Pattaya pushes infrastructure projects to boost tourism

snoop1130

Pattaya pushes infrastructure projects to boost tourism

By The Nation

800_f77f39f7627b4ff.jpg

Pattaya City has accelerated infrastructure construction to support the expansion of the Eastern Economic Corridor (EEC), expecting to boost the number of tourists to more than 2 million per year from the current 1.7 people, city deputy mayor Manoch Nongyai said on Wednesday (November 27).

The main project is the construction of a light rail system with a distance of around 8 kilometres, which can connect to the high-speed train station in Central Pattaya. It is expected to cost Bt7 billion to Bt8 billion.

“We will open a Public Private Partnership joint venture for the private sector, likely from China, to invest in this project. The construction will begin late next year along with the high-speed train project,” he said.

“After the opening of the light rail train service, we may have to change the route of mini buses and tour buses in order to reduce traffic congestion,” he said.

In addition, the Pattaya-On-Pier project -- based on the Pier 39 in San Francisco -- will be a new tourism attraction in Pattaya. The project consists of shops, pubs, restaurants and a water sports centre. There is also space for holding events and festivals.

“This project is expected to be completed by April next year. The area behind Pattaya Walking Street in South Pattaya is likely to be the location, in order to reduce concentration of tourist attractions and traffic congestion, as well as control coastal encroachment,” said Manoach.

“To develop existing tourist attractions, we plan to construct a cable car system at Pratumnak Hill. We will open a concession for private investment along with various infrastructure projects in the EEC.”

Moreover, the project to push Chon Buri and Pattaya to be a city of contemporary art and culture will enhance the image of the city and promote tourism in the future.

“Next year, we will promote and develop arts in various fields to enable people to add value to their handicrafts,” added Manoach.

Meanwhile, the Office of Transport and Traffic Policy and Planning is currently studying the development of the city and the transportation infrastructure system by using Pattaya as a model of Transit Oriented Development on the east.

Initial ideas are to develop Pattaya in four main zones: office buildings, commercial centres, MICE city, and residential area.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30378814

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-11-27

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

the Pattaya-On-Pier project -- based on the Pier 39 in San Francisco -- will be a new tourism attraction in Pattaya. The project consists of shops, pubs, restaurants and a water sports centre. There is also space for holding events and festivals.

“This project is expected to be completed by April next year. The area behind Pattaya Walking Street in South Pattaya is likely to be the location

Wow - not even sure of the location. A project consisting of shops, pubs, restaurants.... "expected to be completed by April" ?  Better start soon ! ????

42 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

Wow - not even sure of the location. A project consisting of shops, pubs, restaurants.... "expected to be completed by April" ?  Better start soon ! ????

yes sure it will attract indians who spend nothing and walk through and chinese groups take pics walk through eat 7 eleven noodles as walking but no farangs to spend the money the place requires right.

1 hour ago, snoop1130 said:

“After the opening of the light rail train service, we may have to change the route of mini buses and tour buses in order to reduce traffic congestion,” he said.

How about doing a study BEFORE you build this light train network and preempt its inevitable effect on traffic congestion?

2 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

In addition, the Pattaya-On-Pier project -- based on the Pier 39 in San Francisco -- will be a new tourism attraction in Pattaya. The project consists of shops, pubs, restaurants and a water sports centre. There is also space for holding events and festivals.

“This project is expected to be completed by April next year. The area behind Pattaya Walking Street in South Pattaya is likely to be the location, in order to reduce concentration of tourist attractions and traffic congestion, as well as control coastal encroachment,” said Manoach.

So it will be ready in less than 5 months but they can't say exactly where it will be?

i was in Pattaya for a month on my motorcycle. the roads were all torn up everywhere you looked.

beach road, second road, everywhere. it rained and beach road flooded. the Chinese tourists were trying to cross the road with traffic backing up.   

i have been all over Thailand and I don't remember the smell of open sewers like in Pattaya.

it would hit you in the face everywhere you went.

4 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The project consists of shops, pubs, restaurants and a water sports centre. There is also space for holding events and festivals.

And who is the target market?

Pattaya already has shops, pubs, and restaurants, and most of them are empty. 

5 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

expecting to boost the number of tourists to more than 2 million per year from the current 1.7 people, city deputy mayor Manoch Nongyai said on Wednesday (November 27).

In the paper today , it states there are already 450,000 people visiting Pattaya daily.

Come on guys and gals , before you put numbers out there , you must talk to each other.

How absurd.  This looks like another elite pay day.  Using tourism as an excuse.  Took a flight into the junta airport south of Pattaya during a major holiday.  It took about two hours, but I was there to see friends and did not mind.   As somebody said previously, tourists want a clean beach with clean water and fun.   It is amazing what people will say and get away with saying in this country. 

"What tourists would really like to see is clean water, rubbish free beaches, no traffic jams, less crime and a hassle free holiday."

I would add to this list: sidewalks wide enough to have people pass each other and level from one shop to next; eyesore and danger of overhead wires + some awnings etc that catch people taller than 5'5"; trash everywhere (not just beaches); some noise abatement...

Things mentioned above would be relatively inexpensive (which is why they won't be done) but would have far greater impact in tourists' having positive experiences.

Big projects = money easily "diverted" IMO

How many of us have asked ourselves "Do they ever listen to any foreigners, expats, tourists about what is needed, what they would like to see?" We know the answer is no...

If you put this pier which I think is a good idea on the water behind walking street I would assume that this will mean that they are going to have to shut down some of the bars on walking street that are encroaching on the water.

There is a great seafood spot that is on the water and is great for families in Pattaya but to get there you have to walk by a bunch of bars.

If that is the case then there is a strong and valid reason for putting the pier there.

BUT you have to move walking street to a new area away from the pier.    Once you put family entertainment in the area then you have a clash with the bars.  Example I think that Terminal 21 Asoke is a great lace but I would not go anywhere near NANA to the right or Asoke intersection to the right leaving there.

Pattaya needs to re invent itself into a family vacation location.  The Fat Brits and Euros have found cheaper watering holes closer to home.  

Anybody think this light rail system will go ahead...not me!! And the baht bus routes will be moved to avoid congestion...ya think!!! They might have something to say about that...oh yeah, like they did last time a monorail was mentioned, guess what...Baht bus mafia 1 Monorail 0.

13 hours ago, Lungstib said:

What tourists would really like to see is clean water, rubbish free beaches, no traffic jams, less crime and a hassle free holiday. Extra people doesn't quite cut it. 

Just look what the Indians have done in their own country!  River Yamuna.

image.png.f472118bec0aa34126eaed713fd64bb8.png

11 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

i was in Pattaya for a month on my motorcycle. the roads were all torn up everywhere you looked.

beach road, second road, everywhere. it rained and beach road flooded. the Chinese tourists were trying to cross the road with traffic backing up.   

i have been all over Thailand and I don't remember the smell of open sewers like in Pattaya.

it would hit you in the face everywhere you went.

I can remember Bangkok smelling like open sewers, 30 years ago. Perhaps Pattaya is looking to be nostalgic?   

Archived