Is Villa the only grocer that carries fancy Western foods?

Hal65

At Villa I recently saw: red miso, Beyond burgers, vegan yogurt, cheese, sausages, a cauliflower cheese mix I've never seen before, nutritional yeast, and more.

Foodland had nothing special over a place like big C. Except pizza crusts. That was about it.

Tops seems close to Foodland in that regard.

Just curious if Villa is known as the "luxury Western item" grocer in Thailand. Only other place I've seen with interesting Western items is the grocer in Central Festival (They have gluten and also a lot of hard to find items).

EDIT: I should clarify: Foodland and all the others have stuff like Potato chips. But not niche products like miso and similar.

Although it is readable from your profile and the OP:

you should add that you refer to Pattaya. And BigC refers to BigC Extra?

Bet that there is more to find in Bangkok.

A couple of your keywords are far from my interest and didn't I promise myself not to post in food threads in an Anglo/American forum :biggrin:

There are plenty of high end supermarkets selling niche products in the malls in Bangkok: the supermarket in Paragon, the one in ICONSIAM, any TOPS or Central Food halls and of course Villa Market and Foodland. In Chiang Mai there is the RimPing supermarket chain that sells loads of Western and niche products, doubtless similar in most cities.

13 minutes ago, saengd said:

supermarket in Paragon

I was quite impressed about it.

Where else do you find Pata Negra?

Was it 5000 Baht per 100 gr. :ohmy:

Not sure. I went on.

Ah, and the olive oil from a family manufactur.

0.25 liter bottle sealed with wax for 10500 Baht in a locked glass show case.

1 hour ago, saengd said:

There are plenty of high end supermarkets selling niche products in the malls in Bangkok: the supermarket in Paragon, the one in ICONSIAM, any TOPS or Central Food halls and of course Villa Market and Foodland. In Chiang Mai there is the RimPing supermarket chain that sells loads of Western and niche products, doubtless similar in most cities.

Spot on.  All very expensive but you can mix it up and take you choice between the available shops.  You forgot Makro for the quality beef imports and suchlike.  Dismiss Makro for the odds and ends at your peril.  

6 hours ago, torturedsole said:

Spot on.  All very expensive but you can mix it up and take you choice between the available shops.  You forgot Makro for the quality beef imports and suchlike.  Dismiss Makro for the odds and ends at your peril.  

makro has 3 kinds of brown miso...

Archived