Left at the nursery.....Dentist removes TWENTY teeth from four year old

webfact

Left at the nursery.....Dentist removes TWENTY teeth from four year old

5pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

A dentist went online to warn parents after he removed 20 infected milk teeth from the mouth of a four year old in Phuket. 

Although he said he was not apportioning blame to anyone he commented that the mother had left the child at a nursery. 

Dr "Ken" - Sathiian Ken Suravisankul on Facebook - said that the child was given 14 injections and 18 stitches. 

The operation needed a general as well as a local anesthetic with the help of staff from Patong Hospital. 

It was felt that it was better to do all the work in one go rather than prolong the trauma for the child over weeks.

The drastic action was necessary as the teeth were infected deep into the mouth to the nerves. Waiting until the milk teeth fell out naturally was not an option as those teeth waiting to come through underneath could also be infected.

The post caused much discussion online about caring for young children's teeth. 

Daily News said that the health authorities blame poor diet and poor oral hygiene for cavities and infection in the teeth of young children.

They advise good diet and proper brushing of teeth from the moment that teeth appear - not waiting until adult teeth are in the mouth. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-11-28

41 minutes ago, anterian said:

I'm happy to say that all the kids in my village appear to have excellent teeth, the main health problem is a tendency to overweight in the late preteens. 

Leading to an incredible diabetes problem in adulthood.

My lady has just spent several days tending to her mother in a diabetes ward in Udon. Her descriptions of other patients there were horrifying. So many of them were getting parts of their feet and legs lopped off. Family members were sleeping on floors, tasked with cleaning and feeding their relatives and even tending to wounds in some cases. There's simply not enough nursing staff, and the doctors appeared only sporadically.

Apparently many people in the villages have poor diets, avoid hospitals as scary and expensive and consider doctors as some sort of god-like being who can't be questioned. 

A reliance on traditional spiritual remedies and a reluctance to properly medicate results in a plague of epic proportions in a country boasting of being a medical hub.

The quality and availability of medical treatment outside of the Capital and other major centers leaves a lot to be desired. 

2 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

We moved to the wife's village after she had been away for 25 years. Every one of her school friends have diabetes.

I go every couple of months to my local village hospital to see my drug dealer there - my doctor who replenishes my pill supply to safeguard against high blood pressure etc. I know never to go on diabetes day as the place is packed and standing room only. People go there as early as 4am to book their 'spot' for when the doctor arrives at 10. There might be 200 there during the morning, judging from my queue ticket when I used to go on the wrong day.

But it's funny how Thais love to do things before dawn or soon after. Those at the hospital then have to wait 6-8 hours to see the doctor, whereas if they went in the afternoon it's almost walk straight in to the doctor.

2 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

We moved to the wife's village after she had been away for 25 years. Every one of her school friends have diabetes.

7 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Leading to an incredible diabetes problem in adulthood.

Diabetes is the big problem. Ranong/Phangnga Muslim have it more than Buddhist.

Because the diet. Eat a lot of deepfry. Chicken etc. 

This kid to much suger drink, sure. Water is the best drink for health long life. Or tea no suger.

Eat oil food/ drink suger, will have bad health and die young.

Diabetes is the silent killer.... years in the making but when it makes itself felt it's almost too late.

Most western & some Asian countries have got good education programmes and healthcare in place... Thailand is still in the dark ages, as for manufactures plugging their products full of sugar they should be banned.

9 hours ago, webfact said:

the health authorities blame poor diet and poor oral hygiene for cavities and infection in the teeth of young children.

First of all, glyphosate would have to be banned as it massively attacks the solid structure of the milk teeth. This already happens during pregnancy.  But the ban has just been postponed for six months or even longer. In a few years, children will generally no longer have healthy teeth, worldwide. It is just beginning....

6 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Standard issue for the Isaan yai to leave the kids sleeping with a bottle full of extra sweetened milk on their lips. Would rot stainless steel k9's in two minutes. TiT.

Sadly, you are right. Even a bottle of natural, unsweetened milk sipped at night will rot teeth.

12 hours ago, anterian said:

I'm happy to say that all the kids in my village appear to have excellent teeth, the main health problem is a tendency to overweight in the late preteens. 

This is the 7-11 generation

Archived