Warning, visa agency accessing immigration database

49 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Just put your cursor on Joe's 'buffalo' icon, right click and choose 'Open link in new Tab/Window'.

Then click the black Message rectangle in the middle of the page with the green letter.

Note: if your question could be of relevance for other TVF members, it is preferable to open a new thread instead of posting PM.

thanks Peter.

On 11/28/2019 at 6:11 AM, ubonjoe said:

How did immigration get your email address. I have never had to put it on anything I have done at immigration.

Have you done online 90 day reports or registered to do TM30 reports online?

TM6 has a field for email, and I am pretty sure the form for a 1 month extension also asks for this.

• Like 1

I have never ever had more to do with immigration other than fill in TM6. I didn't open the uninvited email but it was about (from the bit I can read without opening) about taking over landlord's duties to do TM30. This can only come from having stolen or harvested email address from TM6 in my case. 

On 11/28/2019 at 12:20 PM, bbi1 said:

Why would anyone be stupid enough to give immigration your email address? Why would anyone be stupid to also put their email address on their arrival card? Well, I guess there are ones that do instead of leaving it blank or putting N/A.

You can't use online reporting apps if not giving up your email address. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, dimitriv said:

TM6 has a field for email, and I am pretty sure the form for a 1 month extension also asks for this.

Not on the old TM6 form I completed a long time ago. 

Not needed for the TM7 form used for all extensions.

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

My email address used by, and only by, immigration in Thailand is not available anywhere else.

I never agree to be contacted by third parties.

Every contact with a company or official body (and many personal ones) gets a different easy to identify (by me) unique email address.

So I do know exactly who has been hacked or leaked my email. In this case it is the Thai immigration department.

in the past 10 years 2 other companies/agencies have been hacked or sold my address.

I was not responding to you. Read my post again and the quote above it.

Forums branch into levels beyond the original post, no need for the OP to take it all in hand.

Take a chill pill, people have been ripping E-Mails on the WWW since day one. Those who make a fuss often end up making their level of spam worse.

• Haha 1

On 11/28/2019 at 12:11 PM, ubonjoe said:

How did immigration get your email address. I have never had to put it on anything I have done at immigration.

Email addresses are required on visa renewal (or maybe it's work permit) and TM6. I Don't know about the others because I don't do them. 

1 hour ago, Yme said:

Email addresses are required on visa renewal (or maybe it's work permit) and TM6. I Don't know about the others because I don't do them. 

Email address on the TM6 is not a required item, it is up to you if you list it. I had a TM6. filled in at the table at Mukdahan Thai-Laos Immigration Check Point on Wednesday 27th by one of 4 young immigration ladies sitting at 2 tables filling in the TM6. for anyone who wanted it done and I was not asked for my email address and it was not listed on my TM6. It is not compulsory to list your email address on the TM6

Remember that Facebook does allow advertisers to target by age, gender, as well as originating country. Just by clicking or responding to an ad like that you would know which country the person is from, and how old they are, and if they are a male or female. If it's a lead ad and you accidentally click the button your email, would also automatically be sent to the advertiser, the UX changed for this in 2018 due to complaints now its a double opt-in.

I was following the health insurance requirements thread as well. I remember reading a few people posting that they successfully got extensions on their "O-A", when in reality it turned out they really had a Non-O. There are many ways you can end up in a email lead list...

Did you sign up to any reward cards in Thailand? Did you click on any ads? Has any of your friends ever referred you to someone? Did you use any other agents or contact any of them? Did you sign up to a cellphone plan? They also have your phone details, and passport information... Did you register an online bank account? Did you read their term of service?

Lets stop with these conspiracies. 

Edited by nigelguidos

3 minutes ago, nigelguidos said:

Remember that Facebook does allow advertisers to target by age, gender, as well as originating country. Just by clicking or responding to an ad like that you would know which country the person is from, and how old they are, and if they are a male or female.

A good reason not to use it.

2 hours ago, Dan O said:

The list with data was sold by Immigration, it's a common practice in almost every country and website that collects information as a way to generate income, legal or illegal for someone's pocket

Really where can I buy it then?

Yes, it is true.

Every time I did an extension at Chaengwattana, a few days later i get a call from an 02 number, somewhere in Pathumthani.

I always just hang up.

Guaranteed

However, in all my years I have never gotten any emails. Not a single one. And I always fill in my email address.

But that call is clockwork.

• Thanks 1

On 11/28/2019 at 6:11 AM, ubonjoe said:

WHAT? It is now required for every extension you do at the immigration, at least in Chiang Mai

13 hours ago, Dan O said:

The list with data was sold by Immigration, it's a common practice in almost every country and website that collects information as a way to generate income, legal or illegal for someone's pocket

Yours is just unfounded speculation, there's no proof that immigration sells information and it is not very credible and not needed because they make a lot of money from the fees they get.

On 11/28/2019 at 12:20 PM, bbi1 said:

Why would anyone be stupid enough to give immigration your email address? Why would anyone be stupid to also put their email address on their arrival card? Well, I guess there are ones that do instead of leaving it blank or putting N/A.

Mee, and what happened if immigration have my address email ? If I received address my messenger mail don't know the email go directly on spam also IO.

36 minutes ago, Lacrimas said:

WHAT? It is now required for every extension you do at the immigration, at least in Chiang Mai

That is not the same office I use. No form I have ever completed has had a space for my email address (old TM6 included).

My office only wants my phone number to be written on the TM7 form I submit for my extensions.

The email address spot is on the arrival card and on visa applications. As I said before, I work in a law firm and we fill in our email on the expats form and we are getting emails from Grace addressed to our customers. This is clear for me that the information was sold to her by someone in IO. Furthermore, they know the nationality, the date of visa expiry, and your age. Therefore, it is not just a sale of your email address but of your personal information. It is quite different. Good agent or not, this is wrong but not the agents fault, immigration is at fault. Alas, we can’t do anything about it except stop putting your email on any forms if you don’t wish to be contacted by Grace. There is a new data protection law since May of this year. If you are that screwed up about this, go to the police station with the evidence and try to file a case against immigration for not protecting your data. See what happens. They will laugh in your face. The only chance would be to write a letter to the PMs office or the immigration Chief’s office regarding this and see what happens. 80% nothing. Give it a try.

Edited by wmlc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

That is not the same office I use. No form I have ever completed has had a space for my email address (old TM6 included).

My office only wants my phone number to be written on the TM7 form I submit for my extensions.

There is no space but the officers in Chiang Mai usually ask me to write it below my signature.

On 11/28/2019 at 1:18 PM, cerox said:

They offered me a non-b visa for 25k (3 months) and 35k for 1y extension. I asked them to provide details as to how that is possible because they claim it is not a business visa but some kind of "foundation". I also asked about details on what reason they 1y extension of stay is based on to stay in the country. 

They did not answer anything - just some vague one sentence reply.

I know about a lawyer in the north offering the same, believe a company set-up with the paperwork to obtain a 90 day non-b at 30k and 15-20k for the 1 year extension.
In theory not impossible, cost wise too. As at the end you could have a sleeping company, it is only the optional working permit complicating things further.

On 11/28/2019 at 12:25 PM, allane said:

For awhile, at least some Imm. offices were asking for e-mail addresses. On one occasion, I wasn't smart enough to say that I didn't have one, and I received an e-mail from "Grace", who knew what kind of Extension I was on.  I only made that mistake once, and haven't heard from her in a year or two.

Grace's mob, we all know who they are, perhaps purchased or was offered for purchase, the database information. 

Airport officials tell you to put your contact information on the TM6. 

Phone number, etc.

I have seen people pulled out for not putting sufficient information on arrival card. 

On 11/29/2019 at 9:22 PM, Orton Rd said:

Really where can I buy it then?

Just contact any Indian call centre.

One uk chap purchased the information on 12,000 uk people recently. 

Passport and credit cards, dob, addresses. 

Anything is available for the right price.