Western Food Frozen Or Not.

NoshowJones

On 11/30/2019 at 6:32 PM, sirocco said:

Bizarre, post 12, because the meat whose beast has just been killed, can not be eaten the same day, you have to let it rest, at least 2 or 3 days (especially for pigs, oxen, sheep .. .)
Now, why not.
I do not know Thai method.
On the other hand, in the markets, I saw flies and they were fresh.

Well, I can tell you my Thai wife's preference. She likes to buy in the morning from a traveling butcher than comes around 3 or 4 times a week. The meat is fresh every morning and she cooks it the very same day. I certainly have no complaints.

Flies are of no consequence on the meat, cooking kills off any contamination that they leave. This is just another example of western fussiness. 

12 hours ago, puchooay said:
On 11/30/2019 at 8:23 PM, Moonlover said:

Where there is poverty, nothing goes to waste and it would not surprise me at all if cheap off cuts and leftovers  are ground down into mince to enable the poor folk, to be able to buy at least some meat, no matter what the quality.

12 hours ago, puchooay said:

Doubtful.

Go to the market and look at the prices. Minced pork is much the same price as a fillet of pork.

That is not the mince that @possum1931 was referring to in post #4. Go to any village function, where mass catering is involved. There you will be served up dishes that have minced meats, usually pork, that contain a lot of fat and grizzle. That's the mince that gets sold off cheap.

2 hours ago, Moonlover said:

That is not the mince that @possum1931 was referring to in post #4. Go to any village function, where mass catering is involved. There you will be served up dishes that have minced meats, usually pork, that contain a lot of fat and grizzle. That's the mince that gets sold off cheap

Bearing in mind that meat near to the bone or the skin and fat is the most popular in Thailand, just look at the difference in price of pork belly and pork fillet or 3 bone wing and breast of chicken, it's no wonder they like mince with fat

The cheap mince would more likely be from fillet or loin. The parts that Thais generally leave until last.

On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 6:52 AM, possum1931 said:

I love the pork mince, but a friend told me that in the markets, all the leftovers are put in with the mince and I have not bought any from the local market since.

My understanding is that your friend is correct, including any that falls on the floor; just toss it in with the sausage meat.

Enjoy.

2 hours ago, sirocco said:

Ah! to each to cook according to his method, with stale meat of the day or embellished with flies and worms that go with it.
We get used to everything.

Which 'stale meat of the day or embellished with flies and worms' are you referring to? I think it's been emphasized enough times throughout this thread that meat from the markets is the freshest you'll find anywhere.

Were is it that you have encountered otherwise?

Oh! Moonlower, no need to excite you.
Well, I do not send my wife or my man to the market.
I do it myself.
Hey! yes fresh meat, I know.
The one with flies and worms too.
That mixed with water and formalin, too.
Then, stop eating raging meat too.
No hard feelings from me, for you, each his plate.

2 hours ago, puchooay said:

Bearing in mind that meat near to the bone or the skin and fat is the most popular in Thailand, just look at the difference in price of pork belly and pork fillet or 3 bone wing and breast of chicken, it's no wonder they like mince with fat

The cheap mince would more likely be from fillet or loin. The parts that Thais generally leave until last.

My wife's sister's family have a smallholding and raise a few pigs. When one is ready for slaughter along comes the butcher. He does the business, purchases the prime marketable meat and the family are left with the ears, trotters, skin and the less desirable fatty and bony parts of the pig.

And that's what they eat and regard it as a special treat. Amongst the poorer of the Thai community it is an economic decision, not a cultural one to eat, what we in the west would regard as the 'leftovers'.

1 hour ago, sirocco said:

Oh! Moonlower, no need to excite you.
Well, I do not send my wife or my man to the market.
I do it myself.
Hey! yes fresh meat, I know.
The one with flies and worms too.
That mixed with water and formalin, too.
Then, stop eating raging meat too.
No hard feelings from me, for you, each his plate.

I do not send my wife to market either. We go together so I see, first hand what I'll be eating later.

And rest of what you say is complete and utter rubbish!

On 12/3/2019 at 5:45 AM, Moonlover said:

My wife's sister's family have a smallholding and raise a few pigs. When one is ready for slaughter along comes the butcher. He does the business, purchases the prime marketable meat and the family are left with the ears, trotters, skin and the less desirable fatty and bony parts of the pig.

And that's what they eat and regard it as a special treat. Amongst the poorer of the Thai community it is an economic decision, not a cultural one to eat, what we in the west would regard as the 'leftovers'.

If that is so, how can these parts be in the mince in the market or functions? Surely, if the butcher does not buy them, he cannot sell them either. All of the "leftovers" are being eaten at the homes of the farmers.

On 12/2/2019 at 7:41 PM, Isaanbiker said:

My wife is a great cook, she can even fix big bikes, knows how to deal with idiots from other countries and she was only watching me once making some Wiener Schnitzel and now she knows how to cook almost all Western dishes.

OP, you've got internet. You obviously know how to Google. Get some recipes and give it a try. You'll be surprised how easy it is to make decent and fresh food.

Yes it's very famous around how much Thai are genius !

Archived