Tourism: Thailand set to introduce "Double Tourist Visa", govt secretary

webfact

3 minutes ago, Kaopad999 said:

Crazy isn't it, especially when the government dont do anything about huge amounts of pollution in Chaing Mai during the burning season. Just imagine how many people are effected by that ! yet smoking on a beach can land you in jail.... 

Blame the fertilizer companies for that , a lighter should be 2,000 b in this country, everybody has one and burn is a priority , even next to a jungle they can’t throw their leaves over a fence Lazy buggers 

24 minutes ago, CLS said:

There was a double entry tourist  visa many moons ago.

Not many moons ago......My old passport is full of them...I lived off back to back double tourist visas from Laos for many years before I turned 50.....They were easy to get up until about 2012.....I think around 2014? is when they got rid of them......

• Like 1

6 hours ago, keith101 said:

When will they understand that it is the bad exchange rate that is keeping them away and is expected to get worse next year and a potential double entry visa might attract a few tourists but I doubt many would consider staying longer costing more money .

Is it not called a METV at present anyway ????

So a double entry visa instead of..... getting your passport stamped twice!.  Perhaps removing the TM30 may help but with a high baht, pollution and plastic running rampant and safety lacking I am not sure whether the double entry will help (no innuendo implied!). 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

It's actually a very good initiative. Especially if visa become online, multi-entry, for directly 2 or 3 months (without a unneccesary visit to immigration).

I don't know if many here travel to Cambodia and Vietnam and Laos, but let's be honest : Thailand is far the best for quality (hotel, food, transport, massage, etc.), security, tranquility <deleted> ! Vietnam is so f. noisy for exemple ! Stupid klaxon all the time... Availability of products, shopping center...

But... Chinese go massive in Vietnam for exemple. Many shop here speak chinese. Massive hotel all the coast, ugly but adapted to chinese mass, cheap...

-> Compétition increase for tourism now in SE Asia. 

So Thailand want to keep a lead, and this visa upgrade would be good play (if online, and no "bad lotery at airport")).

There is a chance too Thai immigration will move back to be expat friendly, because what happen since a few years, making it hard for expats (or partial expats), has made a lot to go away (counting as tourist i guess and anyway was big source of income). So next : get rid of bad immigration at check-point (must be checked before, period, arrival should be "welcome" again), get rid of the massive paperwork and repetitive visit to immigration, stupid rules everytime you move, etc. well : just make expat feel their money is welcome again... Make it "easy Thailand if you can pay" again.

IMO Thailand made the mistake to count only on short-term tourism from China and India.

But shorter trips, big compétition... Thailand may reconsider expats.

So first step : visa 3 months, online, multi-entry (i forgot this stupid re-entry permit too wich was such a bad example of uneccessary paperwork and problems).

And no surprise at airport.

And get rid of all the uneccessary and all-the-time changing rules for expats (90 days, change of address, notification on return, etc.)

= Sure more tourists, travellers, expats. = more money. Should be ok ???? 

Edited by Sambotte

Once EVERY ENTRY POINT is playing by the same rules and regulations that ACTUALLY are the right ones I will believe this will make it better!

Until then I’ll continue to spit out my coffee in absolute and uncontrollable laughter at these silly things lol (Yes I am currently laughing out loud) ???? 

• Haha 1

Anyone can jump on here & moan about the Baht being too strong but Thailand's financials (at least) are right & the the first world countries are struggling with balancing the books & most are in a hell of a mess.

To devalue the Baht artificially & too quickly can bring other serious problems but would be interested to hear some constructive ideas