Mandatory Insurance: will it work?

pookondee

I’ll post this advice again as it might not have been picked up by all concerned a few weeks ago:

If you are on an OA and aged 65/70 years old, then:

A.   Keep your current insurance

B.   Take out Pacific Cross Maxima Plus policy at 57 000 baht

C.   Opt for 50% excess (300 000 baht)

D.   Pay premium of roughly 25 000 baht.

E.   Enjoy 10% discount for no claims for 2 years, and 20% thereafter.
F.   Rest assured you can be covered until 99 years old.

If you’re on an OA you already have 800 000 baht committed; what’s another 25 000 baht?

So, please; scare stories about premiums being 400 000 baht aren’t really helpful?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Bogbrush said:

I’ll post this advice again as it might not have been picked up by all concerned a few weeks ago:

If you’re on an OA you already have 800 000 baht committed; what’s another 25 000 baht?

So, please; scare stories about premiums being 400 000 baht aren’t really helpful?

yeah that'll be ok. just to check premiums will still be 25,000 when get to 85?

13 minutes ago, Bogbrush said:

You're missing the point.  Its being ripped off for a worthless non functional piece of garbage for what amounts to a brown envelope, the slap in the face and the insecurity of not knowing what other <deleted> they will come up with down the road.  After this latest short sighted witless affront I will not be buying a car or a condo. 

20 minutes ago, Bogbrush said:

They quoted me 85,000 at 66 Full medical required at a further cost of 10,000 with a % repaid IF accepted.

I can get the same cover at 42000 no medical required & covered for life..(But not on the List of Cartel Companies) Cant work out what difference it is to them who our insurance company is other than the High Premiums being charged by the Cartel. & BTW half those on the list dont insure over 65yrs.

The Cartel are ripping us off.

The point is - we all know it’s rubbish/rip off/<deleted> etc etc; but if you want to stay living here, you have to suck it up and get on with it. Moaning accomplishes nothing..

23 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

Once one comes to terms with being a member of the easily exploited club, then it comes as no big surprise that one must purchase mandatory worthless insurance in order to remain in paradise...????

Is it paradise when it comes to stupidity.

2 minutes ago, Bogbrush said:

Of course they are - that’s not in dispute; I’m merely presenting a way to make the most of a bad job..

I like your attitude, Bogbrush.  Where there's a will there's a way.  Can't escape the most useless policy known to man but if one wants to stay then get on with it and find your own policy.  Nice.

You’re quite right; you have to go with the flow. History is littered with the corpses of people who tried to <deleted> into the wind. Fit in, or <deleted>... well, you know the rest.

On 11/28/2019 at 2:11 PM, pookondee said:

To be fair i reckon there would be a bit of "sizing up" involved as well.

Turn up there looking like something a soi dog dragged out of a klong and it might be a different story ?

Anyways, i thought expats at HuaHin had a slightly better reputation than other certain places?

Certainly not the demographic that has a high risk of doing a runner on a bill anyway.

Most don't bother sizing you up. They ask for money up front regardless.

On 11/28/2019 at 1:14 PM, pookondee said:

In effect, what they will be doing is raking in maximum baht while only risking 400k payout per patient.

They won't be raking in anything if we all leave.

On 11/28/2019 at 5:53 PM, Puchaiyank said:

Once one comes to terms with being a member of the easily exploited club, then it comes as no big surprise that one must purchase mandatory worthless insurance in order to remain in paradise...????

Call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye.

1 hour ago, torturedsole said:

I like your attitude, Bogbrush.  Where there's a will there's a way.  Can't escape the most useless policy known to man but if one wants to stay then get on with it and find your own policy.  Nice.

You have to buy one of the policies approved by the Thais. It is a rip off.

For one thing, I never pay before treatment at a government hospital here in chiang mai, and I've had some extensive treatment (but I dress nicely).

If there is eventual trickle-down for insurance requirement for non-0 I will definitely be leaving the country.  I think, however, that there will be changes made before that happens and I hope concessions will be made for self-insurance.

On 11/28/2019 at 12:51 PM, petermik said:

It is just another scam to rip off tourists/expats here nothing more....there is not a hospital here that will treat a tourist unless payment is guaranteed up front :whistling:

Calm down and take a couple of deep breaths. The insurance issue is only pertinent to a small amount of expats and no tourists at all.

4 hours ago, JimHuaHin said:

I am 64 years young and have IMG international health insurance (which I have had for 6 years, the time I have been in Thailand), which covers all bar 10 expensive countries in the world.

My current premium is just over US$2,800 pa, and I have up to US$5 million life-time coverage.  I have had no problems in Thailand claiming with this policy; no problems at hospitals, no problems with IMG.

I just came back from Hua Hin Immigration - I asked whether I can use my IMG policy - NO!!!  You have to use one of the companies listed at http://longstay.tgia.org/home/companiesoa .

My policy has no age limit or conditions for renewal, unlike many of the companies listed at the above web site.  I also note that my current policy is much cheaper than most similar policies listed with companies at the above web site.

As several TV members have noted, the new policy creates more problems than it solves; and certainly creating a lot of stress amongst expats living in Thailand.

What visa/ extension do you have?

On 11/28/2019 at 5:25 PM, pookondee said:

Thanks for posting that.

The concept seems even more ridiculous each time posters who are in the know, (Sheryl being number 1)

point out the facts and obvious flaws.

They cant seriously expect a guy to pay a 400k premium per annum for cover of 400k ??

I think if they persist with this nonsense, they will have to set up some sort of 'Insurance tribunal' to look at abnormal cases like that as they come up.

Then do case by case assessments and  make adjustments that work for each particular case.

If they just wipe their hands of it, and old guys are forced to leave wives, homes and families after XX years being here..

well that must nearly be enchroaching on human rights issues, surely?

Human rights? Thailand? Same sentence?

5 hours ago, JimHuaHin said:

I am 64 years young and have IMG international health insurance (which I have had for 6 years, the time I have been in Thailand), which covers all bar 10 expensive countries in the world.

My current premium is just over US$2,800 pa, and I have up to US$5 million life-time coverage.  I have had no problems in Thailand claiming with this policy; no problems at hospitals, no problems with IMG.

I just came back from Hua Hin Immigration - I asked whether I can use my IMG policy - NO!!!  You have to use one of the companies listed at http://longstay.tgia.org/home/companiesoa .

My policy has no age limit or conditions for renewal, unlike many of the companies listed at the above web site.  I also note that my current policy is much cheaper than most similar policies listed with companies at the above web site.

As several TV members have noted, the new policy creates more problems than it solves; and certainly creating a lot of stress amongst expats living in Thailand.

I have IMG as well. But I am on a "thai wife" extension of stay so I don't require proof of insurance like you do. Have you considered getting this form (link below) filled out. My understanding is this form only needs to "director" names printed on the bottom, and one signature from the any company representative. My understanding is, the IO for the OA should accept this form to satisfy the your insurance.

https://longstay.tgia.org/document/overseas_insurance_certificate.pdf

On 11/28/2019 at 7:15 PM, pookondee said:

Never believed in insurance and have managed to avoid life's larger scams.

So if its truly heading that way then im surely re-thinking my idea of what is Paradise! 

There must come a stage where paradise is not worth all of this.

and being home, where you can actually feel like you belong..

not get chucked out at some ××××heads small minded whim...

Yes, its starting to look very good.

I’m definitely on your page. I have never had health insurance and gave up on anything other than motor insurance a long time ago. Insurance IMO is the biggest legal scam there is. They’re in the business of taking your money and doing everything they can to never give you anything back.

If it comes to the point I’m being forced to take this insurance that may well be the signal to sell up and leave.

I have been on a retirement extension (visa) the last 10 years but I mostly only spend 6 months each year in Thailand - it was convenient.  People rightly complain about the excessive cost from the Thai Company insurance list but if you are here half time you still pay for the full year making it twice as expensive as the already ridiculous price.

In my case the pre existing condition clause would make their policy non practical anyways.

In spite of having a house, car, motorbikes etc in Thailand I am willing to drop my expensive retirement extension and drop over for a visit each year.  I left a lot more than the B800K in my Thai bank this last year for university costs and I lost about $10K (had it been left in my investment portfolio) of potential returns, that's an expensive retirement visa!!!.  If they go ahead with this for retirees I will be happy to remove my money and become a guy who just vacations here to get away from Canadian winters, enjoy the heat all without supporting their economy as I have done in the past.

I believe they are "testing the waters" and will eventually impose the mandatory high cost - low payout insurance scheme on the retirement crowd as in their minds we are causing this "crisis" for their health care.  In reality it is about 8 SELECT well connected Thai insurance companies who are pulling the strings using the government to enhance their profits IMO.

Those of you who say its a scam are way way off the mark. What it clearly is, is a very poor ill thought out attempt by the Thai's to solve a problem as they see it with Farangs not paying their hospital bills. They were probably lobbied by the administration of the hospitals and some Thai insurance companies. Someone somewhere has decided that its a good idea without really thinking it through. All the points made about people having better insurance from their own country is falling on deaf ears. Why, mainly because they didnt think of it first and if they did their arrogance that anything Thai is best would have been the deciding factor. I personally believe it will be scrapped, not extended to the O Visa or any extensions of stay on the back of an O visa. If it stays it will be because they do not want to lose face. The OA visa will then die a natural death because no one in their right mind will consider applying for one.

2 hours ago, torturedsole said:

1 hour ago, DaRoadrunner said:

You have to buy one of the policies approved by the Thais. It is a rip off.

That's what I said.

I am 75 Year Old US Vet, 100% service connected, and will never buy Thai Insurance even if I could.

Anything major happens I will use Medevac Insurance to take me to the nearest VA Hospital.

Cost around $2000.00 for Me and one family member.

Have had 3 operations here in Private Hospitals, always signed contract for cost before hand.

Then paid before released.  Never heard of any one NOT paying their bill.

As for Thai Insurance and Money Locked in a Thai Bank, LOS = Land Of Scams

10 minutes ago, jimn said:

What it clearly is, is a very poor ill thought out attempt by the Thai's to solve a problem as they see it with Farangs not paying their hospital bills.

Good point.  The 50k baht A&E coverage and 400k baht inpatient coverage is lamentable.  My UK travel insurance policy coverage is unlimited for medical treatment. 

Archived