Pattaya: British pensioner killed on motorcycle making U-turn

webfact

10 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

I think I'm the one best placed to make that judgement call. I'll know when it's time to hang up my helmet and ain't anytime soon, I'm having too much fun!

Ones skills, in any aspect of life deteriorate if you allow them to. I don't!

Again, self perception and no tangible, independent points of reference. If one still thinks one is a hansum man, then there are no real losers. When one actually believes that they're still a hansum man contrary to all opinions and in defiance of science and nature, that's where it all gets a bit iffy.

Promise yourself that your epitaph won't be 'What the f*** was that?!' and I'll believe you've still got what it takes.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Good call wife. Glad to read that some Thai drivers have a bit of common sense. Having a rant at other drivers/riders is plain stupidity. And when a Thai does it we immediately call them immature and stupid. Don't we!

There's only one reason I turned off the microphone on my car dash cam and it has absolutely nothing to do with other road users.

5 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Again, self perception and no tangible, independent points of reference. If one still thinks one is a hansum man, then there are no real losers. When one actually believes that they're still a hansum man contrary to all opinions and in defiance of science and nature, that's where it all gets a bit iffy.

Promise yourself that your epitaph won't be 'What the f*** was that?!' and I'll believe you've still got what it takes.

There are many worse ways to die. And one of them is wasting ones life in an arm chair in front a TV thinking 'I'm too old to do that'. Sorry pal, you're trying to lecture the wrong person.

5 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

There's only one reason I turned off the microphone on my car dash cam and it has absolutely nothing to do with other road users.

Could be the same reason that I haven't told my wife about rider/pillion comms systems?

27 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

The DM's been unblocked for aeons already. Purge the internet cache and update any bookmarks.

Haven't a clue what your response was about.  Thanks for your efforts anyway.  As an aside, I never mentioned anything about DM being blocked in LOS as I'm already well aware.

17 minutes ago, thooktong said:

Thai are driving very often too fast. Just seen an accident with police and ambulance sorry. RIP

Let's not absolve the victim of responsibility in this.  Doing a U-turn there is bordering on a suicide mission which came to full fruition.  He may have survived with appropriate clothing and a decent helmet, but we'll never know now.  RIP to Mr Gresty, nonetheless. 

16 minutes ago, torturedsole said:

Haven't a clue what your response was about.  Thanks for your efforts anyway.  As an aside, I never mentioned anything about DM being blocked in LOS as I'm already well aware.

DM blocked? Read it every day, although I don't know why.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/index.html

4 hours ago, Borzandy said:

Somchai was late, so he was speeding.

No

4 hours ago, happy chappie said:

If the driver hadn't of painted his windscreen jet black he might of seen him.

John not where helmet, ride terrible way.

Somchai windows ok. Who will pay the damage? Is a lot, front, windscreen, passenger front window, door.  I hope have insurance.

4 hours ago, simtemple said:

If the Thai had any appreciation of road safety, or defensive driving, there would be a level of tolerance for driver error.

john dead because to much blood from his head. If he where the helmet, maybe he is alive now.

2 hours ago, Jim walker said:

RIP John G another fatality head injuries on a motorbike just shows that you need a proper accredited crash helmet not a building site hard hat especially on Thai roads  

Building hat might work this time.

17 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

DM blocked? Read it every day, although I don't know why.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/index.html

Again, thanks for your input, but my original post was categorically nothing to do with the DM being blocked in LOS.  I've read it twice today without a VPN so am fully aware that it's no longer blocked by ISPs in LOS.  

Let's clear this up, once and for all.  My original post was in regard to circumventing the DM adblocker warning and I providing the workaround.  That was it.  

I suspect NanLaew doesn't read posts that profoundly when he uses his spamming technique to reply to dozens of messages all at once which is why I generally don't read his posts.  

54 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

There are many worse ways to die. And one of them is wasting ones life in an arm chair in front a TV thinking 'I'm too old to do that'. Sorry pal, you're trying to lecture the wrong person.

I'm hearing you mate, but fair play. Incompetent riders cause most accidents. 

It's BLACK AND WHITE, if you're not experienced and elderly stay off Thai roads.

A younger person can get away with not having the skills, but as you age your judgement weakens. If you're in an accident your chances of serious injury increases. 

I know I've touched a nerve, but you elderly guys do your family and the community a favour, get a car 

4 hours ago, Moonlover said:

I can see right through the car and out through the rear window. What are you talking about?

Ok wise guy,what's the number on the truck behind it? 

Oh and by the way it takes some speed to rear end a scooter going in the same direction and do that much damage to the car.

A grammar police post and a reply has been removed:

Forum Netiquette:

3. If possible please proofread your post first, poor grammar and spelling can make the post difficult to understand. However be aware that not every member is a native English speaker and excessive posts regarding others spelling and grammar not only hijacks the topic but is poor netiquette.

52 minutes ago, happy chappie said:

Ok wise guy,what's the number on the truck behind it? 

Oh and by the way it takes some speed to rear end a scooter going in the same direction and do that much damage to the car.

I'll ignore your first stupid and ilogical question. However it is quite clear from the photo that the car does not have a 'jet black' windscreen. You can see the headrest very clearly.

As for your second comment, you obviously haven't read the details of the accident. This was not a rear end shunt at all. The motorcycle came from the left and swerved into the car's path.

Got it, wise guy?

5 hours ago, simtemple said:

If the Thai had any appreciation of road safety, or defensive driving, there would be a level of tolerance for driver error. Unfortunately the Thai don't understand anything except their own selfish interests. Consequently life is cheap in the land of the World's most dangerous roads. If you have a mind to holiday in Thailand, there's a high chance you'll join John. 

RIP

I've driven half a million kilometers in Thailand without more than a scrape. It can't all be my skill....The majority of Thais are perfectly reasonable drivers driving safely, defensively and with tolerance for driver error. They are generally not selfish. Life is not cheap. The roads are not the most dangerous in the world. There is an extremely low chance of being a victim. Apart from that your post is spot on. 

Rooster

10 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

This was not a rear end shunt at all.

Indeed.  The victim decided to chance his luck with a U-turn on the road to hell and paid the price.  A momentary lapse of judgement and lack of safety equipment cost the poor guy his life.  

I would suggest bikers that like to take chances look at the pictures of the three metre trickle of blood that emanated from the victim's head wound(s) to get a feel for what happens when you dice with death.  

Sorry to be so candid but lessons can be learned by the living if you so wish.  Up to you.

5 hours ago, NanLaew said:

I agree. Locking the windows and denying you a chance to vent. So stupid.

Your comment isn't lost on me, but as some have already commented on here and in previous threads, some of these stupid people try to mimic the Thais and their even dumber driving standards, it begs the question - WHY !!

4 hours ago, torturedsole said:

My misunderstanding, sorry. The DM was blocked by the authorities here for several years but re-reading your post, you are addressing current issues with the DM's adblocker.

4 hours ago, torturedsole said:

I suspect NanLaew doesn't read posts that profoundly when he uses his spamming technique to reply to dozens of messages all at once which is why I generally don't read his posts.

Oh, spare us your tortured soul.

8 hours ago, simtemple said:

Unfortunately the Thai don't understand anything except their own selfish interests.

Unfortunately it was John G (RIP) that appears to have been trying to get to the u-turn and ignoring the fast-moving, straight ahead traffic.

13 hours ago, johng said:

Ill add that it was not this John G     R.I.P   my namesake ????

I'm surprised there hasn't been more accidents at that  Makro U-turn   which encourages cutting across  4 lanes of fast traffic to get into the Makro entrance.

Right!!! The old U-Turn was much more safer.

Seems to be a lot of elderly guys here riding on these roads.

I've been riding motorbikes since the age of 10 years old. I joined a motorbike club at 12 years, I spent most weekends for several years learning riding skills.

These Thai roads are not a place for the elderly to learn how to ride. I'm sure there are many of you elderly guys that have the ability to ride and I say to you ride on and stay safe.

The point I'm making is for those who do not have the ability and those who are so stubborn and childish to think they do.
It's not just riding, I see all sorts of childish behaviour from mature aged guys here, so it doesn't surprise me to see the incompetent aged riding scooters here.
I see often and make comment to ride safely to those I see that are struggling with the scooter they are riding.

At the end of the day, Rossi, Stoner MotoGP riders in their 70's would hesitate to ride these dangerous roads.

19 hours ago, AtlasAus said:

I concur. I tend to go down to the lights and U turn there, a safer alternative, especially on a scooter... RIP

How sad. I wonder if the guy had a Thai partner waiting at home. It makes me think, despite how long it takes, when I get a bit older I need to park the bike and use the truck. I avoid Sukhumvit on the bike, I don't feel safe, although it may be easier for me being on the North side of town. But I feel the danger each time I go to immigration and have to use Suk a bit up to Soi Wat Bun, and try to get across to the right, I often seem to leave it too late and have to pull left and wait. Unforgiving traffic on Sukhumvit, on their phones, in a hurry, own the road.

10 hours ago, Momofarang said:

You can't win that one; ageism is the only ism socially acceptable that's left.

How about a bit of reverse ageism. All too often 

11 hours ago, Momofarang said:

You can't win that one; ageism is the only ism socially acceptable that's left.

Ageism might be 'socially acceptable' to some, but not to me. ????

On 11/28/2019 at 10:49 AM, VYCM said:

The sensible thing to do would to travel another couple of hundred metres and U turn at the traffic lights. 

Good life saving tip. Up north they stop and park before they turn left or right, to get a clear safe turn, no doubt saved thousands of lives over the year's.

Archived