, joebrown said:

A few years ago I was in a very busy 7/11 on Pattaya Nua , just along from the Town Hall. A group of about 6 Indian males were directly in front of me in the queue. They asked a cashier to bring down 2 boxed bottles of spirits from the top shelf. They told the cashier to open the boxes and show them the bottles, which they all examined closely. They then proceeded to haggle over the price of one of them. I couldn't believe what I was witnessing. Thankfully the cashier told them the label price several times, and they then walked out without buying anything.

Indian tourists spending 10,000bt a day! What a crock of s##t.

I'd have given them a mouthful! I can't stand <deleted> like that 

1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

I am from the subcontinent too and I would have strongly disagreed with you if I wouldn’t have seen the same. That said I still believe Indian market is very huge and have a lot to offer.

41 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

Yinn you should know there are Indian families on vacation in Pattaya. Normal people just like me. :clap2:  

Lovely

The are not rude, it is just a really hardcore business negotiation they just really want the lowest price on everything. 

Same Yinn.

I have learned a lot about how far a street vender will lower their price by just watching.

Good experience 

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

I don't see Indians as a good fit for Thai tourism. 

Thais love to overcharge foreigners as we all know, especially in tourist zones - it's like a sport to them. I think they enjoy getting one over on the foreigner as much as they love the extra cash. Indians equally love to get a bargain and will spend hours haggling over relatively small amounts of money. Their style of negotiation isn't always to smile and joke either.

I see resentment quickly building up on both sides (Thais aren't huge fans of Indians to start with). I certainly don't believe this is a long term solution for the problems that Thai tourism has created for itself.

Too true. I spent ten years living in a situation with lots of Indian ex-pats, ranging from lavatory cleaners to fellow professionals and amongst them, at all levels, I knew some lovely people.  But they will bargain all day over two pence and very insistently which is a total anathema to the Thai just keep smiling approach.  They will ask what is your last price, to which I would reply, the same as my first price, which is my only one.

Thais call Indians “kaeks” which ostensibly means guest but depending upon the intention of the speaker, as with all racist language, is also used pejoratively especially when associated what the sensitive Thai nose detects as an offensive effluvia.

As others have written this does not bode well for a happy host / tourist relationship and neither nationality is noted for its cultural sensitivity.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Tourism in Pattaya is much worse than even the pessimists were saying. 

No, lots of people have been telling the truth, but that is the last thing TAT & media want to hear, and can never report. They've spun themselves into a self made pit.

Perhaps they can talk to Immigration/ BIB and all those nasty overstayers they are swooping on, can be incarcerated in a Pattaya hotels as part of their fine.?!

Patatay as hub of detention centers. That's a win win.  :thumbsup:

3 minutes ago, roobaa01 said:

can someone explain....india is currently experiecing its worst economic slump since 2008, thus how does that correspond to rising indian tourism and spending thb 10k a day.

wbr

roobaa01

Because Thailand is so special, it's the Number 1 country in the world!

Archived