Tourism: Indians "last hope" for Pattaya as Thai media reports massive high season decline

webfact

12 minutes ago, Thian said:

I was in Swiss last year, loads and loads of Asians were there (no indians)

The Chinese might be outnumbering but there is significant business with Indians in the Bernese Oberland/Interlaken etc. They know the scenery from Indian soap operas (Bollywood). Switzerland is popular for Bollywood producers.

A sightseeing train was named after Bollywood/social media star "Ranveer Singh". And I bet you won't meet him in Pattaya.

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

two observations in the last couple of week, 2 indians in Tesco with 2 avacodos and a french stick (probably their dinner) cashier rang it up, talking in their language maybe saying <deleted>, then they just walked out didnt pay, and last saturday, on the baht bus going into town about 4 miles, 2 indians stopped the bus, asked how much,  10 baht each,(got to be the bargain of the century, ) they refused and started walking ha ha,

4 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

i know what i am going to say is a stereotypical comment about Indian people, but I saw it with my own eyes. I could not believe how they were grinding the massage ladies on price in Pattaya. I stood there and watched for a while outside a large shop. The one lady was holding her ground but it was brutal. 

Are you familiar with the Thai people's view of Indians?  As my wife says, you are in the jungle and see a cobra, close-by ... there is an Indian ... quick ... grab a stick and beat that Indian!  Before folks complain ... this is a fact, and I don't make the rules.  I do believe we shall see some real problems if too many tourists come from these areas ... and will add ... Pattaya, you sleep with a dog, you wake up with fleas.  This is not going to end well for locals and Expats.  So happy here in BKK!!!  ????

25 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

The Chinese might be outnumbering but there is significant business with Indians in the Bernese Oberland/Interlaken etc. They know the scenery from Indian soap operas (Bollywood). Switzerland is popular for Bollywood producers.

A sightseeing train was named after Bollywood/social media star "Ranveer Singh". And I bet you won't meet him in Pattaya.

Well Swiss is double the price of Austria and almost everything is the same and same standards.

Austria is about the same price as Thailand but of a much much higher standard.

So if i were Indian or Chinese i would go to Austria, Italy, Spain, Portugal.....all much better than thailand and sure more safe.

WHEN the stunner girls that were all over Patia 10 years ago left so did the crowd and foreigners that spent lots of money there I watched it happen in South Beach Miami and the tourist that came when the hot girls were gone for a different class of tourists that spent nowhere near the amount of money that the former class of tourists spent that cone for the beautiful girls .

5 minutes ago, Lumbini said:

WHEN the stunner girls that were all over Patia 10 years ago left so did the crowd and foreigners that spent lots of money there I watched it happen in South Beach Miami and the tourist that came when the hot girls were gone for a different class of tourists that spent nowhere near the amount of money that the former class of tourists spent that cone for the beautiful girls .

I want to bang an Indian ... and argue about getting a decent tip ... said no Thai Girl E-V-E-R

Strange how things change over just a few years.

Apart from the girls, European destinations such as Spain now offer a significantly better overall quality-of-life than Thailand.

If girls are your main thing, it is arguable that Cambodia, Vietnam, and The Philippines are a better overall deal than Thailand.

Just a few years ago, I would never have guessed that Thailand would fall so far from its #1 position.

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

I really don't know where they get the figures from either. Let's say they have breakfast at a local eatery, buy a few things from 711 and then go to a bar where they have a few drinks and acquire the services of a local lady for the evening. How is any of this recorded as money being spent at all, let alone specifically by Indians?

Unless they are simply asking them at the airports which again is unreliable. Same as the arrival card, I never gave them accurate information about my salary/occupation etc. because a) it amused me pretending to be an a gynecologist on under 10,000 USD per year and b) it's none of their business. 

I can imagine Bank of Thailand is able to know how much indian rupee (And all sort of other money) is changed all over the country every month, or year, and immigration central office is able to know how much people from each nationality enter in Thailand every month or year.

If yes it's easy to know how much is the spend/each, even if it's just a medium

(One can spend 10 000 a day and another only 100, the medium is 5050\each and

its a wrong data for both) .

It's more difficult to do the same thing when you have 

few countries with a common money, like Euro. You can not determinate if the change

of money has been made by a french, a german or an italian guy.

Don,t the powers that be realize it ? It is "The Indians" who are driving every civilized spender out of Pattaya ! Between urinating in the center of streets (Yes, I have seen this myself !) and washing their underwear in the hotel swimming pools they are going to turn Pattaya into a little Delhi ????

2 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Strict visas, strong baht, TM30’S  weeding out of expats, pollution  all of it together seems to have an devastating effect on tourism.

Big spending Indians really?

adding 'all' the above stigmas... and it's not looking good!

But, TAT is still in deniel!  I know that arrivals on Koh Samui are also way down and the hotliers and everyone else whose income is based on arrivals, are very worried, with several business going to the wall.  The exchange rate sadly is killing the little man and Government seems not to give a toss.

5 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

i know what i am going to say is a stereotypical comment about Indian people, but I saw it with my own eyes. I could not believe how they were grinding the massage ladies on price in Pattaya. I stood there and watched for a while outside a large shop. The one lady was holding her ground but it was brutal. 

You should see what they do with 20 baht orange juice sellers????

5 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

Consequences of hard-axx stance against foreigners by you know who!  It may take decades...generations for Thailand to undo the damage they have done to themselves.

Real tourists have no problems coming into Thailand.  Broke foreigners who try to live here on tourist and student visas are the ones not welcome.

4 hours ago, joebrown said:

A few years ago I was in a very busy 7/11 on Pattaya Nua , just along from the Town Hall. A group of about 6 Indian males were directly in front of me in the queue. They asked a cashier to bring down 2 boxed bottles of spirits from the top shelf. They told the cashier to open the boxes and show them the bottles, which they all examined closely. They then proceeded to haggle over the price of one of them. I couldn't believe what I was witnessing. Thankfully the cashier told them the label price several times, and they then walked out without buying anything.

Indian tourists spending 10,000bt a day! What a crock of s##t.

WOW what a story that is. You got any others?

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Tourism: Indians "last hope" for Pattaya as Thai media reports massive high season decline 

Well, if the Indians are your last hope, then the situation is much more serious than what you always want us to believe!
Thailand = The great Asian nation with big problems!
I advise you to look for some tourism experts and to follow the advice that gives you!
Believe me, Indians are not the solution!

5 hours ago, keith101 said:

Your problem is Indians aren't big spenders , they would much rather share and save and the baht is still to high for them to spend up just like most tourists . The only hope is that the economy crashes sooner rather than later and tourists can afford to come back but until then this is what to expect .

But they just said in the article the average Indian tourist spends 10,000 Bht a day compared to 5,000 baht a day the Chinese spend! HAhaha WHO makes up these figures?

4 hours ago, Beggar said:
Did you read the article? ????

"But in a statement that will surprise many the media said that Indians spend on average a whopping 10,000 baht per person per day. 

This is twice as much as the Chinese who average out at just 5,000 baht a day in comparison. "

Yeah and last week the headline said the Russians return in the 1000's and I am sure that I saw another headline that said Thailand was on track for 39 mil tourists this year.

Collectively the Thais running the tourist industry have peed in the soup. The rampant overcharging, the petty IOs, <deleted> hours long wait at immigration in Suvarnabhumi with half the booths unstaffed, corrupt cops, overcharging tut-tuk and taxi drivers, dirty hotel rooms not been painted in 25 years, sewage flowing through the streets if there is a hint of rain, rats running around the roads in the evening, petty rules about smoking on the beach and having umbrellas, rip-off jet ski operators...add it all up and there are few reasons to go to Pattaya.

I go there much less frequently than I did in the past (basically only when friends from home are in town) and I stay for a shorter period, I stay in cheaper hotels and spend less. At one point I was spending enough time down there to think about getting my own condo....but I haven't been for more than 6 days this year. and I don't see that increasing next year. Pattaya, rather than being a world class resort is in fact a s**thole. When friends talk to me about visiting I never recommend Pattaya as a place to stay....indeed, I always say go to Ao Nang, it's cheaper, cleaner, safer, and less hassle than Pattaya.

15 minutes ago, BoBoTheClown said:

Real tourists have no problems coming into Thailand.  Broke foreigners who try to live here on tourist and student visas are the ones not welcome.

Even broke foreigners contribute to the economy and probably help the local mom and pop stores more that your high dollar tourists that would likely go to more expensive place to buy food and drink

5 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

I own a massage shop are your statement is very true. Wanting discounts on everything!!! Was sat in a bar on Walking street several week ago and 2 Indian gents came and sat at the bar ordering 1 Spy and and glass. One drank from the bottle and the other from the glass sharing the drink. Big spenders???

Archived