Thai Tourism: "Half of foreigners" don't pay their hospital bills; director points finger at three nationalities

webfact

well worth repeating, my mate caught denghi fever , 3 days in the exortionate, Bangkok Pattaya hospital, i had to break into his room to get his credit cards before they would let him leave, i smell <deleted>, oh he was fully insured, they wanted to see the money. (got a full refund on his return) so i cant see the dam problem with all of thes tourists, *oh its not going to happen to me syndrome* Thailand is number one for road traffic accidents i bet 99% of these hospital visits was vehicle/highway related, would be interesting for a stat on this

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

you do understand hatred and dislike are entirely different words with much different meanings?

Not if you wish a permanent, never to be recovered from, economic downturn on them all. In Disney terms that would be "A curse upon you all" 

32 minutes ago, sirineou said:

the OP is that according to the official statistics the average per turist cost to Thailand is about 12 bht.

12 BHT  IMO enough said. 

I am not sure what the point is here. 12 baht per tourist. Not trying to be argumentative or ignorant but I simply do not understand wht point you are making. OK 12 baht per tourist. It is still money lost by the individual hospital. They can't look at the loss and say well its only 12 baht per tourist can they? There is a total amount of money, and its lost to them. Are you saying that Thailand should charge every tourist at minimum 12 baht and then form a pool of money to pay back any hospital that suffered a loss? I suppose that is doable but that sort of leaves the door open for a whole lot of corruption and greed, that's what happens when there is a big pool of money to be drawn out of - happens in any country. But maybe I am misunderstanding your overall point regarding 12 baht. Again not trying to be argumentative I just do not understand what you mean.

Edited by WalkingOrders
spelling
  • Like 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Eligius said:

I simply do not believe the claims. No way are 50% of tourists doing a runner from hospitals without paying their bills. This is a ludicrous claim.

Like so many things in Thailand (officialdom), these are utterly unbelievable figures conjured out of thin air - and always aimed at raking in more money.

of course it can't be true, The numbers don't lie.

448,000,000 baht unpaid bills 2019n

39,000,000 tourists  2019

Average cost per tourist= 11.4 BHT

so if half the tourists did not pay their bills it would mean that the average bill was 22.8 bht which of course is ridiculous.

Obviously they meant that half the tourists that visit the hospitals don't pay their bill.  

Which of course can be significant to the individual hospitals but not to the Thai economy. so  compensate the hospitals, and a simple surcharge the tourists of 12 bht  (perhaps 12 bht higher visa cost )  that would go totally unnoticed  would cover the costs. , Or just eat it as a cost of doing business.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, WalkingOrders said:

I am not sure what the point is here. 12 baht per tourist. Not trying to be argumentative or ignorant but I simply do not understand wht point you are making. OK 12 baht per tourist. It is still money lost by the individual hospital. They can't look at the loss and say well its only 12 baht per tourist can they? There is a total amount of money, and its lost to them. Are you saying that Thailand should charge every tourist at minimum 12 baht and then form a pool of money to pay back any hospital that suffered a loss? I suppose that is doable but that sort of leaves the door open for a whole lot of corruption and greed, that's what happens when there is a big pool of money to be drawn out of - happens in any country. But maybe I am misunderstanding your overall point regarding 12 baht. Again not trying to be argumentative I just do not understand what you mean.

I addressed that point in the last paragraph of the above reply

Edited by sirineou
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Result = almost no tourists.

I do wonder how the 9,000 foreigners treated over the last year causes 448 Million in bills to be unpaid.

Even if we're talking 10x the normal billing for foreigners.

Read again – they are two separate statements, the first referring to the entire health system and the second a single hospital

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ravip said:

Do you suggest free medical treatment for all tourists/foreigners? Could you please name any other country that does this? Tourists to the West needs insurance...

Australia used to until they woke up, also you could sign on the dole and get paid.

Edited by heybuz
Misspelled

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Vachira Hospital, the largest in Phuket, treated 9,000 foreigners over the last year. Most of them were Russian, Chinese and French, said hospital director Dr Chalermpong Sukhonthaphon.

communist countries with "free" medical care. it must really suck to be from Russia, or China or to be poor in France ????

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

That's an average of 50,000 baht for each foreigner. Land of Lies?

I had a chat with a Thai doctor from Sapphasit/Ubon R, but he said something totally different.

The majority were from neighboring countries like Cambodia, Laos and Myanmar. 

A visit to the ER and maybe a couple of nights in a private ward + consultation fees + medications + a couple of outpatient visits and Bam!... there's your 50 k baht hospital bill easy.

Ubon would see more local migrant workers than Phuket but maybe not too many exotic, water sports related or otherwise serious injuries?

The Lao contingent that pops over for treatment at the two main private hospitals in Udon have more issues parking their Lexus's, Ferrari's, Range Rovers and Denali's than paying their hospital bills.

• Like 1

Increase taxes by 1% in tourist places and that extra 1% can go into a hospital slush funds to cover any short falls.

We all know there are a hell of a lot of people making a good keep from tourism, so perhaps they can fork out that 1% on top of the kickbacks they already provide to others to turn their heads the other way, nudge nudge, wink wink.

I think if Thailand thinks that by making tourists take out necessary insurance, which should be a worldwide thing, i.e. it should be mandatory worldwide that anyone traveling has travel insurance otherwise they don't get off the ground to wherever they are going, but if they go it alone, that 2 to 2.5 mil or so dollars they are thinking they are going to recover, is gonna cost them far more than that.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, hkt83100 said:

Don't forget that everybody preaching the country is paying a departure tax of 500 Baht (or had it gone up?), which is filling the koffers quite well. Years ago you had to pay extra at the airport, now it is included inn the price of the ticket. Where are these billions going to? ????

This was the airport tax of 500฿ to pay in cash only before departure. Now 700฿ are included in every international flight ticket. It took long for this third world country to catch up with international standards.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1