Western Food Frozen Or Not.

NoshowJones

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Anyone know if western food, ie pork, pork mince, and chicken

Since when has the above been "western food"?

Anyway, so long as it has not reached temperatures above 4c it is fine to be re frozen.

How would you know anyway? Best bet is to pop in at opening time and check for yourself.

Alternatively buy from the local market. Probably the freshest meat you can buy. Slaughtered, generally, at about 1am and on sale by 5am.

36 minutes ago, puchooay said:

Anyway, so long as it has not reached temperatures above 4c it is fine to be re frozen.

How would you know anyway? Best bet is to pop in at opening time and check for yourself.

Alternatively buy from the local market. Probably the freshest meat you can buy. Slaughtered, generally, at about 1am and on sale by 5am.

I love the pork mince, but a friend told me that in the markets, all the leftovers are put in with the mince and I have not bought any from the local market since.

32 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I love the pork mince, but a friend told me that in the markets, all the leftovers are put in with the mince and I have not bought any from the local market since.

Then, quite simply, choose a piece of pork and ask the vendor to mince it for you.

Do Tesco, BigC and the likes not mince "leftovers" too?

You can tell old meat by its color. Ground pork will be bright red , the good stuff that's is and chicken will be pink. The chicken starts to turn yellow , easy to spot and they mix a lot of fat with the old pork.

both can be frozen after purchase but freezing changes the taste. Buy fresh and cook it.

I uses to buy what I thought was fresh minced pork from the local market, but was getting less lean and more fatty.. Then I saw them replenish some stock which was partially frozen and thawing out.. Not fresh after all.. Tasted horrible for spag bol with all the fat in it, and before I realised it had actually been previously frozen, and then I would freeze some at home, resulting in the trots occasionally.. 

I now buy in bulk from Tops, fresh and lean, and I think 130bht a kilo.. 

Freezing it at home now no issue.. The difference in quality.. At Big C I've been tempted to buy their pork mince, but never looks as good as from Tops.. 

I've had no problem buying food that has been frozen, thawed and then refrozen at home. When I say thawed I mean becoming unfrozen on the way home from the shops, not thawed for a few hours to room temperature.

It used to be a no no decades ago when the refreezing process could take many hours allowing for bacterial growth but is not an issue these days in my opinion, as long as you have decent freezer and not a fridge with  a small freezer compartment behind a plastic door.

the traditional market is best for fresh meat...at our market the vendors each have their pork offering on display on a big counter and you select what you want and the amount and they grind it on the spot if desired...

the hogs are slaughtered early a.m. and usually at the market before 5 a.m. and you can see the dudes carrying the sides of pork from the truck to the 'wholesale' area...the local abattoir isn't far from our house and you can hear them go about their business with the grisly squealing of the hogs being slaughtered and all...good 'n fresh...

20 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Isn't that the purpose of minced meats? Use up the leftovers, no waste? Anyway we buy all our meats from the local markets or sometimes from the mobile butcher's shop and it's all very good quality. Never had a complaint yet.

22 hours ago, possum1931 said:

WG Danson what is so confusing about wanting to know if something is safe to freeze?

Sometimes you reply sensibly to posts and other times I just don't know how to take you.

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

Isn't that the purpose of minced meats? Use up the leftovers, no waste? Anyway we buy all our meats from the local markets or sometimes from the mobile butcher's shop and it's all very good quality. Never had a complaint yet.

Completely incorrect. Mincing is done for specific uses, not to disguise leftovers. But go ahead and buy the cheapest you can find, it's your prerogative.  

On 11/29/2019 at 3:55 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Some is frozen, some is chilled, and if your are lucky they have a label and that is true.

Assume the worst.

You know the quality once you've cooked it. If no good then don't buy from there again. Makro have a very wide choice of frozen imported and also two grades of fresh. Quality varies. 

2 hours ago, tutsiwarrior said:

the traditional market is best for fresh meat...at our market the vendors each have their pork offering on display on a big counter and you select what you want and the amount and they grind it on the spot if desired...

the hogs are slaughtered early a.m. and usually at the market before 5 a.m. and you can see the dudes carrying the sides of pork from the truck to the 'wholesale' area...the local abattoir isn't far from our house and you can hear them go about their business with the grisly squealing of the hogs being slaughtered and all...good 'n fresh...

That sounds wonderful. 

Maybe this is not done in all butcher shops, in Thailand or elsewhere, but the meat is chopped on request and with your chosen pieces.
It's true, too, that butchers or healers take all the leftovers for mincing, for stuffed vegetables (tomatoes, peppers, eggplants or vegetable-based dishes)
But that can not be verified.

Bizarre, post 12, because the meat whose beast has just been killed, can not be eaten the same day, you have to let it rest, at least 2 or 3 days (especially for pigs, oxen, sheep .. .)
Now, why not.
I do not know Thai method.
On the other hand, in the markets, I saw flies and they were fresh.

3 hours ago, tutsiwarrior said:

As long as the flies sit on the meat it is a good sign that they did not use chemicals to keep it fresh. ????

4 hours ago, Moonlover said:
On 11/29/2019 at 6:52 PM, possum1931 said:

2 hours ago, Speedhump said:
4 hours ago, Moonlover said:

2 hours ago, Speedhump said:

Completely incorrect. Mincing is done for specific uses, not to disguise leftovers. But go ahead and buy the cheapest you can find, it's your prerogative.  

In the Haute cuisine world you are undoubtedly correct, but @possum1931 is talking about local markets and the traders therein.

Where there is poverty, nothing goes to waste and it would not surprise me at all if cheap off cuts and leftovers  are ground down into mince to enable the poor folk, to be able to buy at least some meat, no matter what the quality.

We don't buy it, neither do we seek out the cheapest we can find. My wife has a very good nose for finding the best value whilst preserving quality. And I have no complains about the end result. We eat very well.

On 11/29/2019 at 6:57 PM, possum1931 said:

WG Danson what is so confusing about wanting to know if something is safe to freeze?

Sometimes you reply sensibly to posts and other times I just don't know how to take you.

How would 'anyone' posting on TV know whether the meat at Tesco, Big C etc has been previously frozen. That's what I was confused about. Sorry Possum luv!

43 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Where there is poverty, nothing goes to waste and it would not surprise me at all if cheap off cuts and leftovers  are ground down into mince to enable the poor folk, to be able to buy at least some meat, no matter what the quality.

Richmond sausages in the UK are no different.  Offcuts and offal abound which includes pigs ears, brains, entrails and all sorts of vulgarities.  You pay for what you get.  

On 11/29/2019 at 6:13 PM, puchooay said:

yes, meat that stays in the heat for hours until someone buys it ! Are you for fun ?

On 11/30/2019 at 5:57 PM, gamesgplayemail said:

yes, meat that stays in the heat for hours until someone buys it ! Are you for fun ?

If you read my post, you will see I talk about going to buy at opening time.

Get to the market at around 6 to 7am and enjoy the freshest meat you are ever likely to buy.

On 11/30/2019 at 1:23 PM, Moonlover said:

Doubtful.

Go to the market and look at the prices. Minced pork is much the same price as a fillet of pork.

On 11/29/2019 at 6:52 PM, possum1931 said:

My wife just buys the pork and chops it into mince at home.

My wife is a great cook, she can even fix big bikes, knows how to deal with idiots from other countries and she was only watching me once making some Wiener Schnitzel and now she knows how to cook almost all Western dishes.

OP, you've got internet. You obviously know how to Google. Get some recipes and give it a try. You'll be surprised how easy it is to make decent and fresh food.

35 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

My wife is a great cook, she can even fix big bikes, knows how to deal with idiots from other countries and she was only watching me once making some Wiener Schnitzel and now she knows how to cook almost all Western dishes.

Are we married to the same lady?

Archived