Pattaya pushes infrastructure projects to boost tourism

snoop1130

1 hour ago, Srikcir said:

Chinese funding in almost every newly planned transportation infrastructure project since Prayut came to power. 

There's really no indication of any Thailand-based private investment in Thailand.

The former is great for China's GDP growth rate; the latter is a sad reality it seems that Thai private investment is unwilling to take such risks that weakens Thailand's chances for GDP growth rate. 

Chinese don’t pay into infrastructure projects for return on investment- just a means of buying a country

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm all for infrastructure improvements--but I'm not sure new restaurants and entertainments qualify for that.  As others have said, I'd like to see more of the basics tackled.  The unglamorous things like better sidewalks, overhead pedestrian crossings, more trash cans, public bathrooms, more street lighting and better street lighting maintenance, overhead wire management, road improvements with more attention to intersections and U-turns, and better utilization of the existing baht bus system, among many others.

Recently, perfectly good sidewalks were torn out on North Pattaya Road and new, blue ones were installed.  North Pattaya Road already had some of the best sidewalks in Pattaya (probably just a total coincidence City Hall is there). Instead of spending time and city budget money there, why didn't they work on the horrid sidewalks on Pattaya Second Road--one of the busiest roads for tourists?  Some areas of the road have no sidewalks at all and the tourists have to walk in the busy street.   Pattaya needs far better planning of its public works.  And, Pattaya needs to demonstrate much improved crawling before it thinks it's ready to walk, let alone run. 

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

How about dealing with the waste water management system so the ocean isn't polluted.
How about dealing with the piles of rubbish that doesn't get collected that stinks in the midday heat.

How about sorting out the beach so it doesn't disappear every year.

How about sorting out the CCTV so that thieves don't get a free pop at tourists every day.

How about sorting out the taxis and tuk tuk mafia.

I could go on.... but I think you get the message, forget the grand plans fix what you got first!!!!

in the past, Thailand enjoyed big tourist numbers, and they were the tourists who had big money to spend, and those tourists still came to Thailand, despite all the negatives, some of which you mention.  Thailand then rested on its laurels, and made no improvements to conditions and facilities for tourists.  

That was fine when Thailand was cheap, and everyone was a 2 week millionaire.

Now, Thailand is expensive, when compared to other countries / destinations in the region, and those other countries / destinations don't have the negatives that Thailand have, so Thailand no longer offers a pleasant, value for money holiday.

Thailand is rapidly losing western tourist market share to its competitors, and their only answer thus far is to market to China and India with cheap package holidays, to fill the void. 

Once you lose your market share, it's very difficult to lure it back.

Thailand is heading in the same direction as the Nokia phone company. 

17 hours ago, Lungstib said:

What tourists would really like to see is clean water, rubbish free beaches, no traffic jams, less crime and a hassle free holiday. Extra people doesn't quite cut it. 

Seems pretty basic-they will never get it.

1 hour ago, newnative said:

I'm all for infrastructure improvements--but I'm not sure new restaurants and entertainments qualify for that.  As others have said, I'd like to see more of the basics tackled.  The unglamorous things like better sidewalks, overhead pedestrian crossings, more trash cans, public bathrooms, more street lighting and better street lighting maintenance, overhead wire management, road improvements with more attention to intersections and U-turns, and better utilization of the existing baht bus system, among many others.

Recently, perfectly good sidewalks were torn out on North Pattaya Road and new, blue ones were installed.  North Pattaya Road already had some of the best sidewalks in Pattaya (probably just a total coincidence City Hall is there). Instead of spending time and city budget money there, why didn't they work on the horrid sidewalks on Pattaya Second Road--one of the busiest roads for tourists?  Some areas of the road have no sidewalks at all and the tourists have to walk in the busy street.   Pattaya needs far better planning of its public works.  And, Pattaya needs to demonstrate much improved crawling before it thinks it's ready to walk, let alone run. 

Oh you silly foreigners, that’s not the way it works in Thailand.  It’s our country, and we know how to do it-the finesse of thainess ????

2 hours ago, barsie said:

Chinese don’t pay into infrastructure projects for return on investment- just a means of buying a country

Some years ago I was in Nepal.  The Chinese built a road from their border to the capital, Kathmandu.  At the point where it intersected with the road that came up from India there was a billboard-sized sign that said, in three languages, "You are in the Kingdom of Nepal on a Chinese road."  This was a thick reinforced concrete sign (you could see the rebar) that could stand the stress of gunfire.

16 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

i have been all over Thailand and I don't remember the smell of open sewers like in Pattaya.

it would hit you in the face everywhere you went.

ummm, that may not have been sewage, per se.

Were you anywhere near Soi 6 ?

18 hours ago, Lungstib said:

What tourists would really like to see is clean water, rubbish free beaches, no traffic jams, less crime and a hassle free holiday. Extra people doesn't quite cut 

It seems the visionaries are blind to the reality that their time has come and gone. Greed, unsafe practices, corruption and pollution should be the city slogan. 

18 hours ago, Lungstib said:

What tourists would really like to see is clean water, rubbish free beaches, no traffic jams, less crime and a hassle free holiday. Extra people doesn't quite cut it. 

Today's tourist are also looking for clean air, no burning, no rubbish lying around

Fire the entire lot of decision makers, close down the Tourism Authority of Thailand for good and check what is left behind. No need to lock the barn after all the chickens are out.

Pattaya‘s heydays are long gone and only fools and idiots believe in White Xmas in summer .........

5 hours ago, waders123 said:

First:  Invest heavily into wastewater management; reroute all wastewater and runoff away from the ocean to an inland treatment facility.  The beach will be more attractive to the tourist.

Second:  Set limits and hours that tour buses are allowed to be operated on the streets in Pattaya.

Third:  Invest heavily and enforce mass transit along major routes in Pattaya.

This are things that need to take priority over more restaurants on the waterfront.  

Bulldoze Walking Street into oblivion, both sides. Then build sustainable wastewater management and treatment plants and maintain them and thirdly build a comprehensive, integrated and efficient mass rapid transit system that is truly fit for purpose.

Wake me up when it's done.

17 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

i was in Pattaya for a month on my motorcycle. the roads were all torn up everywhere you looked.

beach road, second road, everywhere. it rained and beach road flooded. the Chinese tourists were trying to cross the road with traffic backing up.   

i have been all over Thailand and I don't remember the smell of open sewers like in Pattaya.

You came all the way from Hua Hin on a motobike to Pattaya to stay there for a month? Will they still greet you now in HH?

Don’t waste your money, Pattaya is currently dead as a Dodo, and it ain’t never going to recover it’s washed up. When are these 30 million 10,000 baht a day big spending Indians about to arrive. I did see 4 the other day coming out of a 7/11 knocking the tops off their 30 baht small Changs ????????????

How do Pattaya's grandiose expansion plans square with Thailand's commitment to the UN's "sustainable development" program? I thought we were all supposed to be reducing our carbon footprint, not inflating by encouraging millions more long-haul flights.

Nothing I'm going to say is going to stop this nonsense!  but regardless here it goes anyway to get it off my chest!

The officials really need to stop all these idea's because first they are working with a <deleted>hole in Pattaya. All these idea are just to continue to line their own pockets.

Stop and think official show so pride in yourself, how many times are you going to tear up Beach Road and every other Soi in Pattaya, How many times are you going to dig up the City to put in a Tram, then when that is finished again for the bullet train. You spend what 4 years to put in a tunnel at Pattaya Klang tear the road up two years later come back and tear it up to put in drains this is going right now throughout Pattaya. How many times have they torn up Pattaya Klang?

Every official and department seem to be not talking so the right hand doesn't know what the left is doing?  the only thing is they know is how to propose project then skim off the top of those project it is what goes around comes around project it is sickening especially when the Thai citizens are paying the price they are so use to it they have become numb or just plain dumb?

What this city need first is to get rid of all the officials then bring it a outside party to create a Master plan, create a new map and find out who has build illegal and then tear it down! With the new plan section by section restructure with real solutions that can actually take care of all the problems.

It is sickening to watch all the money being wasted, when there is much needed projects like waste management, sanitation, water management the list goes on that can better the lives of everyone including tourist.

Worse of all the money being wasted while Thais even have to pay for schools for their children with the money being throw around this is one country who can make sure every kid gets a top notch education and every Thai have adequate medical attention.

For a country this size with the money flowing the leaders have failed in doing their job!

On 11/27/2019 at 6:11 PM, Lungstib said:

The much-favoured tourists of the year (Indians, Chinese, Russians) were born with all the above qualities, they don't expect else...

9 hours ago, Skallywag said:

Jomtien, South Pattaya, North Pattaya and Koh Larn are still considered safe, he said, but the decline in quality is worrying and worsening.....

Pattaya’s main wastewater-treatment plant is on Soi Nongyai, which can process up to 80,000 cu. meters daily. A proposed second phase would bring total capacity up to 130,000 cu. meters a day and currently is undergoing environmental assessment.

A second plant serving the Jomtien Beach area is located on Soi Wat Boonkan­chanaram and receives about 20,000 cu. meters of water a day, but has the capacity to handle 63,000 cu. meters daily. https://pattayacityhome.com/news/clearing-pattaya-shorewater

They say they are "Studying" the wastewater problem and looking at solutions.  Possible that the new storm drains along beach road being installed now will help about 1.5 meters in diameter.  It is sad that the Pattaya has ignored this problem for many years.  Jomtien can handle much more wastewater, but how to get it there

There are many contributing factors with the quality of the ocean water around Pattaya, untreated sewerage run off, storm water run off from polluted city channels, too many tour boats operating around the beach, marine life all most extinct, tourist boats dumping waste over board, just to name a few, generally the public doesn't give a sh###t about pollution, more about how to make more Barht. 

On November 27, 2019 at 8:39 AM, NCC1701A said:

i was in Pattaya for a month on my motorcycle. the roads were all torn up everywhere you looked.

beach road, second road, everywhere. it rained and beach road flooded. the Chinese tourists were trying to cross the road with traffic backing up.   

But it's a world class family destination attracting a high end crowd!????????????????????????

15 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Bulldoze Walking Street into oblivion, both sides. Then build sustainable wastewater management and treatment plants and maintain them and thirdly build a comprehensive, integrated and efficient mass rapid transit system that is truly fit for purpose.

Wake me up when it's done.

I fail to see why posters that obviously don't like Pattaya for what it is and has been since before they arrived want to live there.

Surely there are places in LOS more suitable for their druthers?

16 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Bulldoze Walking Street into oblivion, both sides.

They were incapable of removing the '100 businesses ' located on the seaward side of Walking St despite them apparently having been built illegally. I would keep the bulldozer bucket down all the way to Sukhumvit and get rid of Tai! Walking St itself is quite a draw. 

18 hours ago, Caine said:

Don’t waste your money, Pattaya is currently dead as a Dodo, and it ain’t never going to recover it’s washed up. When are these 30 million 10,000 baht a day big spending Indians about to arrive. I did see 4 the other day coming out of a 7/11 knocking the tops off their 30 baht small Changs ????????????

Perhaps bars and restaurants will be replaced by 7/11's and Family Marts, to cater for the new tourist demographic.  ????

Archived