Thais need to drink more milk, says DFPOT

webfact

Thais need to drink more milk, says DFPOT

By THE NATION

800_2151b4f589f59a8.jpg?v=1575012780

Mananya Thaiset and Narongrit Wongsuwan

The Dairy Farming Promotion Organisation of Thailand (DFPOT) is to organise the “Thai-Denmark Milksic Festival 2019” on December 15 at Lan Nern Noom in Chiang Mai to encourage people to drink more milk, Mananya Thaiset, Deputy Minister of Agriculture and Cooperatives, said this week.

“The event will be held in other regions of Thailand in the future, aiming to persuade new-gen people to drink a lot of milk and secure the customer base of the Thai-Denmark brand” she said. “The brand’s target is everyone between the ages of 13 and 53 who want quality health products that meet their needs.

The event is expected to help the Thai-Denmark state enterprise earn revenue by expanding the market as well as preventing an oversupply of milk in the future. It is also in line with the government’s policy to encourage people to take care of their health.

“Statistics show that Thais consume only18 litres of milk a year, which is much lower than the 25 litres per year recommended by the World Health Organisation (WHO)” added Mananya. “On average, global consumption of milk is nearly 113 litres per person per year”.

DFPOT director, Narongrit Wongsuwan, said that his agency is also aiming to increase consumption up to the recommended level by 2026. “It will also play an important role in improving the Thai dairy industry,” he said. The upcoming festival is also aiming to change the mindset that drinking milk is old fashioned. 

Manaya stressed the importance of helping dairy farmers adapt to the opening of a free trade area (FTA) in the future. “The FTA will affect the Thai dairy industry and also milk products” she said. “We need to prepare now.”

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30378894

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-11-29

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I've heard that cows milk is not good for adults. For kids...maybe.

The other thing was that a friend's girlfriend (in Europe) had breast cancer at young age (around 30) and one of the doctors told him that the breast cancer rate in Asia was much lower compared to other countries due to the non- or very little consumption of milk (-products). I just had a look on statistics and it seems that the classical "milk lands" do have the highest rates

I had a cancer-tumor in my right bronchus that also effected some part of the right lung parts recently removed and I am getting chemotherapy now and I have to use milk products and other foods to fight the side effect of the chemotherapy, So I don't think it's unhealthy too drink milk

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Thais need to drink more milk

Someone has apparently already seen the potential increased demand for milk in Thailand. One Thai milk producer made a substantial purchase/investment nearly two years ago in a milk factory in Tasmania, Australia. 

The Dutch Mill group of Thailand made the purchase of the UHT factory in the lush dairy country in the North West of Tasmania. 

The story says that the Dutch Mill Group has a daily reach of 30 million customers across Asia.

https://www.weeklytimesnow.com.au/news/tasmanian-country/murray-goulburn-sale-lifeline-for-milk-factory/news-story/cd3c4d9dc2251eccfa306abd4605fcb7

I think raw milk is healthy if you are not overweight, not diabetic, not lactose intolerant and are not following a low carb diet. 

Basically Thai should drink as little milk as possible: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/15822548/ (This study sample size is too small to be relevant but I've seen estimate that up to 70-100% of east Asian are lactose intolerant: https://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/lactose-intolerance#statistics). 

2 hours ago, pikao said:

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I've heard that cows milk is not good for adults. For kids...maybe.

The other thing was that a friend's girlfriend (in Europe) had breast cancer at young age (around 30) and one of the doctors told him that the breast cancer rate in Asia was much lower compared to other countries due to the non- or very little consumption of milk (-products). I just had a look on statistics and it seems that the classical "milk lands" do have the highest rates

Correlation is not causation. Much like a horse is a four-legged beast, while not all four-legged beasts are horses????. Even though the Thai language seems to suggest that the first Thai who ever saw a horse said “that’s a big dog”. Not on topic. Sorry. 

3 hours ago, pikao said:

breast cancer may not be due to milk consumption,

diabetes is much higher among asians but theres no ground

for claiming its down to milk consumption.

i think however there is ground to state that thais are only half the length

of your typical westerner due to milk deficiency while they

were suppose to grow, and the meat deficit also highly likely

the reason they are not muscular

10 minutes ago, brokenbone said:

breast cancer may not be due to milk consumption,

diabetes is much higher among asians but theres no ground

for claiming its down to milk consumption.

i think however there is ground to state that thais are only half the length

of your typical westerner due to milk deficiency while they

were suppose to grow, and the meat deficit also highly likely

the reason they are not muscular

I have no idea if milk cause diabete but it's very high in carbohydrates which spike insuline and would exacerbate type 2 diabete. 

2 hours ago, MRToMRT said:

That WHO "fact" may need looking into as I understood that no healthy human being needs to consume any dairy product. I bet its a misquote.

Right - "Thais need to have more mucous - says DOPFT"

Dairy products are probably THE highest mucous forming foods and should be avoided like the plague.  I grew up on milk and dairy products and had constant colds, flu, runny nose, bronchitis and many other symptoms which can now be attributed to consumption of milk and dairy products (milk and chocolate milk, cheeses, yogurt, sour cream, cottage cheese, kefer, butter, canned condensed milk, powdered milk etc).

On top of that all dairy products are pasteurized now (no longer raw) so it is much worse for you now than it was in my childhood days.

3 hours ago, pikao said:

Consider yourself corrected. Cowmilk is perfectly fine to consume for adults, provided they have the so called milk-gen. Unfortunately this is only the case for 1/3 of the world population, mainly in Western Europe. For most Thai it would therefore not be advisable to consume milk.

As to cancer: milk has nothing to do with it, there is no scientific base for this assumption.

1 minute ago, MeePeeMai said:

Right - "Thais need to have more mucous - says DOPFT"

Dairy products are probably THE highest mucous forming foods and should be avoided like the plague.  I grew up on milk and dairy products and had constant colds, flu, runny nose, bronchitis and many other symptoms which can now be attributed to consumption of milk and dairy products (milk and chocolate milk, cheeses, yogurt, sour cream, cottage cheese, kefer, butter, canned condensed milk, powdered milk etc).

On top of that all dairy products are pasteurized now (no longer raw) so it is much worse for you now than it was in my childhood days.

So sorry you do not have the milk gene like us Europeans. We love it, along with cheese, and thrive on it. It is the main reason why I can walk around Thailand, looking smilingly down on all those tiny Thai.

8 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

I have no idea if milk cause diabete but it's very high in carbohydrates which spike insuline and would exacerbate type 2 diabete. 

You better cut down on your fruit, grain and vegetables too then, all high in carbohydrates......

" The Dairy Farming Promotion Organisation of Thailand (DFPOT)"

That says it all right there, it's all about revenue and increasing their profits.  Same as the "Dairy Farmers of America" Institute which advertises that "milk, does a body good".  It's all about profits   $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$  regardless of the health consequences.

It is pretty obvious that this is a 100% marketing ploy. All about money. 

No where In the WHO Healthy Diet recommendations does it say drink the milk from another animal. 

https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/healthy-diet

I just don’t get it. It is always about money. 
every where. 

Archived