SCB ATM Limit?

For several years now I have regularly used my US debit cards to withdraw 30,000 baht at a time at SCB ATMs. But beginning several weeks ago (After around the 10th of the month or so)  I found that I was unable to withdraw more than 20,000 at a go. The issue isn't with the cards because other ATMS will let me withdraw 30000 at one go with these cards. It is also not just certain machines or because they are out of cash because this has happened at about six different locations so far. This is aggravating because it involves two withdrawal fees. I called the bank and they tried to say it was because of machines being upgraded, out of cash, all nonsense because these are machines and locations I have used for a long time. They said they would investigate and get back to me but no word so far. Has anyone else had this problem?

SCB has always had a 20,000 Thai Baht per pull limit from your Thai account and Bangkok Bank has a 30,000 per pull limit from your Thai account, nothing to do with days

So has the OP tried two pulls of 20 K each from an SCB ATM ? 

Which of course would double the foreign transaction fee, which sounds like a typical Thai banker move 

5 hours ago, Langsuan Man said:

SCB has always had a 20,000 Thai Baht per pull limit from your Thai account and Bangkok Bank has a 30,000 per pull limit from your Thai account, nothing to do with days

Most newer SCB ATMs are now allowing 30,00 per withdrawal, all to do with the size of the dispenser.

22 hours ago, qualtrough said:

The issue isn't with the cards because other ATMS will let me withdraw 30000 at one go with these cards.

When was the last time you tried at other banks ATMs?

Do you by chance have a 1000 USD limit per withdrawal on your card?

1000 USD will likely not give you 30000 Baht at the ATM today.

I ask because this case was recently discussed in another thread.

Try 29500, every ATM has an option where you can key in another amount.

Just to remember, this is the USD-THB chart since May.

The rates shown are currency market rates that you don't get with the debit card.

And 30000 Baht are debited as 30220 Baht to your account.

With today's VISA rate:

30220 Thai Baht = 1,001.059 USD.

USDTHB_may19.jpg

SCB ATM Limit?

23 hours ago, qualtrough said:

This is aggravating because it involves two withdrawal fees.

I don't use my overseas debit card at the ATM machines because I know they slug me the 200 + charge, and so does my bank overseas, I therefore have an SCB account and I can withdrawal 30,000 per go x 3 times a day, plus 1 x 10,000 =100,000 daily limit per day, of course, if it all depends on the machines, some allow you to chose the 30k key, others only have the 20k key.

The above said you could walk in to I think it's called Kargisorn or something like that bank, its the yellow one and ask for an over the counter transaction on your debit card, the limit is 150,000 over the counter, depending on your overseas banks limit of course, mine is 60,000 and you only pay one fee, i.e. 200 baht, but some might say its 300 because they might think its a credit card, do your research and try it that way, certainly will save you those extra fees and agro, been there, done that. 

Sorry for the delayed reply. Both cards are overseas debit cards. Schwab and PayPal. Limit from the issuer is USD 1000. This issue seems independent of the strengthening baht as I can withdraw 20000 and 10000 with the cards back to back. Most recently I used an SCB machine with a 30000 baht max and it would only allow an initial 20000 baht withdrawal. I went to a nearby TFB machine with the same result. I then went to a third ATM from another bank whose name I cannot recall and was able to withdraw 30000 baht in one go.

From my experience this issue:

Appears independent of the value of the baht

Started about a month ago

Is not because of any limit imposed by the card issuer.

Is not related to any machine limit, as most SCB machines now allow 30,000 baht withdrawal per day.

Unless I see some convincing evidence to the contrary, it appears some banks are now reducing the foreign card withdrawal limit, at least for debit cards, and thus increasing the ATM fees generated. Schwab refunds the fees but my other card doesn't. 

You're not giving enough information for anyone to be definitive.  Despite what you say either of the previously suggested circumstances may still be the case.  These are:

Many machines have a hardware limit of 20,000 baht (or 20 of the highest denomination bank note they hold).  You  may have some across that.

You also may have come across the fact that 30,220 baht has fluctuated from above $1,000 USD to below.  When it's above it you will be refused.

Next time you're refused 30,000 baht at a machine you have previously drawn this amount from, try for 29,000 baht instead.

On 11/29/2019 at 9:20 AM, Langsuan Man said:

Bangkok Bank limit has been 25 bills (25k if have 1k bills) for the many years I have used them.

2 hours ago, GalaxyMan said:

My account allows for 40,000 per withdrawal.

What your account allows is trumped by the physical constraints of the ATM, both in terms of an upper limit in Baht and an upper limit in the number of bills.  to the best of my knowledge all of the banks in the ATM Pool (I've forgotten its new name) allow two withdrawals per day.

2 hours ago, allane said:

What your account allows is trumped by the physical constraints of the ATM, both in terms of an upper limit in Baht and an upper limit in the number of bills.  to the best of my knowledge all of the banks in the ATM Pool (I've forgotten its new name) allow two withdrawals per day.

I should have been more clear. I can make 2 withdrawals per day up to a total of 40,000 baht. The ATM machine in front of the SCB branch at Big C in Samui allows 30,000 baht in a single withdrawal. Other ATM machines that I've used usually have an upper limit of 20,000 baht per withdrawal.

There has DEFINITELY been a change in the SCB, Bangkok, and TFB machine limits I have regularly used. The SCB machines I previously withdrawn 30000 in go from now only allow 20,000 at a time. Not one location, multiple locations. I just used a Bangkok Bank machine today that previously would dispense 30,000 baht in one go now limits this to 25,000. I have reduced the amounts in the hope that this was related to the exchange rate, but I have found that the limit as been reduced to 20,000 at SCB, and 25,000 at other banks. If your experience is different I am happy for you. I am just reporting my experience.  Note: When I try to withdraw 30,000 the screen says the max is now 20,000 or 25,000 depending on bank. These are all machines I used to withdraw more than those amounts. 

18 minutes ago, qualtrough said:

I just used a Bangkok Bank machine today that previously would dispense 30,000 baht in one go now limits this to 25,000.

I have never seen a Bangkok Bank ATM that could provide more than 25 bills - they have had that setting for years.  Most others were limited to 20 bills.

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

I have never seen a Bangkok Bank ATM that could provide more than 25 bills - they have had that setting for years.  Most others were limited to 20 bills.

You may be correct and I mixed up banks. But SCB for sure had a withdrawal limit of 30000 baht per time in all the machines I ran into around town and now it's 20,000 at many of the same machines.

Bangkok Bank ATMs I have used for many years and very recently dispense up to twenty five 1000 baht notes (i.e, Bt25K).  I have withdrawn Bt25K from Bangkok Bank ATMs numerous times.....last time I did it was about a month ago.

Now if the ATM is in a high use area it may be permanently set to a lower limit like Bt20K to keep it from running out of cash too fast.  And when getting low on cash, ATMs will automatically lower the amount allowed per transaction until they are refilled.

Archived