Why is TVF becoming such an unusable website?

thaibeachlovers

2 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

If the left mouse button does not work to place the cursor use the right mouse button.

I know that is not the way things should work, but it works. Problem solved.

It's an intermittent problem, and using the right mouse button doesn't work for me.

Thanks anyway.

I've tried a different mouse that I know works perfectly, but not the mouse.

When I PM someone, I don't have a problem. Only on the forum page with all the things we can't discuss.

I just remembered that I have an old small laptop that was in fashion before tablets got invented. Don't remember what they were called but same size screen as a tablet. I'll see if I can find it and if it still works if it makes any difference.

Hopefully be able to get back on that next week.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reading the posts so far I would guess the platform used for TV is pretty old and either not optimised for different devices (phone/tablet/PC), or not able to be optimised due to age. It certainy 'looks' very dated and is clunky to move around. I suspect the 'server' may be in one of the moderators bedrooms ???? .

Having said that it works fine on my MacBook with Firefox browser. I do find the video pop-up ads very annoying though.

I used the APP for iphone for one day and deleted it as also not the best app ever written.

4 hours ago, Saltire said:

Reading the posts so far I would guess the platform used for TV is pretty old and either not optimised for different devices (phone/tablet/PC), or not able to be optimised due to age. It certainy 'looks' very dated and is clunky to move around. I suspect the 'server' may be in one of the moderators bedrooms ???? .

Having said that it works fine on my MacBook with Firefox browser. I do find the video pop-up ads very annoying though.

I used the APP for iphone for one day and deleted it as also not the best app ever written.

Linear forums are best when viewed on a traditional PC with plenty of real estate mouse and real keyboard. Keeping the various post levels, menus, interactive content and third-party ads inside of a responsive mobile window can be a nightmare.

I actually have no problems here, I built my desk top pc(all top components used) around 3 a years ago and it does fine, have a 24" monitor and a fibre connection through true, I still have the occasional problem with TV being extremely slow but generally it is fairly quick, dont really have ad problems due to a software addition I have  too, on this page I have 4 ads on the extreme right of the screen above the topics/popular now area so they are not obtrusive. Dont even try to get in here with my phone, screen is too small, its either the desk top or my 15" lap top that also has no major problems accessing TV or I dont come in here because of what the op has stated

7 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Vote for NCC1701A for POTY and I will make sure these issues are fixed. Using your tax dollars of course.

Do I detect a tinge of desperation intruding on the POTY competition? Next, I suppose BMT will be offering free bar girl ratings.

For those that care, you might be a bit more concerned that TVF have embedded Facebook Pixel Code in all these pages, to track everything you're looking at on the site (and elsewhere on your browser) and feed that data automatically back to Facebook so you get more targeted ads thrown at you.

I don't have a problem with sites advertising - they have a right to make a buck - but putting Facebook trackers all over your site when it is widely known that Facebook do nothing but build big datasets on individuals and then sell the life out of us, is a bit over the top. I'd trust GoogleAds long before I gave anything of value to Zuckerberg - would be nice if TVF considered a switch too.

Facebook recently registered a company in Singapore and didn't even bother to disguise the fact that they no longer have anything to do with social networking. Their registration states:

Principal Business Activity

'Nuff said!

21 minutes ago, FarangULong said:

I am fairly certain the issue is on your end. For one start using add blockers. You still get the adds on the side, but it's small, but no more pop ups. ie Adblock Plus (free) works fine with Firefox etc.

Also the pop ups alone shouldn't cause you to lag this bad. Fast internet is nice and all, but if you have a crappy, slow pc or overworked laptop, that won't help. Maybe you have a <deleted> ton of malware on your box?

I have never experiened ANY technical difficulties here or slow speeds, at all. And I usually have like 27423423423 tabs open in my browser, VLC player running in the background, etc. I live in the boonies, kind of, so the fastest internet connection available to me isn't even a hard line, it's mobile (LTE), and even there no more than maybe 18 mbit (on a good day).

QUOTE: Adblock Plus (free) works fine with Firefox

Not for me.

Is this the start of a revolt,the mods must be pulling their hair out,

trying to figure  who to ban, delete,they may be used to the odd

complaint,but this is now 4 pages.

There are demonstrations in HK, Columbia,Iraq,Iran,France and now

TV.

regards Worgeordie

3 minutes ago, Puccini said:

I wonder if the Opera browser will also solve his his problem of the cursor movement.

I don't think the browser is his problem, I run Win10 and chrome and don't have any problems with the cursor jumping. it seems to me that there is probably something wrong with his machine, perhaps the touch pad. Perhaps he either needs to decrease or increase the cursor speed, or play around with touchpad preferences.

But those new pop ups are very annoying, I constantly have to close them because they cover functionality. It is making TVF very difficult to use.

"If you have problems with the cursor jumping around while you are typing, you are probably resting your hand on the touchpad, or accidentally touching it, or you have a defective/damaged touchpad or touchscreen. ... Your Chromebook cannot adjust for poor typing methods. "

https://support.google.com/chromebook/thread/9418643?hl=en

Quite funny reading some of the posts on this thread.

Gawd i thought i was the cranky old b++ger but some on here are worse than me.

Stop with your moaning you miserable bar stewards, Thai visa is a damn good site, some things not perfect, but what is?

So the ads are a bit annoying, they need money coming in to survive, mods are a necessary evil, on other sites little or no moderation, some of the posts are shocking.

9 hours ago, FarangULong said:

I am fairly certain the issue is on your end. For one start using add blockers. You still get the adds on the side, but it's small, but no more pop ups. ie Adblock Plus (free) works fine with Firefox etc.

Also the pop ups alone shouldn't cause you to lag this bad. Fast internet is nice and all, but if you have a crappy, slow pc or overworked laptop, that won't help. Maybe you have a <deleted> ton of malware on your box?

I have never experiened ANY technical difficulties here or slow speeds, at all. And I usually have like 27423423423 tabs open in my browser, VLC player running in the background, etc. I live in the boonies, kind of, so the fastest internet connection available to me isn't even a hard line, it's mobile (LTE), and even there no more than maybe 18 mbit (on a good day).

Then must be at my end too.

I use a Samsung Note phone - have to fiddle about closing ads before I can access controls, but some ads can't be closed so I need to go back and reload until a different ad appears.  It's bordering on unusable.

I have been tying to access the classifieds motor and marine section but all I get is      

Network Error (tcp_error) 

A communication error occurred: "Operation timed out" 
The Web Server may be down, too busy, or experiencing other problems preventing it from responding to requests. You may wish to try again at a later time. 

For assistance, contact your network support team. 

Has anyone have this problem ?

1 hour ago, Puccini said:
23 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Opera Browser also eliminates all the problems that @thaibeachlovers is complaining about.

1 hour ago, Puccini said:

I wonder if the Opera browser will also solve his his problem of the cursor movement.

Do please note that I said ALL of the problems. I was enduring exactly the same issues as the O/P, especially that irritating cursor problem, until I switched to Opera.

Happy browsing. ????

18 hours ago, Buffy Frobisher said:

For those that care, you might be a bit more concerned that TVF have embedded Facebook Pixel Code in all these pages, to track everything you're looking at on the site (and elsewhere on your browser) and feed that data automatically back to Facebook so you get more targeted ads thrown at you.

I don't have a problem with sites advertising - they have a right to make a buck - but putting Facebook trackers all over your site when it is widely known that Facebook do nothing but build big datasets on individuals and then sell the life out of us, is a bit over the top. I'd trust GoogleAds long before I gave anything of value to Zuckerberg - would be nice if TVF considered a switch too.

Facebook recently registered a company in Singapore and didn't even bother to disguise the fact that they no longer have anything to do with social networking. Their registration states:

Principal Business Activity

'Nuff said!

Interesting, I have to check this with another OS, as the link doesn't work with NoScript activated.

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 7:55 PM, Yinn said:

Ipad

That I Why I think “why have thai ad?”

Sometime people ask question. I know the answer. Can help them if can write it. 

Then they can show to the thai person in real life what they want. 

Or for document/rule.

Or expalin a word.

or to correct a fake translation. 

Help misunderstanding.

Like that. 

Thankyou. 

You're getting by okay Yinn. I teach you English ... ABC

But I don't think you have an Ipad. I think you have a ThaiPad

On 11/29/2019 at 7:27 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Another problem I forgot to mention is that half the time I can't move the cursor back in the text if I make a mistake. It took me 5 goes to just make the cursor appear on the last sentence so I could put a full stop on it. If the only way to move the cursor is to use the up and down and sideways keys it's a DRAG.

I've been complaining about the speed of this forum for years, and nothing is done. Now it's functionality is becoming dire.

I'm wondering if I should just not bother any more, as it seems that if it goes on like this, I'm just going to go mental. 

I'll carry on but I can't say for how long I will continue to put up with <deleted> pop up VDOs blocking the page. 

Does anyone in charge care about the users experience?

What you need is the Tapatalk App, ah, we can't use that anymore

Archived