Motorcycle hits bicycle: who is at fault?

Sheryl

What is Thai law on this?

Daughter of my Cambodian handyman/gardener was bicycling home from school and another student driving a motorcycle very fast hit her. Totalled the bicycle and injured the girl but luckily not seriously. Motorcyclist also not seriously hurt, some damage to moto.

The motorcyclist is demanding money which seems outrageous to me. (1) they were driving too fast  and (2) I would expect that in a motorcycle vs bicycle collision motorcycle would automatically be liable.

Anyone know Thai law on this?

• Confused 3

The Thai motorcyclist is also a student who has not yet reached the age of legal responsibility. His parents are still responsible so cops won't be overly interested here. How are these demands for money manifesting themselves? One-on-one with the your gardeners daughter? Either way, a doubt a kid can demand anything... yes, I know it's Thailand and the 'victim' here is Cambodian but maybe someone needs to speak with the motorcyclists parents?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

The Thai motorcyclist is also a student who has not yet reached the age of legal responsibility. His parents are still responsible so cops won't be overly interested here. How are these demands for money manifesting themselves? One-on-one with the your gardeners daughter? Either way, a doubt a kid can demand anything... yes, I know it's Thailand and the 'victim' here is Cambodian but maybe someone needs to speak with the motorcyclists parents?

The parents are the ones demanding the money.

There is a meeting tomorrow at the school about it hence my desire to understand the legal aspect.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

1. It's Thailand the foreigner is at fault.

2. It's a civilized country - smaller the vehicle the greater the right of way. Pedestrians most of all.

What do you think?

- who hit whom? Appears the Moto hit the bicycle.

- Was the bicycle hit in the rear?

- was anyone crossing traffic and should yield?

- above but presumably moto coming so fast as to be unseen to react in time.

At face value it would appear the moto at fault imo.

The Moto hit the bicycle.

The bicycle had  turned right from left lane to go into the driveway. No other vehicle in sight when she started the turn. It is a very quiet country road.

The motorcycle came roaring up while she was still in the middle of the road. Honked but did not slow down, the girl was afraid to move forward or back when the moto honked not knowing what the moto would do so stayed still (seems sensible to me - enable the moto to gauge her position and go around her).

Moto despite having seen her did not slow down. Crashed right into her hitting broadside. Moto was not driving in the left lane but rather near the center of the road.

No witnesses though so we cannot prove she did not turn abruptly right in front of the moto (which still shouldn't have been in the center of the road I think).

I doubt anyone is much up for trying to wade through the minutiae of which vehicle was exactly where, though. I just thought there might be an automatic rule or cultural norm when it is motorcycle vs bicycle. There is in Cambodia, the moto is automatically at fault. Likewise car vs moto, the car is.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I had a similar experience, except it was a car vs. a motorcycle. Both were a really at fault and nobody was responsible. Light damage to both vehicles. I matched their claim for compensation and at the end, after about an hour or so, we shake hands and went each to our own.

Maybe try that strategy and ask for compensation for the girl.

In general, the longer you can draw it out, week or months, the lower the expectation for any compensation will drop. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Motorbike properly taxed/insured?

Age of student on motorbike?

Student has driving license?

(and even if and age 15 to 18 the motorbike most not be bigger than 110 ccm)

If family of student is "hiso", forget above questions.

I don't know if taxed/insured.  The driver did NOT have a license.

Not remotely hiso. Lower middle class rural people.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

In many countries liability is automatically ascribed to the motorcycle or car in a collision with a bicycle or pedestrian. This is so in the US and also in Cambodia.

May or may not be like that in Thailand, this is what I am trying to ascertain. Both the law and normative practice.

Not in the UK. Increasingly cyclists are being prosecuted for a variety of traffic transgressions.

41 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I just thought there might be an automatic rule or cultural norm when it is motorcycle vs bicycle. There is in Cambodia, the moto is automatically at fault. Likewise car vs moto, the car is.

I've heard Thais think this also so whoever plays arbitrator may think the same.

Girls word against motorbike riders word so she can maintain its his fault and going too fast. No one can prove either way, so hopefully it will be dropped. I'm not sure having a falang there will help her case

The Cambodian gardener is very poor and it's difficult enough for them to come to Thailand and work in a foreign land with meagre salary.

The motorcyclist is unreasonable in demanding money from a poor girl who is probably struggling to earn money for their daily food.

Motorcyclist is the one should pay for damaging the bicycle and injuring the poor girl. I always slow down in small lanes so as not to hit anybody.

I've seen many Thai motorcyclists revving in small lanes as if he owns the road.

Bring the case to the police station.

Edited by EricTh

First question I would ask at any meeting is show me the driving licence of the motorcycle rider, then show me the insurance certificate. If neither is forthcoming, tell the parents they will need a very good lawyer. Pay nothing.

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Anyone know Thai law on this?

Ask to see the student drivers ID, tax, insurance and driving licence and cc of the M/c.

My bet is the m/c driver was underage and/or no D/L.

End of story.

(needs to be over age 15 for under 110cc, over age 18 for over 110cc.)

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, EricTh said:

The Cambodian gardener is very poor and it's difficult enough for them to come to Thailand and work in a foreign land with meagre salary.

The motorcyclist is unreasonable in demanding money from a poor girl who is probably struggling to earn money for their daily food.

Motorcyclist is the one should pay for damaging the bicycle and injuring the poor girl. I always slow down in small lanes so as not to hit anybody.

I've seen many Thai motorcyclists revving in small lanes as if he owns the road.

Bring the case to the police station.

The warning alone to involve cops should be enough to change their thinking in a positive way for the poor Cambodian girl .

Let's face it here and now. Thais look down at people from countries like Cambodia, without even looking into a mirror.

Time to show them that they are so wrong. 

I think KhunBenq is on to something.

Many students do NOT have drivers licenses

I would ask they they produce proof of licence, registration and insurance

The law states you must be in control of a motor vehicle at all times. If a motorcycle hit a bicyclists this does not appear to be the case.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Ask to see the student drivers ID, tax, insurance and driving licence and cc of the M/c.

My bet is the m/c driver was underage and/or no D/L.

End of story.

(needs to be over age 15 for under 110cc, over age 18 for over 110cc.)

She is around 13-14. No license.

I have no idea re tax & insurance on the moto.

But my question was really what is the norm here when it is moto vs bicycle. Are the 2 vehicles treated equally i.e. same as if it had been 2 motos that collided or is there a greater liability ascribed to the moto.As is the case in many places.