Norwegian Air to end Sweden, Denmark routes to U.S., Thailand

snoop1130

Norwegian Air to end Sweden, Denmark routes to U.S., Thailand

fgrt.PNG

A Norwegian Air plane is refuelled at Oslo Gardermoen airport, Norway November 7, 2019. Picture taken November 7, 2019. REUTERS/Lefteris Karagiannopoulos

OSLO (Reuters) - Budget airline Norwegian Air (NWC.OL) is ending flights from Copenhagen and Stockholm to the United States and Thailand while increasing the frequency with which it flies from several European cities to U.S. destinations, it said on Wednesday.

Flights between Oslo and the U.S. will continue, it added.

“Scandinavia isn’t big enough to maintain intercontinental flights from Oslo, Stockholm and Copenhagen,” Senior Vice President Commercial Matthew Wood said in a statement.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-11-27

How can this be a surprise? and it also sends a message to TAT that it's not as business a usual 2019. Thailand with the strong Bath make tourists rethink their holiday destination. The way Thais is scamming one of the most important revenue stream to the country are unbelievable. I have lived here in Thailand for 5 years + and my wife and today I went to Bang Saray and Jomtien , we never ever seen it so empty.. So I understand why the Airlines cancel their flights to the land of Smiles, Not worth it anymore... But it might help Thai Air to get a little bit more customers. But Thai logic is to increase their prices so let's se what happens...

On 11/27/2019 at 6:32 PM, snoop1130 said:

“Scandinavia isn’t big enough to maintain intercontinental flights from Oslo, Stockholm and Copenhagen,” Senior Vice President Commercial Matthew Wood said in a statement.

It is big enough but Scandinavians are not stupid to pay for nothing... A few years ago the flights was next to full, but the holiday and transportation cost must be justified as an example the Swedish Krona has been depreciated since 2014 4,50 until today 3,15 against THB...

Well not entirely true, they will keep the winter route Oslo - Bangkok , but stop flying during the summer months April- September.
But flights to Thailand from Stockholm and Copenhagen are now history. 

I fly this route every year Oslo-BKK, and I hope it will be with Norwegian even after 2020. 

21 hours ago, balo said:

Well not entirely true, they will keep the winter route Oslo - Bangkok , but stop flying during the summer months April- September.
But flights to Thailand from Stockholm and Copenhagen are now history. 

I fly this route every year Oslo-BKK, and I hope it will be with Norwegian even after 2020. 

I hope you are right but as it looks right now I'm not certain due to less people are traveling from Norway compared with Copenhagen and Stockholm , but I hope you are right, I don't want to use Thai Air. overpriced etc. ...

On 11/29/2019 at 2:29 PM, spetersen said:

I'm not certain due to less people are traveling from Norway compared with Copenhagen and Stockholm

Maybe, but flights via Oslo are increasing , and it will help them to belong to a larger network when they team up with JetBlue in the US. 
But in the end it's the market that decides the next move.  

8 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

Their contractor employment model is exploitative using every loophole to pass on social costs to the employee. I welcome their inevitable demise.

Complete nonsense. The salaries of Thai flight attendants with base in BKK , earns more than the Thai Airways staff!   As long as they follow the regulations in Thailand and are competitive they are not unhappy , on the contrary.  
Regarding the foreign pilots who are not Thai, if they choose to live in Thailand , why should they receive the same salary as Norwegian pilots living in Scandinavia, a 5 times more expensive country?  

Archived