Tourism: Thailand set to introduce "Double Tourist Visa", govt secretary

webfact

2 hours ago, keith101 said:

When will they understand that it is the bad exchange rate that is keeping them away and is expected to get worse next year and a potential double entry visa might attract a few tourists but I doubt many would consider staying longer costing more money .

The bad exchange rate will not be around forever. This is a good decision. A lot of travelers like to tour a few countries in SE Asia. From Europe and the US it is a fair plane flight. People want to make the most of the trip.

Anything that makes things easier for travelers to fulfill their trip wishlist without causing undue stress is a good thing.

I'd like to see it as a multiple entry fixed time visa and be done with the 2 entry limit.

• Sad 1

One media outlet even mentioned that a "multiple entry" visa was being considered. 

What will be the difference between the current METV and the new "multiple entry tourist visa"? So moving forward there will be a SETV, METV, a Double Entry Tourist Visa and a 2nd Multiple Entry Tourist Visa.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sunnyboy2018 said:
1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

"The way immigration clowns are acting will only deter tourists".

What does that mean?  How are IOs "acting" that invokes so much ire in you?

"This so-called government have absolutely no idea how to run a country, tourists are put off by that as well".

I doubt many tourists give a damn about how well you think the government does it's job!

Potential tourists do research on the Internet.  Currently Thailand is in the news for all the wrong reasons and putting people off. Mass police actions against overstayers,   armed police and army thugs marching around entertainment areas intimidating foreigners, over crowding of roads and streets and heritage areas caused by Chinese mass tourism, the lack of rule of law, military junta is just scary for some potential visitors, insane drug laws,  and the expense due to the currency.

You love your bit of dramatic over-exaggeration, don't you?  Where do you get all that from?

"Mass police actions against overstayers..."

There is not "mass" police action happening but, even if there was, it would be against illegal overstayers that has nothing, whatsoever, to do with genuine tourists who do not overstay, i.e. all of them!

"...deaths of foreigners..."

What?  People, foreigners or otherwise die everyday, all over the world, it's not a Thailand speciality (it will happen to you and I also one day) so which deaths of foreigners are so high, currently, in the minds of normal tourists that they are being dissuaded from coming here?

"...armed police and army thugs marching around entertainment areas intimidating foreigners..."

That is simply untrue nonsense.   Have you got an example of "police and military thugs marching around" intimidating tourists anywhere?

"...over crowding of roads and streets and heritage areas caused by Chinese mass tourism..."

Where's your evidence of tourist arrivals being affected by any of that?  Tourists are part of mass tourism, why should that concern them?

"the lack of rule of law"

Whether that's an accurate observation in general or not, it's irrelevant to current tourist numbers as the law has been like that for many decades, it's not something that has changed and is likely to affect visitors who do not expect to be involved, in any way, with law enforcement!

"insane drug laws".

What is so "insane" about Thailand's drug laws that is affecting tourists' decisions to come here?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, tabarin said:

Like they ever wanted suggestions, then there would be a 1 year visa access for those with 1000 usd monthly, (easily to proof) already since years.
Or a long stay visa for digital nomads, to get tech people and knowledge in (requested and demanded since 6+ years).

But no, no, no. We are Thailand, we are superior. People will always keep coming back to Thailand for holiday, it is the only good place on earth.

It was however possible to apply for METV in Laos for a short period of time, but they waived it since the embassies there probably had too much to do.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, keith101 said:

When will they understand that it is the bad exchange rate that is keeping them away and is expected to get worse next year and a potential double entry visa might attract a few tourists but I doubt many would consider staying longer costing more money .

Couldn't have put it better Keith 101

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lapamita said:

hmm double entry or METV with multientry ??

what diffrent

nothing new or i miss something ?

Hopefully the METV will be changed to 1 year validity if a double entry tourist visa is introduced?

• Like 1