BANGKOK
Stuck01

Lost Passport due to agent witholding

20 hours ago, anchadian said:

An extension yes but not an actual VISA

You extend a visa. The stamp in your passport confirming that is a visa.

• Sad 2

3 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

No it is not a visa - it is the permitted to stay stamp.

Look up the legal definition of a visa. It's the stamp allowing you to stay. The type is not important, be retirement, marriage or extension of. The stamp is a visa.

• Sad 2

35 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

You extend a stay, not a visa. Thats why you need a re-entry permit to re-enter. If you still had a valid extended visa then you wouldn't need a re-entry permit.

Nobody has ever extended a visa, either inside or outside of thailand.

A Visa is an entry document and generates a stay.

The stamp is an extension of stay, see below, it says extension of stay not extension of visa.

Image result for thailand extension stamp

The definition is a visa. A stamp or seal allowing you to stay is a visa. Semantics i know 🙂

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

21 hours ago, GalaxyMan said:

Not true. I got my Non-O while in Thailand, though I had to pay an agent 35,000 baht to make it happen.

so not straight forward then, 2,000 baht for a non imm 'O' visa as part of a conversion process, so 33,000 baht for what

• Like 1

21 hours ago, bbi1 said:

I guess this post serves as a lesson for all those people on ThaiVisa who likes using Agents to bribe IO's. Don't use Agents unless you wanna gamble with having a lost passport 😉

The majority of agents are OK, I have only ever came across one crooked agent, I cannot name him for obvious reasons.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, chrissables said:

The definition is a visa. A stamp or seal allowing you to stay is a visa. Semantics i know

it allows you entry for a certain period of time (a 90 day non imm O as an example, gives you 90 day stay).  but when you want to extend that 'stay period', the visa is not extended.  you are extending your 'permission to stay'.

if you get a new passport, visas are not required to be transferred from the old to the new.  but extensions of stay are transferred from the old to the new. 

edit:

in the bottom of the picture where it says 'to keep your stay permit', it would say 'to keep your visa permit' if it was actually a visa.  single entry visas are cancelled upon entry and at that point you are on a 'permission to stay', not a visa.

Edited by buick
  • Like 2

Did I get anything wrong? The passport is with the Agent who is in default of returning it. I would go to the Police and visit the Agent together with them. Problem solved.

18 minutes ago, Prince77 said:

Did I get anything wrong? The passport is with the Agent who is in default of returning it. I would go to the Police and visit the Agent together with them. Problem solved.

If willing to pay the police, that might work. However, beware. The agent may well be able to outbid you, and you could end up in a world of hurt. Recognise that agents often have very good connections.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrissables said:

The definition is a visa. A stamp or seal allowing you to stay is a visa. Semantics i know 🙂

A visa allows you to cross the border during its valid dates. Permission to stay is granted, or not, when you present said visa to the border authority.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, GalaxyMan said:

Not true. I got my Non-O while in Thailand, though I had to pay an agent 35,000 baht to make it happen.

well no you could have done it yourself, that conversion is a normal activity of immigration

It sounds like the friend was doing something illigal like sending his passport out of country for a visa.