Before: Pattaya never sleeps! After: Everyone in bed by 11 pm: Resort is dead say Thais

webfact

1 hour ago, Chivas said:

Out of interest and the source is current owner of Two Go Go bars in LK Metro but where the Avenue was the complex that never took off originally its being redeveloped with 40 Beer Bars, 35 Go Go's and 2 nightclubs.

Source is impeccable though am very surprised if even remotely accurate. We'll see on this one....

I can't see the economical interest of this

there are already in the same area 2 streets 

(Soi 13\1 aka soi yamato and soi 13\2 aka soi post office)

full of beer bars, massage and even some gogos and for

the most of them they are dying.

The same thing for the beer bar complex on the same side of ''The Avenue''

at around 100 meters, before the entry of Soi Diana

not enough customers is the main problem in all these places

i can't see someone decided to lose more money creating a new mega bar complex

particularly at a place which has already fallen (The Thais are very superstitious)

29 minutes ago, newnative said:

Supply and demand.  That's all it comes down to.  Pattaya will end up with the number of small and large businesses that it can support selling 'X' products--be it massages, laundry services, food, bars, sex, or whatever.  The tourist demographic is changing and there are now fewer Western tourists--which means demand for Western-style bars is less, which means some of these bars may close.  When people no longer needed buggy whips--having moved on to Model Ts--buggy whip sellers had to move on, too--to another type of job.  Sad, yes, but that's life and some Pattaya workers may have to do a different job as supply and demand and the changing demographics adjusts the mix of shops and businesses.  A beer bar closed, but an Audi car dealership opened.  A massage shop went under, but Jomtien Hospital will soon open--creating lots of new jobs.  And, so it goes. 

I used to live near one of the busiest malls in America, in one of the richest counties in America.  Tremendous foot traffic with very affluent shoppers.  Yet, even in this mall there were stores that didn't make it--there were not enough shoppers for what they were selling and/or there were already enough shops for this product.  Supply and demand. 

In your dreams

a lot of shop close and are remplaced by absolute nothing

i have hundreds of examples and i could take photos of them if you want.

This why you see everywhere in the city big signs FOR RENT or FOR SALE 

or sometimes just nothing, just a definitively close shop.

They build a lot, malls, Condos and hotels, and then they hope someone is going to come to fill it.

Problem is most of these projects have been launched years ago, when the tourists numbers was rocketed (Mostly because of the Chineses) but now it's down (And not only because of the chineses)but it's too late to stop all these big projects, so be ready to see a lot of empty buildings in the future.

Edited by kingofthemountain
  • Like 2

As an American who's had the great fortune and privilege to travel to 65 countries and live in 10 of them, I was always happy to put Thailand at the top of my list of favorites. I've lived here for the past 5 years, but sadly, this will be my last. I've heard all the "excuses" used to justify onerous rules, regulations and requirements that seem designed to rid the country of all but the big-money investors. Compare this with Vietnam, whose welcoming spirit, sensible and reasonable visa/immigration policies, and prices more in line with what Thailand USED to be are pushing that "Communist" country toward the realm of leading world economies. Thailand's reputation, meanwhile, is in freefall, as it continues a relentless march toward something that only rich foreigners looking to...eh hem..."park"...their money (seemingly in a vast landscape of half-empty condos) can appreciate.  'Course, those people will prosper. It's the regular folks who'll pay the real price - and a steep one it will be. 

Edited by Guest

39 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

They build a lot, malls, Condos and hotels, and then they hope someone is going to come to fill it.

"They" being one of the two prominent families in the retail market, if nobody comes to fill the space it will make zero difference to them at this time as they have "all" the money anyway! what else are they going to do with their money - sharing is not an option :wink:

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

The ammart decided to sell off Thailand to China and that's what they are doing. To be fair Thais still give Prayut their vote so I have given up caring. Thailand has gone and the rich get richer.

No, that's not true. The votes were manipulated and this country should never ever have such a president. That includes Prawit & Co. 

Edited by Isaanbiker
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

To be fair Thais still give Prayut their vote so I have given up caring.

It's more of a case that many Thai people had their anti-junta votes stolen, nullified or otherwise invalidated. Some voted for the many small independent parties who subsequently signed up to an after-the-fact coalition with the 'elected' government. Or the party they voted for has their leader banned from politics on some nebulous charges with the party and all its elected MP's similarly cast into the political wilderness just a few months later.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, CGW said:

"They" being one of the two prominent families in the retail market, if nobody comes to fill the space it will make zero difference to them at this time as they have "all" the money anyway! what else are they going to do with their money - sharing is not an option :wink:

Exactly. Instead of making 10 million, they lose 5 million. On a stated net worth of billions, it is fundamentally irrelevant.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, farangchuma said:

This is exactly what I wanted when I wrote an open letter to Thailand. The city of Pattya is a joke known for low quality sexpat farangs' heaven for finding a bride thirty years younger to them. It is an adult Disley land for sexpat farangs. The things they can do in Thailand with a crane operator or a high school educated factory worker's  salary in the West, farangs could never do with their entire family's income in the West. I wanted to remind Thailand why farangs come to Thailand. They don't come to Thailand for its temples, food, arts and cultute. They only come for sex. In my open letter to thailand, I challeged Thailand to name another country where farangs have married to more sex workers than Thailand and also challeged Thailand to name a country that has solved its poverty by pimping nations' daughters to farangs in marrage. In coming months, I'm publishing more open letters to Thailand to expose how not to become a heaven for sexpat farangs and a bride mill for older farangs. 

In the meantime, the modern industrial estates, many of which lie well within an hour's drive from your 'sexpat central' is home to the largest car assembly industry in southeast Asia and 12th largest in the world.

By the way, where did you get your horse and exactly how high is it?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

In your dreams

a lot of shop close and are remplaced by absolute nothing

i have hundreds of examples and i could take photos of them if you want.

This why you see everywhere in the city big signs FOR RENT or FOR SALE 

or sometimes just nothing, just a definitively close shop.

Problem is most of these projects have been launched years ago, when the tourists numbers was rocketed (Mostly because of the Chineses) but now it's down (And not only because of the chineses)but it's too late to stop all these big projects, so be ready to see a lot of empty buildings in the future.

I can go out and take photos of closed shops in any city in the World.  And, yes, always the argument that all these projects were launched years ago when things were, supposedly, better.  I'm not buying it, sorry.  The Grand Centre Point 2 project I mentioned hasn't broken ground just yet--only the construction fence is up.  Very easy to shelve the project if they wanted to.  The same for the other new project going up just down the street.  The new Amari addition and the Ozo Hotel could also have been cancelled or postponed.  As I already said, some shops and businesses will close--but others will open and take their place.  Centre Point 2 is replacing a small, rundown, low-rise resort and will be a much larger, nicer high-rise resort--with many more jobs.  

Since I arrived in 2010, one large, new hospital opened and, now, another large, new hospital is being built.  Hospitals are very expensive to build and run--and are not built on a whim.  Pattaya is growing enough that it needs not one but two new hospitals to join the ones that were already here.   I'm sorry there are fewer old, Western farangs in Pattaya--I fit that category myself--but that doesn't automatically equate to Pattaya being dead.  

21 minutes ago, atyclb said:

vietnam is better organized, people more awake, more efficient, food is great and not expensive, good coffee, not trying to cheat and scam you at every corner.  hassle free visa, hassle free should you want to make a business or work.  da nang for me as a surfer is a decent place to get into shape though no world class waves, bali and sri lanka are just a plane ride away.

I have done business in Vietnam mainly dealing with state-owned enterprises and believe me, it is far, far from your claim of being better organized and more efficient.

Their coffee is at best average as is their whole cuisine. The seafood is spectacularly bland and uninspiring.

The Vietnam work visa situation is still a work in progress and AFAIK, there's absolutely nothing on the politburo's agenda about making things easy for old foreign retirees.

But I do hear repeatedly that Danang is the go-to place for a 'decent' Indian curry if that's what floats your boat.

59 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I have done business in Vietnam mainly dealing with state-owned enterprises and believe me, it is far, far from your claim of being better organized and more efficient.

Their coffee is at best average as is their whole cuisine. The seafood is spectacularly bland and uninspiring.

The Vietnam work visa situation is still a work in progress and AFAIK, there's absolutely nothing on the politburo's agenda about making things easy for old foreign retirees.

But I do hear repeatedly that Danang is the go-to place for a 'decent' Indian curry if that's what floats your boat.

A couple of friends who 'used to' run small bars/restaurants in Vietnam are now back in Thailand. The days of easy visas and WP's to run those kind of places they say have almost disappeared.

It can still be done but it's no longer as inexpensive, simple and easy as before.

Edited by overherebc

1 hour ago, Isaanbiker said:

No, that's not true. The votes were manipulated and this country should never ever have such a president. That includes Prawit & Co. 

Yes it is true. Thais voted to approve the new constitution, which guaranteed a faux election and the junta to remain in power in prepetuity.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BobBKK said:

The ammart decided to sell off Thailand to China and that's what they are doing. To be fair Thais still give Prayut their vote so I have given up caring. Thailand has gone and the rich get richer.

Yes but it is not the young but rather the old retentive aging THAI who have lost sense of fun or adventure.The young in no way want to be slap monitored and controlled by over jealous militaristic old fart dinosaurs who pledge allegiance to themselves and the elite. I seriously think an uprising is needed to take back the youths freedom they deserve but it seems too far gone and they perhaps too timid and scared to do anything. I am thinking for ultimate affordable cheap enjoyable put a huge smile on your face fun just might only be in Cambodia. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, newnative said:

Yes, these 'Pattaya is Dead' threads are amusing.

Agree, but so many of them recently that they become very boring.

Looks like any title saying some bad about Pattaya is an excellent clickbait for ThaiVisa… :whistling:

BTW, this morning just after 6AM JP-Republic and several other Walking Street discos were still playing musing strong and loud. People were slowly starting to leave these disco, but with absolutely no hurry.

Saying that "Everyone is in bed at 11pm" is just pure BS... again.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Duck J Butters said:

“one of Thailand's premier seaside resorts”
HahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahaga Pattaya premiere? Pattaya is a dump. I wouldn’t set foot in Pattaya in a million years. Why on Earth would anyone ever go to Pattaya? It’s a literal haven for white trash. I’ve been living in Thailand for 5 years. I went to Pattaya once and my wife and I were literally laughing at the 1000+ prostitutes lined up along the beach. It is truly shocking to me that any respectable foreigner would live in Pattaya when you have Phuket?? Phuket is where it’s at. Good riddens to Pattaya, I will be rejoicing when this dumpster den collapses. Folks, Phuket is the only legit place to live in Thailand ( not Patong ). Laguna, Kamala, and Naithon Beach. Even Patong is still like 10 steps up from Pattaya. Premier Resort in Pattaya?? Gahahagahahwgagagagagagagaagaaggaagagagahag. 

This poster is obviously a TAT Rep for Phuket

23 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

Agree, but so many of them recently that they become very boring.

Looks like any title saying some bad about Pattaya is an excellent clickbait for ThaiVisa… :whistling:

BTW, this morning just after 6AM JP-Republic and several other Walking Street discos were still playing musing strong and loud. People were slowly starting to leave these disco, but with absolutely no hurry.

Saying that "Everyone is in bed at 11pm" is just pure BS... again.

I like the ones that start off "I haven't been to Pattaya in years..."

On 11/29/2019 at 1:18 PM, hyku1147 said:

I got a really bad feeling when they started to widen Beach Road.

I figured that the project was poorly planned, but  i had no idea that it was a harbinger of radical change.

Pattaya was the Las Vegas of South East Asia.

If you read the collection of essays, Parkinson's Law, you will see that he explains why that kind of project is a sure sign that an institution is dying. The example he used was the British Colonial Office, which built a huge, new headquarters building just after the last colony was granted independence.

On 11/29/2019 at 5:59 AM, metempsychotic said:

while the government have surely dropped the ball, people are travelling less for "smut" either way.

Millenials are <deleted> each other and the incels that would be all over it are afraid or unable to travel to foreign shores.

those that have traditionally flocked to pattaya are ageing fast. 

i have seen an increase this year of friends and friends of friends traveling this way. they are coming for islands like koh phangan, or doing wakepark tours of bkk and phuket. they are all 30-45 and are travelling for lifestyle and activities now and pattaya is not on the radar. 

they want proper massages, good food, beaches, sunsets, hikes etc. 

A good night out involves proper music, cocktails and dinner. Many are vegan, but all are willing to spend on food. the bars may be a curiosity but certainly not a priority. 

10 years ago, people i know might have had a few days in pattaya on the itinerary, but I cant think of a single visitor through my doors that has had plans to go to pattaya for something other than business in the last 5+ years 

many things have changed. Pattaya really hasnt.

So if they built a wake park in Pattaya then a couple of hundred millennials would

rescue the town. By the way you can get a proper massage in Pattaya, good food and

sunsets are available. I can't defend the beaches and have no idea what standard of

hiking would be acceptable to your acquaintances.

When did you last visit Pattaya? I just googled vegan friendly restaurant Pattaya

and 25 plus entries appeared, many do seem to be Indian.

I must admit I do enjoy visiting Pattaya for a week or so, yes I like the bar scene but 

go with my wife (who isn't hi-so!!!) There is plenty to see and do if mongering isn't your

thing, but I like the chaos which contrasts wildly to the calm of rural Ubon.

• Like 1