BANGKOK
sometimewoodworker

Warning, visa agency accessing immigration database

Remember that Facebook does allow advertisers to target by age, gender, as well as originating country. Just by clicking or responding to an ad like that you would know which country the person is from, and how old they are, and if they are a male or female. If it's a lead ad and you accidentally click the button your email, would also automatically be sent to the advertiser, the UX changed for this in 2018 due to complaints now its a double opt-in.

I was following the health insurance requirements thread as well. I remember reading a few people posting that they successfully got extensions on their "O-A", when in reality it turned out they really had a Non-O. There are many ways you can end up in a email lead list...

Did you sign up to any reward cards in Thailand? Did you click on any ads? Has any of your friends ever referred you to someone? Did you use any other agents or contact any of them? Did you sign up to a cellphone plan? They also have your phone details, and passport information... Did you register an online bank account? Did you read their term of service?

Lets stop with these conspiracies. 

Edited by nigelguidos

3 minutes ago, nigelguidos said:

Remember that Facebook does allow advertisers to target by age, gender, as well as originating country. Just by clicking or responding to an ad like that you would know which country the person is from, and how old they are, and if they are a male or female.

A good reason not to use it.

The list with data was sold by Immigration, it's a common practice in almost every country and website that collects information as a way to generate income, legal or illegal for someone's pocket

2 hours ago, Dan O said:

The list with data was sold by Immigration, it's a common practice in almost every country and website that collects information as a way to generate income, legal or illegal for someone's pocket

Really where can I buy it then?

8 hours ago, nigelguidos said:

*Full disclosure: I know a friend that has used them, without issue. But ill bite.*

But from all of these crazy conspiracies I decided to contact Grace. I got a hold of reception, and they gave me her personal number (yes she is real).

She talked with her marketing guy and he says that the bulk of the emails that TVC gets is from Facebook advertising, and they think in 2017-2018 there was an issue with Facebook lead ads which resulted in people opting into their ads quite easily. Since then they moved over to message advertising, and have not had these issues. They also said they did get some external lead lists but bulk of the contacts came from Facebook marketing.

She is very concerned that her communications may have disturbed people, and has said she has since deleted the Facebook Lead contact info, as well as the marketing lists.

Also the main reason many people received emails at the same time was because TVC used to only service retirement visas, and just until recently they started trying to service people under 50. Which meant that they emailed people that have been sitting on their lists for years.

I wouldn't be concerned at all about this...

She also said i could share her personal number if you guys have any additional concerns 99-424-2411 (she is very nice, and has been a visa agent for almost 14 years).

Many countries have specific laws around spam. All you need to do is click the unsubscribe link, and if they continue to message you then you can escalate. 

Nonsense I have never used facebook in my life or any other social media nonsense, the only place she got my email from was immigration or the bank. If she is so concerned about unsolicited emails disturbing people maybe she should stop sending them out. Strange that if she gets them from ads why I never got any emails from her to the emails I use for all sorts of things which you would expect might have turned up somewhere. But no she somehow gets your real email address, that I at least only ever use for two places here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, it is true.

Every time I did an extension at Chaengwattana, a few days later i get a call from an 02 number, somewhere in Pathumthani.

I always just hang up.

Guaranteed

However, in all my years I have never gotten any emails. Not a single one. And I always fill in my email address.

But that call is clockwork.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Really where can I buy it then?

Google is your friend...."email lists for sale".

How many pages you want?

Screenshot_2019-11-30-07-19-34-867_com.android.chrome.jpg

They don't seem to have the Thai immigration one though, which is what is being looked at here

On 11/28/2019 at 6:11 AM, ubonjoe said:

How did immigration get your email address. I have never had to put it on anything I have done at immigration.

Have you done online 90 day reports or registered to do TM30 reports online?

WHAT? It is now required for every extension you do at the immigration, at least in Chiang Mai

13 hours ago, Dan O said:

Yours is just unfounded speculation, there's no proof that immigration sells information and it is not very credible and not needed because they make a lot of money from the fees they get.

On 11/28/2019 at 12:20 PM, bbi1 said:

Why would anyone be stupid enough to give immigration your email address? Why would anyone be stupid to also put their email address on their arrival card? Well, I guess there are ones that do instead of leaving it blank or putting N/A.

Mee, and what happened if immigration have my address email ? If I received address my messenger mail don't know the email go directly on spam also IO.

36 minutes ago, Lacrimas said:

WHAT? It is now required for every extension you do at the immigration, at least in Chiang Mai

That is not the same office I use. No form I have ever completed has had a space for my email address (old TM6 included).

My office only wants my phone number to be written on the TM7 form I submit for my extensions.

The email address spot is on the arrival card and on visa applications. As I said before, I work in a law firm and we fill in our email on the expats form and we are getting emails from Grace addressed to our customers. This is clear for me that the information was sold to her by someone in IO. Furthermore, they know the nationality, the date of visa expiry, and your age. Therefore, it is not just a sale of your email address but of your personal information. It is quite different. Good agent or not, this is wrong but not the agents fault, immigration is at fault. Alas, we can’t do anything about it except stop putting your email on any forms if you don’t wish to be contacted by Grace. There is a new data protection law since May of this year. If you are that screwed up about this, go to the police station with the evidence and try to file a case against immigration for not protecting your data. See what happens. They will laugh in your face. The only chance would be to write a letter to the PMs office or the immigration Chief’s office regarding this and see what happens. 80% nothing. Give it a try.

Edited by wmlc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

That is not the same office I use. No form I have ever completed has had a space for my email address (old TM6 included).

My office only wants my phone number to be written on the TM7 form I submit for my extensions.

There is no space but the officers in Chiang Mai usually ask me to write it below my signature.