Before: Pattaya never sleeps! After: Everyone in bed by 11 pm: Resort is dead say Thais

webfact

3 hours ago, darksidedog said:

and they didn't give a damn for temples and nature beauty spots

I don´t think so. As in the yesterday(?) published article written, many tourists come to Pattaya, stay one night, visit the famous Walking Street to take some selfies and leave to the islands. Chinese, if they come by group tours or as individual travelers with family or boy/girlfriend were never good guests in bars and gogos. The western customers don´t come anymore in masses because the high Baht.

• Like 1

You have to say that the authorities have brought this upon themselves. In their desperation to save face and stop anything the slightest bit smutty from going on in town, they destroyed exactly what so many people visited for. People wanting a fun week or two away came here because that was what was on offer, and they didn't give a damn for temples and nature beauty spots, a point obviously missed by the folks that have killed the place.

I am sure the average bar or hotel owner would far prefer it to go back to how it was, rather than go broke in a "family friendly" but empty resort.

2 hours ago, smedly said:

although I highly respect most of your posts and find them to be a good read - you are way off with this one.

Having lived here a very long time I see no evidence of changes of the type you are suggesting.

What has happened however are three fold

- Thailand has become very expensive mostly down to the strength of the baht, people I know that came here on a regular basis are no longer coming.

- the authorities decided to treat western tourists with contempt, they are making it harder and harder for tourists from the west to travel and stay here, so why are they doing this - to my 3rd point

- they have foolishly overestimated the value that tourists from places like India and China bring here, there may be big numbers arriving but what are they doing when they get here - certainly not spending money because they generally don't have much, I see Indians wondering about in groups just looking, they may spend some time in hanging in massage joints looking for cheap relief but that is about the height of it

Thai authorities think that big numbers translate to big revenue - well it doesn't, they have alienated the big spenders who are now going elsewhere - to places were they fell welcomed and treated properly

I think it is a mixture of both of the above!

• Like 2

You have to say that the authorities have brought this upon themselves. In their desperation to save face and stop anything the slightest bit smutty from going on in town, they destroyed exactly what so many people visited for. People wanting a fun week or two away came here because that was what was on offer, and they didn't give a damn for temples and nature beauty spots, a point obviously missed by the folks that have killed the place.

I am sure the average bar or hotel owner would far prefer it to go back to how it was, rather than go broke in a "family friendly" but empty resort.

So maybe not that strange that the streets are empty before midnight as the tourists category who visit Pattaya mainly for the temples and beauty spots goes to bed early with the exception of a few who also wish to spot 2-legs beauties ... :thumbsup:

Edited by ttrd
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

fireworks festival going on now.

all my regular places on Agoda are booked.

Agoda is saying 60% occupancy for the 2 days. 

And you can take a little bit off that.

They always have last rooms etc.

Even when they have more.

And that's just Agoda...

Screenshot_20191129-155857_Agoda.jpg

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Spellforce said:

@KhunBENQ

The problem are the DUI check: 2 beers and you'r done:

- 1st time is just a night soi 9 + a fine in tribunal

- 2nd time and you might be deported and blacklisted ! If you are an expat, you can't no more drive & drink in bars, that's the new rule.

The same in every country. I have heard there are taxis, red buses and Uber in Pattaya. It´s soooo easy to avoid problems. I never ever paid at a check point. I am never drunk, wear my helmet and have my documents with me. Life can be easy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Homburg said:

I used to be a regular visitor to the LOS and fly from Europe several times a year.  Pattaya was exciting.  Fun. The night-time entertainment was attractive. It is all gone.  The only entertainment left in Pattaya is watching the jet-ski scam.

Nowadays I still fly frequently from Europe to S.E. Asia, but mostly I go elsewhere. 

Crazy visa rules and apparently arbitrary decisions by IO's mean that after a couple of entries a year, no matter how short, one is never quite sure if one is to be denied entry, and as a tourist I just don't need that uncertainty.

Thailand has become the "LOC" (Land Of "Cannot") whatever a tourist might want to do to on holiday the answer is always the same: cannot.

I was in Udon Thani, eating in a restaurant.  It was one of the many, many, many "no alcohol" days.  I saw a western couple who were incredulous that they could not have a bottle of wine with their evening meal, like they could almost anywhere else on the planet. Then the BIB drove past and saw a water bottle on my table.  They stopped and came into the restaurant just to make sure that it really was water in the bottle!

I can have far more fun in Europe than in Thailand.

And wristbands? Really? Why not just tattoo all the tourists' arms with a number?

So why would I visit Thailand?

And wristbands? Really? Why not just tattoo all the tourists' arms with a number?

That was tried before, in another place, about 80 years ago if I recall; see how that worked out 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dallen52 said:

Agoda is saying 60% occupancy for the 2 days. 

And you can take a little bit off that.

They always have last rooms etc.

Even when they have more.

And that's just Agoda...

Screenshot_20191129-155857_Agoda.jpg

no its saying 60% of properties are fully booked the other 40% may be 90% full, does not equate to overall 60% occupancy, but much higher 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kingofthemountain said:

Let me fix it for you

All those (DUI) checkpoints have ruined the place for alcoholics expats too stingy to pay a taxi

5 ears ago I've started to take Uber & Grab taxi and most of the time they were not avaible after midnight. The only option was a motorsai and I was frightened to cross Sukhumvit with them... I can drive 1000X better than them after only a few beers.

Because of that problem of transport, I and my friends are no more going to Pattaya at night For that reason, the beer bars have loosed most of their expat customers in low season = less girls, less fun... so I'm not surprise that even in high season the beer bars look dead at 11PM.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, hyku1147 said:

I got a really bad feeling when they started to widen Beach Road.

I figured that the project was poorly planned, but  i had no idea that it was a harbinger of radical change.

Pattaya was the Las Vegas of South East Asia.

Pattaya was once the Las Vegas of S.E.A, the prime word being WAS. You can only flog a dead horse for so long!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

How can this be possible when TAT just upgraded their forecast for visitors this year to 85 million? Clearly, these pictures showing nobody in Pattaya must be photoshopped! Stop press, the tourism ministry has just announced that arrivals in 2019 are now expected to be over 90 million.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

They don't say that at all!

Agoda is only talking about their room allocation "60% of OUR properties".

Which is probably around 5% of the available rooms in Pattaya or less.

When you change their words, you change the meaning ........... poor comprehension skills on your part.

Thats quiet right Booking.com is saying my friends hotel is full but it's only their allocation of rooms that are full I go there often it's doing ok but not full

• Thanks 2