Sliced White Bread - New !

CharlieH

Just a brief word on recent observation.

Some of you in larger cities may already have this but it's only just arrived in the Boonies.

Previously for white sliced bread I have bought the "Royal" brand. 5 slices thick white bread. Tesco has obviously been monitoring sales of it and has now introduced their own version "Emperor" bread, slightly larger and thicker slices but much nicer bread, better texture and taste.(IMHO).

Great for toast or sandwiches.

I was using the Royal multi grain stuff but at Bht 40 for 5 slices it is expensive. One loaf a day (2 x toast and 1 x butty)  = Bht 14600 a year. Can buy a breadmaker for that !

However, I find that Macro's sliced multigrain @ Bht 35 for 8 slices is better and cheaper butties too. Only Bht 6387 a year. 

Lazada here we come, breadmakers.

Tried the Red for multi grain, Green for whole wheat and the Gold for plain ! ????????

I like the plain white for Toast and at 35 in Tesco for their Emperor version I was happy. I don't eat alot of it mostly morning toast and the odd slice with meals mostly involving runny eggs or beans !! 

Although I do enjoy a good sausage or bacon sarny too !!

On the bread topic, anyone else noticed how the regular sliced sandwich bread loaves that retail for between 32 and 35 baht depending on brand are about 20% smaller than maybe a couple of years ago? I am waiting for the producers of sandwich ham products to twig to this and downsize as having the ham overhanging the edges of the bread slices doesn't work too well in the the toasty maker! Yes, I can trim the ham but why has the generic Thai sandwich bread shrunk... and stayed roughly the same price?

1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

On the bread topic, anyone else noticed how the regular sliced sandwich bread loaves that retail for between 32 and 35 baht depending on brand are about 20% smaller than maybe a couple of years ago? I am waiting for the producers of sandwich ham products to twig to this and downsize as having the ham overhanging the edges of the bread slices doesn't work too well in the the toasty maker! Yes, I can trim the ham but why has the generic Thai sandwich bread shrunk... and stayed roughly the same price?

Same as many other products where the packet is larger or filled with air and the content reduced. 

Pet peeve of mine this "illusion" selling.

Hate gimmicks and sales cons !.

My go-to bread is Big C's large sourdough which for 78 baht easily lasts me a week, toasts well and makes for tastier breakfast toast or tuna or ham-cheese-tomato sandwiches than the square white or 'wholegrain' stuff. Their in-house slicing yields a thinner slice but you can buy them whole and DIY thicker slices at home if you prefer.

35 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

I was using the Royal multi grain stuff but at Bht 40 for 5 slices it is expensive. One loaf a day (2 x toast and 1 x butty)  = Bht 14600 a year. Can buy a breadmaker for that !

However, I find that Macro's sliced multigrain @ Bht 35 for 8 slices is better and cheaper butties too. Only Bht 6387 a year. 

Lazada here we come, breadmakers.

I looked in to this bread making idea.

My conclusion was, the bread didn't seem to last too long as the mass produced stuff has something in it to keep it fresh longer.

The ingredients cost for what was produced didn't seem worth the hassle.

Just easier to pay the 35 ish baht and done ! ????????

And the biggest factor, she moans like crazy if I try to do anything for myself in the Kitchen !!! It's HER job not mine.????????

2 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

My go-to bread is Big C's large sourdough which for 78 baht easily lasts me a week, toasts well and makes for tastier breakfast toast or tuna or ham-cheese-tomato sandwiches than the square white or 'wholegrain' stuff. Their in-house slicing yields a thinner slice but you can buy them whole and DIY thicker slices at home if you prefer.

Our Big C is <deleted> ! The shelves are always half empty (not from sales) what they make is awful and no variety at all, never seen sour dough there ever ! Typical Thailand and consistency is a rare commodity. 

For a few weeks our local Big C trialed a fantastic sliced whole grain loaf. Wasn't square shaped, more country loaf style. 

It cost over a hundred baht but it was the best wholegrain loaf I have ever tasted anywhere including the UK and well worth the high price. Truly delicious.

And that was the problem. I liked it so they stopped selling it just to spite me. Now , every time I pass a different Big C elsewhere I like for it but it seems to be gone forever.

4 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

I looked in to this breaking idea.

My conclusion was, the bread didn't seem to last too long as the mass produced stuff has something in it to keep it fresh longer.

And the biggest factor, she moans like crazy if I try to do anything for myself in the Kitchen !!! It's HER job not mine.????????

But will the stuff they put in it to make it last longer make YOU last longer?    LOL

Theoretically you just put the ingredients into the bread maker, set a timer for when you want it ready, and that's it. Even SHE could do that each evening, fresh bread smell to wake up to.

1 minute ago, wgdanson said:

But will the stuff they put in it to make it last longer make YOU last longer?    LOL

Theoretically you just put the ingredients into the bread maker, set a timer for when you want it ready, and that's it. Even SHE could do that each evening, fresh bread smell to wake up to.

In theory you are probably right, practice is whole new ball game.....5555555 I'll stick to buying it thanks ????????

Thick/sweet Farmhouse bread - but popular.  Prefer the old whole wheat version myself (for hot dog buns).

Farmhouse has improved over the years but sliced breads have never recovered since Gardenia stopped sales in Thailand.  Anyone know why they departed?

3 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

In theory you are probably right, practice is whole new ball game.....5555555 I'll stick to buying it thanks ????????

Luckily I am bringing back from UK a discarded bread maker which my brother will give me. Dunno what it weighs.....Air Asia baggage charges. 

I shall keep you informed. 

1 minute ago, stephenterry said:

White bread = processed junk food. Whole grain is better. I buy a German 'Mixed Cereals Bread' pack from Rimping at a hefty price, but it's high in fibre and healthy nutrients. Good for relieving constipation toasted with sliced banana and/or apple on top.

Yes but not all of us have access to such things. The processed junk as you call it, is often preferable to nothing! 

57 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Same as many other products where the packet is larger or filled with air and the content reduced. 

Pet peeve of mine this "illusion" selling.

Hate gimmicks and sales cons !.

Yes , like those bags of crisps , the ones that go bang if you pop them. Rattle them and sounds like 6 crisps inside.

50 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Totally agree. The sour dough is really tasty.

IMOH, Well worth the move to the brighter lights ????

58 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

I looked in to this bread making idea.

If you have a family its worthwhile. We have a breadmaker. At least you can control what is going into the bread. A lot of processed food is high is sodium to give it a longer shelflife. 

Our made bread can last -12 weeks easily if kept in the fridge. 

The healthiest to eat is multigrain - all kinds of seeds and ground-up nuts can be used in the mix - I'm trying to reduce simple carbs, so try to avoid white bread. 

Archived