Honda PCX Hybrid

Pinot

4 hours ago, Tagged said:

Get a real bike for that purpose, not a small scoot for touring, because of small wallet.

Sure, let me get an old 1000cc Big Bike for my small penis syndrome to ride those beautiful flat highways and perfectly even roads and twists in Thailand. And to sum it up i buy a pcx, which is way more suitable for shopping with the half luggage space of a Forza and seat comfort for a 7 11 Beer trip. But at least i can tell the Bargirls about it... welcome to ur life bro ???? 

Jokes aside... Forza is highly capable for the city, especially shopping with the huge luggage space and for its size quite thin to squeeze through traffic (with the necessary driving ability ;)). And for outside of the city tours perfectly suitable... my 2 cents, perfect for thailand

1 hour ago, Doctor1 said:

Sure, let me get an old 1000cc Big Bike for my small penis syndrome to ride those beautiful flat highways and perfectly even roads and twists in Thailand. And to sum it up i buy a pcx, which is way more suitable for shopping with the half luggage space of a Forza and seat comfort for a 7 11 Beer trip. But at least i can tell the Bargirls about it... welcome to ur life bro ???? 

Jokes aside... Forza is highly capable for the city, especially shopping with the huge luggage space and for its size quite thin to squeeze through traffic (with the necessary driving ability ;)). And for outside of the city tours perfectly suitable... my 2 cents, perfect for thailand

For big shopping I have a car, for small shopping I have a pcx, for my gf I have a cbx500, and for myself a versys 1000. Still wondering how you know I got a small penis? 

• Haha 1

On 12/11/2019 at 1:44 PM, Tagged said:

For big shopping I have a car, for small shopping I have a pcx, for my gf I have a cbx500, and for myself a versys 1000. Still wondering how you know I got a small penis? 

Like i said... at least u can tell everybody about it. No need for practicality ???? Next time u feel undervalued sitting on a PCX next to a Forza. I promise i  will give u a big accepting at the red light next time. You may even use some of my luggage space if u plan to buy more than a six pack of Lager ???? 

Cars are indeed useless for downtown BKK during rush hour... only use mine for out of town trips mostly

Edited by Doctor1

40 minutes ago, Doctor1 said:

Like i said... at least u can tell everybody about it. No need for practicality ???? Next time u feel undervalued sitting on a PCX next to a Forza. I promise i  will give u a big accepting at the red light next time. You may even use some of my luggage space if u plan to buy more than a six pack of Lager ???? 

Cars are indeed useless for downtown BKK during rush hour... only use mine for out of town trips mostly

Well my comment was not what I felt, but more how forza drivers think they are kings on the scoots when they see a pcx, and how they act ???? So more about why some choose a little traffic friendly scoot especially in bkk, I have to say it more or less useless when coming to traffic smoothness and parking compare to an pcx. 

Pcx you get your daily needs and more in the trunk and top box. Since you mention self esteem, how is yours? 

• 4 weeks later...

It’s not a marketing gimmick. The electric motor provides for quicker starts and more responsive acceleration. Whether or not that’s important to you, and whether the loss of underseat storage is an issue for you, is your call. Is the extra HP and torque “worth” an additional 12,000 baht? Up to you. For me, yes.

is it a “real” bike? Well, it’s the perfect bike for Chiang Mai, IMO, so whatever. 

5 hours ago, Haysdb said:

It’s not a marketing gimmick. The electric motor provides for quicker starts and more responsive acceleration. Whether or not that’s important to you, and whether the loss of underseat storage is an issue for you, is your call. Is the extra HP and torque “worth” an additional 12,000 baht? Up to you. For me, yes.

is it a “real” bike? Well, it’s the perfect bike for Chiang Mai, IMO, so whatever. 

Rather than spend an extra 12,ooo Baht on a 99,000 Baht Honda "hybrid" , have you considered the Yamaha Grand Filano. Their hybrid only costs an extra 3K , at just 55K. And its available with real ABS.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ktm jeff said:

Rather than spend an extra 12,ooo Baht on a 99,000 Baht Honda "hybrid" , have you considered the Yamaha Grand Filano. Their hybrid only costs an extra 3K , at just 55K. And its available with real ABS.

I am waiting for a Honda Scoopy hybrid, hopefully it will come out soon.

I didn't know Yamaha Filano has a hybrid and the price is almost the same as a Honda Scoopy.

What is ABS?

Yamaha have 3 Filano models. The regular at 52K , the hybrid at 55K and the hybrid , with ABS , at about 60K. ABS is anti lock braking. A good safety system to have on bikes , if available. Do not confuse real ABS with Hondas CBS system , which many experienced riders agree offers little in the way of safety.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Just bought a hybrid from an acquaintance to replace my 8 year old PCX.

Only 6 weeks old and 5xx kms. However, I cannot find a manual in English. Anyone know where to find ?

He doesn't know much about the bike, he bought it for a girl who has now left.

What settings do I need to use, D or S ? And is there anything else I need to adjust/set up ?

Thanks for any replies.

Thanks Damrongsak.

Downloaded it and had a good read this morning.

I will probably just leave it in D mode now I know how things work.

Shows some options where you connect a EM module thing and you can adjust the volume and frequency of the alarm and  couple of other options but all a bit superfluous really, I will leave the factory settings but good to know.

• Like 2

On 4/4/2020 at 1:57 PM, YorkshireTyke said:

Thanks Damrongsak.

Downloaded it and had a good read this morning.

I will probably just leave it in D mode now I know how things work.

Shows some options where you connect a EM module thing and you can adjust the volume and frequency of the alarm and  couple of other options but all a bit superfluous really, I will leave the factory settings but good to know.

I now have 1000 km on it since buying in January. I immediately put it in "S" when I start up. No difference in gas mileage and Sport mode has more power. Lots of it as a matter of fact. It is significantly quicker than the standard PCX. I equate it to having a turbocharger. I don't miss the space underneath. It is a really cool bike.  

Edited by Pinot
  • Like 1

If one harks back to the original Idle Stop PCX's in BKK traffic they ran out of battery. So it was recommended to switch it off in heavy traffic.

Next generation Idle Stop would not stop if battery below a certain level. 

So I worry that Hybrid if continuously used in Sport mode in BKK traffic and ridden with enthusiasm may also eventually run out of battery boost as it may not have enough recovery time? 

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

If one harks back to the original Idle Stop PCX's in BKK traffic they ran out of battery. So it was recommended to switch it off in heavy traffic.

So I worry that Hybrid if continuously used in Sport mode in BKK traffic and ridden with enthusiasm may also eventually run out of battery boost as it may not have enough recovery time? 

Never had a problem with idle stop on my 2012 PCX which I just sold (17,500 kms) so I don't envisage any probs with the hybrid. However, I live in Hua Hin, and don't venture on to the main road very often, not Bkk so not so many traffic lights ! or traffic !!

On 4/6/2020 at 1:52 PM, VocalNeal said:

The way the meter is set up, you know exactly where you are in terms battery power. If I goose it, I see the full input of the electric for 3-4 seconds and then I see it charging back up the battery (sometimes) for a second or two. It's all over in 10 seconds, the power then the recharge. You can't be "riding with enthusiasm" long enough to ever drain the battery. Even if your a complete maniac you'll never drain the battery by being aggressive. For one thing it goes completely to engine power in 4 seconds. No, recovery time is always seconds. Maybe that will change as the battery ages but I doubt it. 

I used Sport mode a couple of times yesterday but can't say I noticed any difference. I did notice if you stop the bike it defaults to Drive mode so you have to remember change it again.

Damrongsak, Can you explain the guage to me ? I see the battery meter bottom left, which is currently full as expected. Then there is a long thin line labelled 'charge assist' going up and across towards the right side of the guage, does that do anything ? And directly above the battery meter is a small battery sign with a + sign, is that what shows it's adding juice to the battery? Does it flash or show some indication ? Only just noticed this now as it's quite small and I didn't see it whilst driving.

Hard to look at it while driving ! I will try again today though as I have to go to the transport dept to transfer ownership to me and that's about a 20km trip

I only have one dyno graph and that is for an early (pre 2010) SH150.

According to Pinot above he gets electric boost for about 4 secs. So how much would that reduce say 0-60kph in 5.2 seconds (Wikipedia)

I just spent a while (1hr) trying to search for info to come up with something meaningful but no two websites give the same info. One site said they gained 1/2 a bike length away from the lights. 

One interesting (for me) is that Oto.com compared max speed for PCX as 115 kph but for Hybrid 105. If true means that Hybrid is lower geared. ???? But I couldn't find that anywhere else. If true would explain why the Hybrid "certainly does feel more sprightly when moving around and the acceleration felt more responsive".

Edit: Noticed from above that Hydrid defaults to Drive when the bike is switched off, which could be telling. They obviously don't want you to use Sport all the time.

Edited by VocalNeal

It's only a guess that the Hybrid is faster than the standard PCX. I think it's faster. Maybe that's all that's important? ????

I do know S mode is faster than D mode. 

The gauge works like this:

When you use full acceleration either from a start or while driving, you'll see the line at the top of the gauge go white across the top for 3-4 seconds. It shows the electric motor is active. It act slightly different in the two modes S or D. In S mode it lasts longer or uses the the full power of the electric motor a little more than in D.

The other indicator is the white line on the side which indicates the hybrid battery is charging. That only stays on a second or two. When I first drove the bike that was on for awhile as the new battery charged. Now I don't see it often.

It's difficult to see the gauge working during the day, easy at night. 

I read that bikesrepublic review as well.

From https://www.gridoto.com/read/221867509/hasil-dynotest-honda-adv-150-lebih-kecil-dari-pcx-tapi-lebih-nyaman?page=all

We can see that their dyno trace doesn't start until about 3500 rpm, clutch engagement point, as the rear wheel has to turn the dyno. So a Hybrid would have a < 2hp lump  at clutch engaement. But only for 4 secs as Pinot states. 

Sadly the other dyno run missed that opportunity.

image.gif

Edited by VocalNeal