Warning, visa agency accessing immigration database

Just now, NE1 said:

I too have received one from Grace . 

Haven't a clue what it was about , just a bit peeved that agencies are getting an e-mail address of mine I only use wth my local Immigration office.

It's about offering to get you an extension without the funds in the bank for a wad of cash that they pass onto the IO after taking their cut, some people call it corruption.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mngmn said:

Thais responsible would just regard it as a clever idea or promoting their business.  When IOs hand out recycled paper containing personal details of all and sundry, why would anyone care? 

It's called data protection in developed countries

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Thailand said:

Yet another thread on exactly the same subject. So many threads here are duplicated numerous times, 

I guess it all adds to content and click bait.

Tomorrow I want to have an overstayer again and long time we didn't have TM30. 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

How did immigration get your email address. I have never had to put it on anything I have done at immigration.

Have you done online 90 day reports or registered to do TM30 reports online?

It is the address that I have used three times for 90 day reporting.

The exact lying scum agent is listed in other posts in this thread. I will use a different unique address the next time I report and block the one she stole.

She is drumming up business due to the OA situation.

4 hours ago, UncleMhee said:

Grace has to eat too......as for complaints; why don't you do it? Worried about the possible fallout?

Aaaaah, I was waiting on that kind of politically correct passive-aggressive smartass reply. And without fail, it came!
Well, I can't do it because I didn't get any email from "Grace" so I don't qualify for lodging a complaint.

2 hours ago, tgw said:

Aaaaah, I was waiting on that kind of politically correct passive-aggressive smartass reply. And without fail, it came!
Well, I can't do it because I didn't get any email from "Grace" so I don't qualify for lodging a complaint.

That's just a politically correct excuse for not taking action on something You personally see as being wrong. 

If it doesn't affect you personally, let someone else do it? Says a lot really!

Edited by UncleMhee
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, cmsally said:

I got this 2 years ago - from "Grace". They seem to know when my visa expires and have the email I use only for immigration. Have never used an agent before at all. Only one place they can get it!!

They even  know the country of issue of  my passport

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, wmlc said:

Clearly this agency is paying a corrupt officer in immigration for their database. //

So obvious the IO have sold the database to this agency!!!!  //

Not "obvious" at all. You have absolutely no proof that money is involved.

Could be an IO who wanted to help the Visa Agency of his wife by example... :sleep:

I and at least two of my neighbors got the same email from Grace near the time of our

extensions.  One replied to the agency which he said was located in Bangkok.  Anyway

since it looked to me to be a fraud issue and since I have never had any problems with

my visa nor extensions of stay for over 15 years I just ignored the email but realized as 

I realize with anything here, there are ways that agencies private or govt can access the

data files so ignore almost all.

18 hours ago, tgw said:

will someone have the balls to lodge a complaint with the cybercrime division of the RTP?

What's the crime?  Selling an email list?  Hell, governments all over the world sell your name, email and other information when you apply for a driver's license, buy a home, open a business, or any one of a hundred different actions.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, UncleMhee said:

That's just a politically correct excuse for not taking action on something You personally see as being wrong. 

If it doesn't affect you personally, let someone else do it? Says a lot really!

Lol, you are digging even deeper.

If I'm not affected personally, my complaint will not be received by police, because I have no damage to report nor will I have any evidence. Get it now?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, impulse said:

What's the crime?  Selling an email list?  Hell, governments all over the world sell your name, email and other information when you apply for a driver's license, buy a home, open a business, or any one of a hundred different actions.

It's confidential information of a private nature.

As for your claim of governments selling the kind of information you list, I don't remember ever hearing about such things in civilized countries other than in a scandal.

I only know about Germany, France, Switzerland. Sometimes you get information there too, but the source of information are public registers (births, deaths, marriages, company register, etc.)

Do you have any examples?

Edited by tgw

1 hour ago, tgw said:

It's confidential information of a private nature.

As for your claim of governments selling the kind of information you list, I don't remember ever hearing about such things in civilized countries other than in a scandal.

I only know about Germany, France, Switzerland. Sometimes you get information there too, but the source of information are public registers (births, deaths, marriages, company register, etc.)

Do you have any examples?

Email addresses can be acquired from anywhere, including partner websites that have the "I agree to be contacted by a third party" boxes. If you have ticked one of these boxes, the chances are your email address is purchasable from somewhere online.

Data can be obtained compliantly from a variety of sources, which include data partners government sources, publicly available data and market research data.

22 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

A email address is required for online reporting so that you get the notice it was approved (or rejected or disapproved).

Just make an email address for them, you can have as many as you want just don’t use it for anything, just special for them haha

20 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Why do you think the MFA could do anything about a Immigration Bureau issue? Immigration is under the Royal Thai Police not the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Yes. Conspiracy theory "experts" tend to be a little shaky on their factual details.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

How did immigration get your email address. I have never had to put it on anything I have done at immigration.

Have you done online 90 day reports or registered to do TM30 reports online?

Joe, this is off topic, but is it possible to pm you with a question. I posted it in TV several months ago but only received the usual smart aleck responses. I tried to send the questions to you via TV "contact us" but they just said to post it in the forum or pm you. Unfortunately there is no provision in your profile to do so.

22 hours ago, bbi1 said:

Why would anyone be stupid enough to give immigration your email address? Why would anyone be stupid to also put their email address on their arrival card? Well, I guess there are ones that do instead of leaving it blank or putting N/A.

I've given mine to immigration before and I'm sure many others have too. What is troublesome but not surprising about this is that someone inside immigration is selling the database to for profit companies. They are either doing it systematically, in which case that information should be disclosed or someone is selling it illegally. I doubt that it is being hacked but that is possible. None of the possibilities are good.

20 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

Joe, this is off topic, but is it possible to pm you with a question. I posted it in TV several months ago but only received the usual smart aleck responses. I tried to send the questions to you via TV "contact us" but they just said to post it in the forum or pm you. Unfortunately there is no provision in your profile to do so.

Just put your cursor on Joe's 'buffalo' icon, right click and choose 'Open link in new Tab/Window'.

Then click the black Message rectangle in the middle of the page with the green letter.

Note: if your question could be of relevance for other TVF members, it is preferable to open a new thread instead of posting PM.

1 hour ago, maxpower said:

Email addresses can be acquired from anywhere, including partner websites that have the "I agree to be contacted by a third party" boxes. If you have ticked one of these boxes, the chances are your email address is purchasable from somewhere online.

My email address used by, and only by, immigration in Thailand is not available anywhere else.

I never agree to be contacted by third parties.

Every contact with a company or official body (and many personal ones) gets a different easy to identify (by me) unique email address.

So I do know exactly who has been hacked or leaked my email. In this case it is the Thai immigration department.

in the past 10 years 2 other companies/agencies have been hacked or sold my address.

• Thanks 1