old conviction

12 hours ago, jacko45k said:

He could apply for a tourist visa and if that is approved fly over and see if he gets in. I have an idea there will be no record so old. You should pay for his flight and if he is sent straight back, no real issue. Then you could use the second best man, if he isn't in jail.

(Sorry.... awful humour!)

The English woman that was caught, imprisoned then returned to UK in the 90s....applied and was issued a tourist visa a few years ago but was denied entry.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

What is your "file stack"?
Where is it?
What is it about?

Who produced it? 
How did you see it?

Have you read it?

Who is "they who almost need to have a wheelbarrow" 

Please explain.  

I don't know anything about this person, but let me guess the obvious...

What is your "file stack"? - A large pile of files.
Where is it? - Immigration
What is it about? - The person who was married twice and lives in Thailand

Who produced it? - Immigration, enforcing laws, and this person furnishing the myriad of required paperwork.
How did you see it? - He went to immigration and he has eyes in his head.

Have you read it? - Since he wrote and provided most of this "Yes"

Who is "they who almost need to have a wheelbarrow" - Again .. Immigration

Now let me ask YOU a question .. Have you ever BEEN to Thai Immigration and seen the mountains of paperwork on the desks?  Have you seen your thick as a brick file?

Is this really that hard for you to understand

49 minutes ago, bangkokequity said:

I don't know anything about this person, but let me guess the obvious...

What is your "file stack"? - A large pile of files.
Where is it? - Immigration
What is it about? - The person who was married twice and lives in Thailand

Who produced it? - Immigration, enforcing laws, and this person furnishing the myriad of required paperwork.
How did you see it? - He went to immigration and he has eyes in his head.

Have you read it? - Since he wrote and provided most of this "Yes"

Who is "they who almost need to have a wheelbarrow" - Again .. Immigration

Now let me ask YOU a question .. Have you ever BEEN to Thai Immigration and seen the mountains of paperwork on the desks?  Have you seen your thick as a brick file?

Is this really that hard for you to understand

Yes it is. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

Are you "holy cow" who I asked the questions of.  If not I suggest you shut up and let that person answer. 

Nope ... but what I am asking is:  Is this hard to take a guess at?

What is your "file stack"? - A large pile of files.
Where is it? - Immigration
What is it about? - The person who was married twice and lives in Thailand

Who produced it? - Immigration, enforcing laws, and this person furnishing the myriad of required paperwork.
How did you see it? - He went to immigration and he has eyes in his head.

Have you read it? - Since he wrote and provided most of this "Yes"

Who is "they who almost need to have a wheelbarrow" - Again .. Immigration

1 hour ago, bangkokequity said:

Yes; But how do you, or the third party you are responding on behalf of, know the contents of those files?

8 hours ago, 007 RED said:

My friend got caught in Thailand with 2 grams of cannabis 24 years ago .At the time they gave him a 50 year ban .A little harsh maybe .He wants to try and come back .Is there a way he could get his ban of 50 years reduced of quashed .Any help would be great as he is my best man for my wedding and i would love hime to be there 

Thank you Spude 

OP

There is a high probability that if your friend was deported and subsequently banned from entering the Kingdom 24 years ago that this will be recorded on the current Immigration database.

As another TV member has indicated, several years ago when the Immigration system was being updated there was a big push to computerise as many of the old paper records as possible.  High priority was given specifically to the records of those relating to individuals who had been convicted of a criminal offence and/or been banned from the Kingdom.

As has also been pointed out, during the 24 years that have elapsed your friend would have possibly had one or more new passports.  Unfortunately having a new passport does not ‘wipe’ your friend's Immigration record clean.  The immigration system is sophisticated enough to be able to link a new passport to an old one very quickly (fractions of second), unless your friend has changed his gender, date of birth and names.

FYI… Your friend should have no trouble getting a visa (if that is necessary) as Thai Embassies/Consulates currently do not have access to the Thai Immigration system.

If you friend was to purchase a ticket to fly to Thailand, what he may well find is that when he goes to check in, the check in agent will politely inform him that the airline is unable to allow him to travel.  This is because all airlines flying to Thailand are required to electronically send basic biographical data of all passengers to the Thai Authorities prior to the flight.  The passenger details are electronically sent via what is known as the Advance Passenger Information System (APIS) and then checked by various agencies (Immigration, Police, Customs and Special Branch).  If anything untoward is known about a person e.g. they have been banned from entering the Kingdom, the airline will receive an electronically coded feedback to indicate ‘deny boarding’.  The airline will not know the reason for the denial, and they will not allow the person to fly as they will face a very substantial financial penalty if they do and the passenger is subsequently denied entry upon arrival.

Unfortunately if your friend’s record does exist on the Immigration system, and he is denied boarding by the airline he will not get a refund from the airline for the unused flights, neither will he be able to make a claim against any travel insurance he may have for the cancellation of the flight as most travel insurance policies exclude claims arising from being denied entry by a country.  Could be an expensive loss.

If your friend was to fly into a neighbouring country (they will not know about him having been banned from Thailand), he could then attempt a crossing by one of the authorised land crossing points.  If the Thai Immigration Officer denies him entry because his ban is on the system, at worse he will only have to walk back into the Country where he just exited from and have to endure a holiday in a different country.

What entry point does not have the bio metrics .Thank you for your response 

On 11/29/2019 at 7:42 AM, jacko45k said:

He could apply for a tourist visa and if that is approved fly over and see if he gets in. I have an idea there will be no record so old. You should pay for his flight and if he is sent straight back, no real issue. Then you could use the second best man, if he isn't in jail.

(Sorry.... awful humour!)

Wrong. Only idiots would fly directly to Thailand.

He must fly to Cambodia or Malaysia, so in case of problem he could be sent back there.

Not rocket science.

3 hours ago, Spood said:

What entry point does not have the bio metrics .Thank you for your response 

When it comes to blacklisting, the presence of absence of biometrics at the border crossing is mostly irrelevant. The system will make a tentative match on name/gender/date of birth, and the immigration official will confirm the connection. Once this is done, the blacklisting will be enforced unless, possibly, you are willing to pay a big bribe for the official to fail to link the passports as the system recommends.

5 hours ago, gamesgplayemail said:

Wrong. Only idiots would fly directly to Thailand.

He must fly to Cambodia or Malaysia, so in case of problem he could be sent back there.

Not rocket science.

Well if he isn't attending his friend's wedding as best man perhaps he would prefer to go back home....  read the history. He wants to come to Thailand.... only idiots want to go to Cambodia!

19 hours ago, 007 RED said:

My friend got caught in Thailand with 2 grams of cannabis 24 years ago .At the time they gave him a 50 year ban .A little harsh maybe .He wants to try and come back .Is there a way he could get his ban of 50 years reduced of quashed .Any help would be great as he is my best man for my wedding and i would love hime to be there 

Thank you Spude 

OP

There is a high probability that if your friend was deported and subsequently banned from entering the Kingdom 24 years ago that this will be recorded on the current Immigration database.

As another TV member has indicated, several years ago when the Immigration system was being updated there was a big push to computerise as many of the old paper records as possible.  High priority was given specifically to the records of those relating to individuals who had been convicted of a criminal offence and/or been banned from the Kingdom.

As has also been pointed out, during the 24 years that have elapsed your friend would have possibly had one or more new passports.  Unfortunately having a new passport does not ‘wipe’ your friend's Immigration record clean.  The immigration system is sophisticated enough to be able to link a new passport to an old one very quickly (fractions of second), unless your friend has changed his gender, date of birth and names.

FYI… Your friend should have no trouble getting a visa (if that is necessary) as Thai Embassies/Consulates currently do not have access to the Thai Immigration system.

If you friend was to purchase a ticket to fly to Thailand, what he may well find is that when he goes to check in, the check in agent will politely inform him that the airline is unable to allow him to travel.  This is because all airlines flying to Thailand are required to electronically send basic biographical data of all passengers to the Thai Authorities prior to the flight.  The passenger details are electronically sent via what is known as the Advance Passenger Information System (APIS) and then checked by various agencies (Immigration, Police, Customs and Special Branch).  If anything untoward is known about a person e.g. they have been banned from entering the Kingdom, the airline will receive an electronically coded feedback to indicate ‘deny boarding’.  The airline will not know the reason for the denial, and they will not allow the person to fly as they will face a very substantial financial penalty if they do and the passenger is subsequently denied entry upon arrival.

Unfortunately if your friend’s record does exist on the Immigration system, and he is denied boarding by the airline he will not get a refund from the airline for the unused flights, neither will he be able to make a claim against any travel insurance he may have for the cancellation of the flight as most travel insurance policies exclude claims arising from being denied entry by a country.  Could be an expensive loss.

If your friend was to fly into a neighbouring country (they will not know about him having been banned from Thailand), he could then attempt a crossing by one of the authorised land crossing points.  If the Thai Immigration Officer denies him entry because his ban is on the system, at worse he will only have to walk back into the Country where he just exited from and have to endure a holiday in a different country.

What a refreshing and informative posting.  Well done!  A rare treat on Thai Visa ... a real "value add" reply.  This is why I endure pages of haters and drivel ... to occasionally get some good information!  THANK YOU!