old conviction

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

He could apply for a tourist visa and if that is approved fly over and see if he gets in. You should pay for his flight and if he is sent straight back, no real issue. Then you could use the second best man, if he isn't in jail.

(Sorry.... awful humour!)

Terrib;e ????

• Sad 1

42 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Probably not a good idea, why wake a sleeping bear, as this offence took place way before computerised records, it could be that it gone lost somewhere and the idea to get a tourist visa and fly over expecting the worst and he just might be lucky to fly under the Thai radar...

How could that be a problem? Just a check with his name, passport number and etc to check to see if there is anything showing he is banned from entering the country.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

He could apply for a tourist visa and if that is approved fly over and see if he gets in. I have an idea there will be no record so old. You should pay for his flight and if he is sent straight back, no real issue. Then you could use the second best man, if he isn't in jail.

(Sorry.... awful humour!)

Hahaha nice humour...

glegolo

Still they would have records from 24 years ago put away, and he probably was finger printed. I saw my files a few times and the stack was back then and now humungous. If he did skip town on bail then that might possibly be the straw that nails him as it would seem it sort of stays current. Especially for drugs.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I think you are all missing the point. The poor guy just doesn’t want to come to Thailand and pay airfare , hotel etc. and made up the 50 year ban. I’m even more surprised that anyone thinks after 24 years someone who ( May ) have had 2 grams of weed would be on any radar or record in Thailand for this. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Spood said:

MMy friend got caught in Thailand with 2 grams of cannabis 24 years ago .At the time they gave him a 50 year ban .A little harsh maybe .He wants to try and come back .Is there a way he could get his ban of 50 y

9 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

I think you are all missing the point. The poor guy just doesn’t want to come to Thailand and pay airfare , hotel etc. and made up the 50 year ban. I’m even more surprised that anyone thinks after 24 years someone who ( May ) have had 2 grams of weed would be on any radar or record in Thailand for this. 

Care to read it again? I am actually surprised you read it as a made up excuse. It is basic reading comprehension 101. . Maybe or maybe not on the radar. Even if he gets through it may surface up. Not talking opinion either. Have you every seen your file? I have been married twice and here a  long long time and it just amazes me how big my file stack is. They almost have to have a wheelbarrow to move it. It literally has got everyone in it about you.

• Confused 1

I also find it ridiculous that he was banned for 50 years for 2 grams of weed. Does he have anything in writing? You can ask someone connected to check at immigration if there's any notes on him. 

As a comparison "a friend" was caught with 200g 4 years ago and the fine was 3000 baht. He did 50 days inside and it was paid off. He walked free and is still here.

These days you only get blacklisted for something really savage. <deleted> weed will be legal here within 18 months.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Care to read it again? I am actually surprised you read it as a made up excuse. It is basic reading comprehension 101. . Maybe or maybe not on the radar. Even if he gets through it may surface up. Not talking opinion either. Have you every seen your file? I have been married twice and here a  long long time and it just amazes me how big my file stack is. They almost have to have a wheelbarrow to move it. It literally has got everyone in it about you.

I doubt it. A wheelbarrow of files kept organized here for 24+ years. LMAO!

I READ your post. I also said this guys “ friend” probably made up a 50 year ban. Why not for life or 100 years??

Edited by alex8912
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

They weren't as organized as they are now 24 years ago.
Their computer software was very bad, viruses, etc...

I pretty much doubt that this is still an issue. If I were you, I'd apply for a TV at a Thai consulate and ask them to have a look into their computer system.

The difference from a Thai embassy to a Thai consulate is obvious. You're dealing with folks from your own country and they'd tell you if such a note exists.

Best of luck. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

I doubt it. A wheelbarrow of files kept organized here for 24+ years. LMAO!

I READ your post. I also said this guys “ friend” probably made up a 50 year ban. Why not for life or 100 years??

You have no reason to doubt a real story. And the OP di not bend towards the way of telling a fable. The file goes way way back to Suanplu days. 

Hopefully I can help . . . . 

Firstly I have spoken to a very good friend of mine who is a very experienced Thai Immigration Office, she told me that there was a very concerted effort to have ALL Thai Immigration related offences added to the current data base and there is a very high probability that the personal details, offence and punishment of your friend have been recorded on the current data base; all entry bans would enforced.

Private message me if you want help with checking the current Immigration status of your friend 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I suggest he have somebody check with immigration to find out if his ban is still in effect.

I find it odd he was banned for that small of a amount even 24 years ago.

To folks arguing this suggestion by UbonJoe, pump the brakes ... no one is saying "go to immigration and tell the whole 2 grams, 50 year ban story" which then sort of forces Immigration's hand ... I believe he is saying, show immigration a copy of his passport, tell them he wants to come to a wedding, and ask if there is any problem getting a tourist stamp.  Even if they ask "why?" ... you can just say "Expensive ticket, want no drama" Then let the chips fall where they may.  You people are WAY over thinking this ... 

7 minutes ago, bangkokequity said:

To folks arguing this suggestion by UbonJoe, pump the brakes ... no one is saying "go to immigration and tell the whole 2 grams, 50 year ban story" which then sort of forces Immigration's hand ... I believe he is saying, show immigration a copy of his passport, tell them he wants to come to a wedding, and ask if there is any problem getting a tourist stamp.  Even if they ask "why?" ... you can just say "Expensive ticket, want no drama" Then let the chips fall where they may.  You people are WAY over thinking this ... 

you think a consulate is going to investigate or call immigration in Thailand to check the “ record” or something for this guy ?  They check NOTHING when you apply for a tourist visa in the states at least. I used to get triple entry tourist visas and my first METV in 2015 from Boston and we just chit chatted for exactly 9 minutes while she hand wrote out my visas and gave me back my passport and I left. That was 4 years ago. Where exactly are you “ showing immigration “ a copy of your passport dude??? There is NO immigration for Thailand EXCEPT in Thailand!! If you go to a consulate you need an appointment. Can you re read your absurd post?  This is NOT what Ubon Joe meant but I am a bit confused EXACTLY what he wrote. You are completely off however. You are the one over thinking by the drivel you posted. 

7 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

you think a consulate is going to investigate or call immigration in Thailand to check the “ record” or something for this guy ?  They check NOTHING when you apply for a tourist visa in the states at least. I used to get triple entry tourist visas and my first METV in 2015 from Boston and we just chit chatted for exactly 9 minutes while she hand wrote out my visas and gave me back my passport and I left. That was 4 years ago. Where exactly are you “ showing immigration “ a copy of your passport dude??? There is NO immigration for Thailand EXCEPT in Thailand!! If you go to a consulate you need an appointment. Can you re read your absurd post?  This is NOT what Ubon Joe meant but I am a bit confused EXACTLY what he wrote. You are completely off however. You are the one over thinking by the drivel you posted. 

Dude ... did you skip your 7:00 meds again?  I did make one leap here, that the person getting married LIVES IN THAILAND so yeah ... it would be easy top go to immigration and show a copy of his passport.  Flights cost MONEY, and getting a turn around and the next flight OUT is no fun!  Since I have lived in Bangkok for 9 years ... and never missed a 90 day, a TM30, or an extension ... I guess I don't know much.  Chill out !  Wow!

7 minutes ago, WhatupThailand said:

Don't forget the War on Drugs is a International thing.

Have him do a Police Record check at his home location first.

Many times a Drug Offense will be entered thru Interpol and other International Data Base Records.

Thank the UN for pushing their Drug List and War on Drugs agenda.

At my home in Massachusetts I can go down the street and purchase marijuana or a variety of edibles and drive home and get pulled over by the cops for something and they can’t take my pot. A home police record is NOT going to show something that happened in Thailand 2 years ago or 24 years ago. What are you people smoking??? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bangkokequity said:

Dude ... did you skip your 7:00 meds again?  I did make one leap here, that the person getting married LIVES IN THAILAND so yeah ... it would be easy top go to immigration and show a copy of his passport.  Flights cost MONEY, and getting a turn around and the next flight OUT is no fun!  Since I have lived in Bangkok for 9 years ... and never missed a 90 day, a TM30, or an extension ... I guess I don't know much.  Chill out !  Wow!

Oh god. Have him go to Chang Wattana with a copy of someone else’s passport and wait in a line that doesn’t exist for something like this and spend 1/2 a day doing this. Yah right.  PS I take no meds. 

15 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

Oh god. Have him go to Chang Wattana with a copy of someone else’s passport and wait in a line that doesn’t exist for something like this and spend 1/2 a day doing this. Yah right.  PS I take no meds. 

Actually, there is a way to get this done easily at Chang Wattana ... and if you think I am going to tell you  ... you smoked your lunch.  I was just trying to help people understand (1) The concern this person has about a possible problem is real (2) There are simple solutions at hand.  Good Bye ... and if you are not taking meds .. you might want to consider it ... or at least deal with your anger issues?  expacially since you are not even following the thread .. this is not about what happens to YOU in BOSTON ... it is about what happened to HIM in THAILAND.  Good Bye.  I don't need BS from you,

Edited by Guest

6 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Have you every seen your file? I have been married twice and here a  long long time and it just amazes me how big my file stack is. They almost have to have a wheelbarrow to move it. It literally has got everyone in it about you.

What is your "file stack"?
Where is it?
What is it about?

Who produced it? 

How did you see it?

Have you read it?

Who is "they who almost need to have a wheelbarrow" 

"It literally has got everyone in it about you"- if it is so big when did you read it and find out all this info?

Please explain.  

Edited by scottiejohn
  • Thanks 1