Thai Tourism: "Half of foreigners" don't pay their hospital bills; director points finger at three nationalities

webfact

15 hours ago, webfact said:

From October 2018 to September 2019 448 million in bills went unpaid.

39  million tourists divide  by said  amount = 11  baht per  tourist OMG imagine  how much is  lost in CORRUPTION each year and they fret over 11  baht a tourist.................insert expletive here

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, webfact said:

From October 2018 to September 2019 448 million in bills went unpaid.

39  million tourists divide  by said  amount = 11  baht per  tourist OMG imagine  how much is  lost in CORRUPTION each year and they fret over 11  baht a tourist.................insert expletive here

13 hours ago, Is this real said:

The hospitals aren't losing money.  They've inflated all the charges made to non-Thais who can pay or have insurance that will.

The story of losing money on non-payers is told world wide.  Most is just plain bull.

I disagree. The government hospital extracting 2 teeth for what, (like 650 THB with meds and an xray included) cannot possible break even. The whole operation (buildings, staff, admin, nurses, painkillers, the dentist's salary and the equipment needs to be paid)! 

The true cost will be double or triple, JMHO.

But then, they could and should ask for an advance payment and settle up later. 

10 hours ago, el jefe said:

I traveled through 13 European countries in the past year. Only one required travel insurance -- Belarus.
Please tell us which other European countries require tourists to have travel insurance and how do they check?

Germaney - (unless it's one of the undocumented Merkel Guests), they make it part of the VISA process AFAIKb

10 hours ago, el jefe said:

I traveled through 13 European countries in the past year. Only one required travel insurance -- Belarus.
Please tell us which other European countries require tourists to have travel insurance and how do they check?

My wife needs to show travelinsurance for the schengen visa or she won't get the visa.

• Like 1

Last week two Chinese tourists died in a hospital after drowning in the Phuket surf, conveniently free of lifeguards thanks to the Phuket Province Government,.. A German was run over by para sail boat and chopped to death, again on Phuket.

I'm thinking they did not pay medical costs and their extended family may not either.  ????   Call me a cynic.

• Like 1

This seems to say every on average each and every tourist has 10 billable hospital visits when they come to the country that is not paid. Plus one there are hospital visits from those that do pay. No wonder the hospitals are so busy.

5 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

Last week two Chinese tourists died in a hospital after drowning in the Phuket surf, conveniently free of lifeguards thanks to the Phuket Province Government,.. A German was run over by para sail boat and chopped to death, again on Phuket.

I'm thinking they did not pay medical costs and their extended family may not either.  ????   Call me a cynic.

I know somebody lying there in the fridge dead until the embassy get their ass into gear over what to do with the body 300 Baht a day rent

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, alant said:

No wonder the hospitals are so busy.

Not all, I went to Phuket International yesterday it was dead and I had to go to a couple of different departments and quiet a walk between them the place was empty

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, car720 said:

When I owned travel agencies we were being paid 40% commission.  They rarely pay.

Who? rarely pay you get 40% commission from the hospital you mean?

Edited by ChipButty

17 hours ago, darksidedog said:

While I agree wholeheartedly that anyone who uses a hospital should pay their bill, I think a major point is being overlooked. Tourism generates billions of dollars for the economy. Tourism is also by all accounts other than TAT in sharp decline. That number may well reduce further if every tourist has to pay out for an insurance policy, which may or may not cover problems they encounter. Maybe they should weigh the 448 million baht against the potential tens of billions they might lose.

There is so much wrong with your logic.

So you are saying: Thailand makes a lot of money from tourism therefor they shouldn't complain when people don't pay their hospital bills. If you let them pay their bills they might not come to Thailand anymore.

I honestly expected more common sense from a moderator. Unbelievable.

Edited by Nickymaster
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, melvinmelvin said:

??? travel insurance compulsary in Europe ???

It is for a Thai traveling the EU. Just went through it with my wife when we made a trip to Portugal and Spain. They have to have PROOF of €30,000 worth of insurance.