Retirement Extension (w/11 months of 65K Transfers)

Had a discussion with an IO at Jomtien the other day. Went in to declare that I was 6 weeks late with my 90 day reporting. 2k baht fine, all very amicable. Was sent to another desk to pay the fine. IO collecing fines reminded me that my extension was due on 20th December. Asked him how soon I could do it and he said, "Now". I then went through with him what documentation I needed. I have 11 consecutive transfers from my UK account to Bangkok bank from my UK account showing as "FTT". I said that I would get a 12 month statement from BKK bank and a letter on the day, confirming my account.

Because of a statement made by Ubon Joe, I asked him what proof woukd be required to prove that the money originated from my UK pension.

He said "Just bring Embassy letter from last year". I explained that I had handed it to Immigration and didn't have a copy. He then said, "Not worry, you take my phone number, you call me and I do everything."

Clearly for a bung. The first real evidence that I've had that IO are trying to make it as difficult as possibe, either to force people to use an agency or hand a juicy bung directly to them.

I've applied for my statements and talked to the bank and should have all the required paperwork within a week. I will then apply for the extension ligitimately and see what happens. Will report on how I get on.

• Like 1

Good luck with this. I was turned down flat at Chiang Wattana in August 2019 for having only ten months out of 12 with the minimum 65,000/month transfers (so much for 'flexibility'). The last month (July 2019) I had more than 65,000, but all but one were SMT (Smart) transfers via TransferWise and were not recognized by Immigration as they technically show as domestic transfers. Turns out TransferWise was using SCB Bank as their intermediary bank before it was transferred to my bank (Bangkok Bank). I rushed to SCB and got a letter from them showing the 3 transfers to BKK Bank as international, and went back the following Monday to CM Immigration, and they refused to look at it. And as my previous Extension had expired the day before (on a Sunday), they told me I needed to leave the country immediately and return on a visa exempt, and reapply after I transferred 800,000 to my BKK Bank account (and recognized I would have to wait two months to do that). I duly left Thailand the same night for 48 hours in Cambodia, returned visa exempt, and flew back to the U.S. two weeks later and applied for a new retirement visa from the Royal Thai Embassy in Washington. The embassy only needed proof of my Social Security income (in excess of 65,000/month), an FBI police check (easy to get), and the usual other paperwork, and the new visa came back in two weeks. As it was before Oct. 1, no proof of insurance was required. I am now ensuring that every month's transfer is recorded as "FTT" (international transfer), not SMT, and still use TransferWise to do that. I realize that not everyone is willing or able to return home to apply for a new retirement visa as I did, but that was my choice rather than having to deal with Chiang Wattana again until next year (I hope). 

1 hour ago, Bangkok Basha said:

Good luck with this. I was turned down flat at Chiang Wattana in August 2019 for having only ten months out of 12 with the minimum 65,000/month transfers (so much for 'flexibility'). The last month (July 2019) I had more than 65,000, but all but one were SMT (Smart) transfers via TransferWise and were not recognized by Immigration as they technically show as domestic transfers. Turns out TransferWise was using SCB Bank as their intermediary bank before it was transferred to my bank (Bangkok Bank). I rushed to SCB and got a letter from them showing the 3 transfers to BKK Bank as international, and went back the following Monday to CM Immigration, and they refused to look at it. And as my previous Extension had expired the day before (on a Sunday), they told me I needed to leave the country immediately and return on a visa exempt, and reapply after I transferred 800,000 to my BKK Bank account (and recognized I would have to wait two months to do that). I duly left Thailand the same night for 48 hours in Cambodia, returned visa exempt, and flew back to the U.S. two weeks later and applied for a new retirement visa from the Royal Thai Embassy in Washington. The embassy only needed proof of my Social Security income (in excess of 65,000/month), an FBI police check (easy to get), and the usual other paperwork, and the new visa came back in two weeks. As it was before Oct. 1, no proof of insurance was required. I am now ensuring that every month's transfer is recorded as "FTT" (international transfer), not SMT, and still use TransferWise to do that. I realize that not everyone is willing or able to return home to apply for a new retirement visa as I did, but that was my choice rather than having to deal with Chiang Wattana again until next year (I hope). 

I hope it isn't an OA

"I rushed to SCB and got a letter from them showing the 3 transfers to BKK Bank as international, and went back the following Monday to CM Immigration, and they refused to look at it. And as my previous Extension had expired the day before (on a Sunday), they told me I needed to leave the country..."

Did they refuse to look at the bank letter because "your previous extension had expired" or because they won't accept the bank letter that confirmed your international transfers? I

I have the same issue with my bank statements (they show as SMART transfers) Today, a visa agent insisted that I get a bank letter that will clarify that all my transfers came from international sources would suffice. 

Does anyone know if immigration accept the bank letter?

On 11/29/2019 at 9:50 AM, lopburi3 said:

No it is not coming in from overseas - Transferwise pays from a local Thai account and Bangkok Bank will not list it as foreign unless made from the account they hold.  The order for payment is from overseas but to be sure that is listed your bookkeeper needs to select the correct reason for payment (stay in Thailand which is last listed option).  Obviously they have not done so.

For upcoming extension I would have a bank printout deposits for the last year and letter that account is yours.  I would have copies of my US bank statements showing money sent for additional questions as to source in lieu of pension statements.

The correct reason is "Funds for long term stay in Thailand".

On 11/29/2019 at 6:08 PM, bangkokgalaxy said:

"I rushed to SCB and got a letter from them showing the 3 transfers to BKK Bank as international, and went back the following Monday to CM Immigration, and they refused to look at it. And as my previous Extension had expired the day before (on a Sunday), they told me I needed to leave the country..."

Did they refuse to look at the bank letter because "your previous extension had expired" or because they won't accept the bank letter that confirmed your international transfers? I

I have the same issue with my bank statements (they show as SMART transfers) Today, a visa agent insisted that I get a bank letter that will clarify that all my transfers came from international sources would suffice. 

Does anyone know if immigration accept the bank letter?

The first agent I saw accepted the SCB letter, but her supervisor noticed that I had been there the last work day before- i.e. the Friday, and asked me if I had seen another agent (which my paperwork clearly indicated I had). I was then taken to the agent who had denied me, and who had in fact asked me to get the SCB letter, but the two huddled, and decided I would not get an extension, and then marked through the stamps the agent had already entered, and then told me to leave the country. I almost lost my temper, but gratefully did not. After a pleasant 2-day stay in Phnom Penh, I returned via Suvarnabhumi and had no problems with a visa exempt entry.

On 11/28/2019 at 8:04 PM, DannyCarlton said:

Because of a statement made by Ubon Joe, I asked him what proof woukd be required to prove that the money originated from my UK pension.

This is getting ridiculous.  The whole idea of the new method of requiring monthly transfers is because some embassies were not willing to certify incomes.  OK fine.  Inconvenience.  Now I have read several reports from several immigration offices that are now asking for proof or documentation that the transfers originate not only from a foreign source, but also from a pension!  Well, not everybody has a pension.  Some people have income from many sources, in my case the majority will be dividends and interest from my stock and bond and fund holdings. 

If the Thais are going to look at income sources, then stop the awkward at best monthly transfer requirements!  Of course most Thais will not understand the intricacies of foreign income sources, tax documents, etc.  And I wouldn't want to give them a lot of personal banking information, account statements with account numbers, etc. 

• Like 1