Tourism: Indians "last hope" for Pattaya as Thai media reports massive high season decline

webfact

Let me just pose this question to anyone who has even a modicum of experience in Pattaya: Do you really believe that Indians are spending a whopping 10k baht per person per day? I have nothing against Indians but this statistic so obscenely flies in the teeth of actual experience as to be positively comical. Who is manufacturing this sort of tripe? It seems evident that tourist projections WILL BE met regardless of the actual reality. 

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

i know what i am going to say is a stereotypical comment about Indian people, but I saw it with my own eyes. I could not believe how they were grinding the massage ladies on price in Pattaya. I stood there and watched for a while outside a large shop. The one lady was holding her ground but it was brutal. 

Did it still smell like a open sewer like your last visit ?

Many reports on the ground have indicated that Pattaya is much quieter than usual, notes Thaivisa. Though the exact extent of the problem may even have the pessimists worried further.

As far as I remember was it not like that before the Junta took over.

If they really believe that they can fill hotel rooms and go go bars with Chinese and Indian people, they've gotta be out of their minds. 

Not the wealthy Chinese come to Thailand, these are tour groups who pay an all inclusive one week, or three day holiday price where we couldn't even rent a girl for short time. 

Neither Indians, nor Chinese would spend a few thousand baht for a nice plate of seafood, or a good quality steak. Indians don't eat cows. 

And the Indians aren't the wealthiest either. Gone are the times where people like me spent a couple of thousand baht every day.

There's not much that would attract foreigners from more developed countries. The prostitutes that don't even exist must have a hard time to make money for a living if ten Indians want to share one.

Som Nam Na! 

Until the core issues are addressed, it will get worse.  There are so many problems, and Thailand is so far behind, it’s not plausible to see anything happen to resolve the situation in time.  There is no will to make change ????

this could be a spectacularly successful country with it’s natural beauty and central location-corruption corrosion 

11 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

i know what i am going to say is a stereotypical comment about Indian people, but I saw it with my own eyes. I could not believe how they were grinding the massage ladies on price in Pattaya. I stood there and watched for a while outside a large shop. The one lady was holding her ground but it was brutal. 

And I saw with my own eyes 3 Indians sharing one beer at a bar and really true, they tried to convince one of the bar ladies to go with all of them to the hotel. Of course she declined. Now this is of course only a small example. But it shows somehow the Indian mentality in general.

5 hours ago, lensta said:

Even broke foreigners contribute to the economy and probably help the local mom and pop stores more that your high dollar tourists that would likely go to more expensive place to buy food and drink

No one goes to local mom and pop stores in Pattaya. There are none. They all became 7/11s or Family Marts years ago. The budget restaurants, hotels and bars of Pattaya are doing passably well but the more expensive places are struggling.

The vast majority of regular visitors and ex pats have long realised that they've got to tighten their belts and are doing so. Eventually it will be the bar girls and their families who suffer as the ex pat milk cows go home and fewer two week wonders arrive.

Having more Indians who come for a few days at a time won't make much difference.

8 hours ago, WinnieTheKhwai said:

I think so too.   I chatted with some guys from India on my last visit in Pattaya and they weren't short on cash, and very willing to spend it. 

The weird ones (of any nationality) tend to be people who really shouldn't be travelling but somehow ended  up on a group tour and behave in really peculiar ways.  Applies to Chinese and Europeans just the same.

People who travel independently tend to behave much more rationally and civilized. ???? 

Actually I wish more Indians would visit the North of Thailand.  I don't see many here.

My wife had a salon in CM and later one evening a well dressed Indian couple along with their teenage daughter came into her shop desperate for a head lice treatment . The daughter who was boarding at a private school on the outskirts of C/M had a bad case of lice and had to get it done . They quibbled over the price ( cant remember how much , but probably 200-300 bht ) I am glad the wife didnt reduce the price as the parents were not hesitant to tell my wife how they owned a top Indian restaurant on Lower  Sukumvit in Bkk..   Can just imagine going into their restaurant and haggling over the prices on the menu . On another note ...My wife had a salon in Pratunam prior to moving north and insisted that all Indian customers paid for their hair service in advance . Experience had taught her that Indians sometimes refused to pay on completion or demanded a discount once the job was done . Only nationality she ever had problems with .............just sayin

3 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

yes. i come every month to see if it is any better. so far no change. 

Amazing what some people put up with for a jump, but everywhere smelling like a sewer come on, guess maybe when you arrive at soi 6 the smell slightly changes

14 minutes ago, ancharee said:

Amazing what some people put up with for a jump, but everywhere smelling like a sewer come on, guess maybe when you arrive at soi 6 the smell slightly changes

i rarely leave soi six but no, it was fairly uniform across town. mostly on the streets.

Wait till groups of Indians abuse the girls like they do in their own homelands. so far they get away with not paying the odd girl or short changing them. Few will sit in bars, preferring to hang around corners to hassle women as the pass. and to only eat with their fingers at the grubby Indian run food places. So no real change just more of them perhaps?

4 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

i rarely leave soi six but no, it was fairly uniform across town. mostly on the streets.

Yes I see where you are coming from, I lived in Hau Hin for 1 year and Pattaya 3 years but I found out about Amata City outside Pattaya, it's best if you speak some Thai, as regards my 3 years there unless you were walking over a open drain then maybe a bad stink .

i want say i have a lot of respect for the people of India. 

i see their families in Pattaya and the are very well dressed and well behaved.

The men do make an effort to dress nicely even if they are on a budget.

India is a democracy and they have a large space program.

5 hours ago, reargunnerph3 said:

There are some very rich Indians but they go to quality destinations that rich people can afford and Pattaya isn't one of them. 1 Chang 5 straw Indians come to Pattaya.

Exactly, bang on the money, low end destinations like pattaya attract low end tourists, no matter what the nationality.

pattaya has a reputation and most respectable tourists wouldn't give it a look. 

I see the looks people get when they speak of pattaya, this is anywhere in Asia. 

Simply mention you are travelling , or have been to pattaya, people immediately look down on you, 

world class family destination? I hardly think so.

scesspool of Asia, no doubt!

So if Indians is the last hope and they do not come or stop to come, what then?

Total tourist industry collapse? 

But just 2 days ago, TAT stated 39 million coming this year, surely 39 million should be enough not to have "last hopes" 

Thailand just loves putting all its eggs into one basket

First it was Russians, half of country removed all english and thai writing and put russian on to attract them, naturally pushing away everyone else.

Then came the Chinese and the very same thing  happened, even long established popular places jumped on the wagon and naturally pushed everyone else away 

Now its the Indians? and whats next?

Anyone in Pattaya knew Vientiane Seafood Restaurant off Pattaya Tai, was a massive place, superb food and rather cheap prices. Was there for at least a few decades.

They jumped on Chinese wagon, parking lot was jammed with buses, locals stopped to go but so did the Chinese, place has closed down.

Indian restaurants have popped up on every corner in Pattaya, almost just as many as 7-11's, only all empty

So whats the plan for next year?  

13 minutes ago, Ron jeremy said:

Simply mention you are travelling , or have been to pattaya, people immediately look down on you, 

one of the first things i get asked by Thai women i meet here in Hua Hin and i learned to just flat out lie and say "I have never been to Pattaya."

but of course all the girls are way hotter in Pattaya so i am like a regular on the ferry.

14 minutes ago, Ron jeremy said:

Exactly, bang on the money, low end destinations like pattaya attract low end tourists, no matter what the nationality.

pattaya has a reputation and most respectable tourists wouldn't give it a look. 

I see the looks people get when they speak of pattaya, this is anywhere in Asia. 

world class family destination? I hardly think so.

scesspool of Asia, no doubt!

You must be socializing with some very well educated and traveled people, because i have been through all SEA and hardly anyone knew what Pattaya was and few who did, thought it was a great place to party.

Bu then again, how would all those respectable people know what happens in Pattaya if they have not been

25 minutes ago, torturedsole said:

Bingo.  Women are generally treated as scum in their culture and most definitely not an attitude that's welcome in LOS.  

But sending your mother, daughter, sister, girlfriend, or wife, to a southern Thai province, to work in the sex trade. is perfectly acceptable.  ????

1 minute ago, Leaver said:

But sending your mother, daughter, sister, girlfriend, or wife, to a southern Thai province, to work in the sex trade. is perfectly acceptable.  ????

That's not my choice so please do not infer that it is or relatable to me or my family.  You've no idea of the dynamics of Thai necessities and neither do I.   

1 minute ago, torturedsole said:

That's not my choice so please do not infer that it is or relatable to me or my family.  You've no idea of the dynamics of Thai necessities and neither do I.   

But you criticize the men of one culture for they treatment of their women, and then say, "that's not my choice." 

Are we talking about two nationalities of men, and their country's culture, or us, as individuals?  

I have a pretty good idea of the necessities of Thai's. 

Archived