Warning, visa agency accessing immigration database

37 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

we were discussing the Thai immigration db which somebody claimed was available to buy, not seen any proof it's true

I think my previous post is proof. How about reading? Just a thought. 

2 hours ago, dallen52 said:

Just contact any Indian call centre.

One uk chap purchased the information on 12,000 uk people recently. 

Passport and credit cards, dob, addresses. 

Anything is available for the right price. 

There are a few giant data companies with 90% of everyones internet information from the US, and UK. One of them is called People Data Labs, and they openly sell their giant database which includes a vast amount of information of over 1.2 billion people. Seems like they have 2.4B records now.

This includes where the person was most likely born, what their income is, job, where they live now, even your GPA... If you ever wonder why you are getting random emails its mostly coming from these giant email databases. People repackage smaller databases like this that are much more targeted to someone that wants a lead list. I think it's safe to say that pretty much everyones information is floating around.

https://docs.peopledatalabs.com/docs/stats

You cant opt-out here: 
https://www.peopledatalabs.com/opt-out-form

Edited by nigelguidos

It has been explained repeatedly in this thread, that people used unique numbers or emails for specific Immigration purposes, and yet I see we have a variety of "new users" trying to suggest other ideas such as worldwide databases, to soften things up.

It has also been explained that the information available to these agents well exceeded what can be found in any database.

It is becoming quite clear, that corrupt Immigration along with corrupt agents, are working together to make a buck.

Edited by lkv
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/28/2019 at 9:09 PM, maxpower said:
On 11/28/2019 at 8:07 PM, tgw said:

It's confidential information of a private nature.

As for your claim of governments selling the kind of information you list, I don't remember ever hearing about such things in civilized countries other than in a scandal.

I only know about Germany, France, Switzerland. Sometimes you get information there too, but the source of information are public registers (births, deaths, marriages, company register, etc.)

Do you have any examples?

Email addresses can be acquired from anywhere, including partner websites that have the "I agree to be contacted by a third party" boxes. If you have ticked one of these boxes, the chances are your email address is purchasable from somewhere online.

Data can be obtained compliantly from a variety of sources, which include data partners government sources, publicly available data and market research data.

Agreed.  And usually, the "scandals" I read about are where citizens complain and some government or private entity changes their opt in/ opt out procedure.  Which means, of course, that they did and will continue to collect the information and sell it onto entities that make a living compiling and selling information about us.

Bottom line, it may be creepy, but it's not necessarily a crime to collect and sell all kinds of very personal data.  

4 hours ago, lkv said:

It has been explained repeatedly in this thread, that people used unique numbers or emails for specific Immigration purposes, and yet I see we have a variety of "new users" trying to suggest other ideas such as worldwide databases, to soften things up.

It has also been explained that the information available to these agents well exceeded what can be found in any database.

It is becoming quite clear, that corrupt Immigration along with corrupt agents, are working together to make a buck.

Have you checked out Thai Immigration's terms and conditions (and Thai law) to see if they have promised not to sell the information?  Because I sure haven't.  It may not be corruption at all.

On 11/29/2019 at 5:42 PM, sometimewoodworker said:

Interesting that the only poster in support is quite likely a shill for the business as they have only 2 posts and joined today as well that the other in slight support has a very low number of posts.

Also suggesting that the theft is old or came from somewhere other than immigration, haaa, more disinformation 

It is not old. My email address that was used did not exist 9 months ago.

FWIW never click on unsubscribe links unless you are sure that you had subscription and now want to stop it, any other action is just a confirmation of an active email address.

Grace and the Company is legit and deliver what they promise.  Glad they are around, I have been in their office and know a few people who have used them.  No complaints at all.  Astou can see I am legit and been on TV for years.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, genobkk said:

Grace and the Company is legit and deliver what they promise.  Glad they are around, I have been in their office and know a few people who have used them.  No complaints at all.  Astou can see I am legit and been on TV for years.  

The company that I have posted about (which may or may not be the company you are talking about, I don’t know and make no assumptions) are far from legitimate.

Any company that knowingly uses private personal information not given to them is borderline criminal. It is probably not surprising that a company that is offering a borderline (probably more than borderline) illegal service will do other things that are equally illegal.

17 hours ago, wmlc said:
17 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

we were discussing the Thai immigration db which somebody claimed was available to buy, not seen any proof it's true

I think my previous post is proof. How about reading? Just a thought.

Not a proof at all.

The fact that someone got something doesn't imply that he paid for it !

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, impulse said:

Have you checked out Thai Immigration's terms and conditions (and Thai law) to see if they have promised not to sell the information?  Because I sure haven't.  It may not be corruption at all.

https://brslawyers.com/news/upcoming-digital-laws-of-thailand-cybersecurity-personal-data-protection/

especially: " Provisions under the bill mostly replicate the EU General Data Protection Regulation. "

and "terms and conditions" are not sufficient for immigration to sell the information - this needs expres information and expres consent.