Five immigration officers swoop! German on five day overstay arrested outside Pattaya hotel

webfact

If they are going to be this anal about a tourist overstaying a few days then the immigration officers better make sure the stamps are accurate and can easily be read. There have been times I could have missed a date due to ineligible stamps.

I remember having a couple stamps in my passport over the years where the stamped or sometimes hand written date was totally illegible which could easily lead to the tourist misunderstanding.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the good news is that apparently there are no drug dealers or other criminals running around, apparently, otherwise why would a team of FIVE be needed to apprehend one person, about whom there is no information that he is armed and dangerous.

Then, in a country that welcomes tourists, the person would get a warning, be told to report to the immigration later that day to collect his passport, pay a fine, gets a 7 day extension, instructions how to extend his stay if he so desires, and the message that further mistakes will not be accepted.
(and there would not be a reward for reporting people on overstay.)

That way one creates positive reviews.

by locking someone up for a minor offence, similar to criminals but for making an administrative mistake, one cannot expect a favourable review in the internet or anywhere else. (and hence later cannot be surprised that tourists are not coming as planned because the plan does not reflect a reasonable expectation.)
Maybe government and TAT and the IO should have a round table discussion how to positively and in coordination manage the image of the country.

2 minutes ago, KKr said:

the good news is that apparently there are no drug dealers or other criminals running around, apparently, otherwise why would a team of FIVE be needed to apprehend one person, about whom there is no information that he is armed and dangerous.

Then, in a country that welcomes tourists, the person would get a warning, be told to report to the immigration later that day to collect his passport, pay a fine, gets a 7 day extension, instructions how to extend his stay if he so desires, and the message that further mistakes will not be accepted.
(and there would not be a reward for reporting people on overstay.)

That way one creates positive reviews.

by locking someone up for a minor offence, similar to criminals but for making an administrative mistake, one cannot expect a favourable review in the internet or anywhere else. (and hence later cannot be surprised that tourists are not coming as planned because the plan does not reflect a reasonable expectation.)
Maybe PM office, TAT and the IO should have a discussion how to positively and in coordination manage the image of the country.

Well said, however I'm sure Fatty Prawit will be drooling with delight!

Well, there is no doubt they (Immigration) are throwing out messages.

On the one hand they are displaying their ability to read the hotel's (TM30) reports, deploy, and subject a visitor to such a drama which, according to their rules will lead to a 5 year ban for such a (previously) minor charge.

More to the point though, is the damaging message this will be giving to prospective and returning visitors. IMO it is little actions like these that can change entire country's tourist trends. The tourists locked into fixed return flights won't be affected, or shouldn't, but those with any sort of latitude towards travel arrangements? Who needs this sort of pressure while on holiday especially with such potentially severe punishment?

Granted, they are doing their jobs, orders coming from on high, and my first comment is subjective leading to his arrest, but still. Wringing the goose's neck one twist at a time. 

the average potential tourist thinking about visiting thailand seeing this might easily be swayed to visit a different country, like burma since their brutally repressive regime has a different approach.

considering pattaya is hurting for tourists now in high season you'd think immigration would place low priority on a 5 day tourist overstay and the media attention.

aint no nobel prizes on the horizon for thailand.

many an average tourist might overstay a few days.

• If you overstay your Burmese tourist visa, it's not that big of a deal (at least as of early 2019), you simply have to pay some fines. However, don't plan on doing this as it can complicate travels within the country
  • Here's what happens:
  1. Upon leaving the country (either airport or land border crossing), you will be asked to pay a fine of $3 USD per day for each day overstayed (and $5 per day after 90 days of over overstay). There is an office at the Yangon airport specifically to handle this, and after you've paid you'll get a stamp in your passport indicating that you're "cleared" to leave. Payment is by cash USD only
  2. If your visa expires while you're inside the country, it can complicate your travels a little bit because you won't be able to fly within the country as domestic airlines will check your visa when you check in. Buses and trains are supposed to check your visa as well, but they're much more lax (especially buses as they're all privately operated and they want money). Also, hotels and guest houses are not supposed to let you stay if you don't have a valid visa, but again most smaller guest houses will let it slide

This is terrible news for Thailand. The behaviour of the authorities is a disgraceful over kill for such a minor infringement of a civil code. The German in question will not return to Thailand and I doubt his friends and family will ever visit either.  Such stories gain attention in social media and 'storm trooper' actions are held in contempt. The tourist police should have helped him get a few days extension and given him a warning. This action was out of proportion and the officers involved and their superiors should be fired and publicly disgraced for tarnishing the image of Thailand.

4 hours ago, Yinn said:

Justget the visa.

This is about a minor infraction of immigration permit under the headlining news of 5 IO's swooping in on tourists and encouraging snitching on the hotline by locals. This German can now be fined, thrown in jail and banned for 5 years vs the 500THB a day fine he might have had. Hardly a picture postcard for a holiday destination. 

We all know it's 500 Baht a day which I have paid in the past as have many others but I really think this is over the top for only 5 days I think they should have a grace period of 30 days then arrest him,

The German will be telling all his friends this is worse than the Gestapo 

4 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

We all know it's 500 Baht a day which I have paid in the past as have many others but I really think this is over the top for only 5 days I think they should have a grace period of 30 days then arrest him,

The German will be telling all his friends this is worse than the Gestapo 

He could ask his grandad for confirmation.????

2 hours ago, Skallywag said:

So, you are 45 yo, book a holiday in Thailand, have your round trip ticket, get you Visa on arrival.  How do you overstay?  Do airlines let you book a return ticket for longer that your Visa allows as a tourist? 

@Skallywag Nope, maybe he did not get a round trip ticket. He wanted to travel to Malaysia later on, but had no ticket yet. I have entered Thailand on visa exemptions and never had a return ticket. Let´s assume for some strange reason he liked in Pattaya a lot and he has read that overstaying costs him 500THB a day and he figures "ok, that is quite affordable. I will stay a bit longer and just pay for the overstay."  A few years ago an immigration officer explained to me that it is often easier to just pay the fine and it would not affect future possible stays in the Kingdom.

1 hour ago, Yinn said:

sorry, this German guy brake the visa rule is not important for thailand. If I not read TVF I will not know about it, sure. Nobody talk about it. He brake the rule, police catch, same if he not where the helmet motorcycle.

@Yinn I think nobody here on this forum wants to defend overstaying. All reasonable criticism here goes towards the harshness of the response of the authorities. Same as if you were not wearing a helmet while riding a motorcycle and five police officers pass by your house to arrest you and put you to jail.

27 minutes ago, Cereal said:

What's the issue? Dude overstayed, he's in the country illegally and clearly healthy and able. Does it matter how illegal he is? 

@Cereal Of course, it matters.  The reaction of the authorities should always be appropriate and weigh in carefully the severity of the infraction. Following your logic, police could lock up everyone who is not wearing a helmet and then say "does it matter how illegal he is?"

Archived