Do I feel safe in Thailand?

Europeanguy

Do you feel safe in Thailand?  

192 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Yes.

I live 10 km outside Udon Thani, rural Thailand, bulls passing everyday past my gate to graze . People very welcoming.

Is London where I used to live better? See this. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-50604781

Places like Phuket and Pattaya, please give me a break.

I am very happy in Thailand unlike many people on this site who likes to denigrate. I feel sorry for them.

B

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel safe in Thailand, generally. I am someone who avoids trouble so at the slightest sign that something is up or someone is "off", I get out of there / make my excuses and disappear.

The worry for me in Thailand is what happens if something does go wrong. Perhaps not a safety issue per se, but let's say you're hit by an out of control vehicle. Will you be attended to by a professional ambulance crew....or perhaps hauled in to the nearest pickup truck by a bunch of well-meaning motorbike taxi riders? And what happens if you find yourself in a situation where you need a lawyer? So many horror stories fill me with dread at the prospect of feeling like I needed the help of a Thai lawyer. I do everything I can to avoid these sorts of situations in Thailand.

i think the key for me to feeling safe in Thailand is to avoid anything that could be unsafe / become a problem later.

45 minutes ago, mstevens said:

I feel safe in Thailand, generally. I am someone who avoids trouble so at the slightest sign that something is up or someone is "off", I get out of there / make my excuses and disappear.

The worry for me in Thailand is what happens if something does go wrong. Perhaps not a safety issue per se, but let's say you're hit by an out of control vehicle. Will you be attended to by a professional ambulance crew....or perhaps hauled in to the nearest pickup truck by a bunch of well-meaning motorbike taxi riders? And what happens if you find yourself in a situation where you need a lawyer? So many horror stories fill me with dread at the prospect of feeling like I needed the help of a Thai lawyer. I do everything I can to avoid these sorts of situations in Thailand.

i think the key for me to feeling safe in Thailand is to avoid anything that could be unsafe / become a problem later.

Do you really feel that way ?

No malice intended but feels like your walking around on egg shells.

Regarding the OP, never really think about safety unless at work.

I don't think Thailand is any different to most countries, just act and think like you would at home and you'll be ok, unless you're a <deleted>

I ride a motorbike everywhere i go in BKK, i also happen to wear, or used to, expensive gold neck bracelet and an expensive watch, until i realized that i might acting carelessly and leaving myself to unnecessary attention and bed outcome, other than that no safety issues at all, but again, being prudent goes along way towards minising hassles in life... 

1 hour ago, ezzra said:

I ride a motorbike everywhere i go in BKK, i also happen to wear, or used to, expensive gold neck bracelet and an expensive watch, until i realized that i might acting carelessly and leaving myself to unnecessary attention and bed outcome, other than that no safety issues at all, but again, being prudent goes along way towards minising hassles in life... 

"...leaving myself to unnecessary attention and bed outcome..."

What's wrong with "bed outcome" ? That seems to be the outcome that many farangs are looking for in Thailand. You must be different.

5 hours ago, Europeanguy said:

Yes.

I live 10 km outside Udon Thani, rural Thailand, bulls passing everyday past my gate to graze . People very welcoming.

Is London where I used to live better? See this. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-50604781

Places like Phuket and Pattaya, please give me a break.

I am very happy in Thailand unlike many people on this site who likes to denigrate. I feel sorry for them.

You're very welcome to come for a break in Phuket where I live in complete safety.

It must get very boring up there with the cattle.

It depends upon how you mean safe:

With regards to personal safety, confrontational crime, attacks etc - Yes, I feel perfectly safe. 

Its easy to avoid any trouble by not being dumb and getting into arguments etc or making a complete tool out of yourself in public. 

Confrontational crime such as muggings etc is rare in Thailand, yes there are handbag snatches etc but the stories of being robbed at knifepoint on the streets are completely rare compared to other countries. 

With regards to general safety: I feel less safe. 

i.e. getting electrocuted walking through a puddle in the street, a wall crashing down etc in some poorly constructed building, some unsecured rebar flying through my rear-view window, getting hit by a truck or bus with 'brake failure', being in a taxi at night (drunk driver) etc etc... there are a myriad of ways in which Thailand is extremely unsafe and I feel unsafe and have to balance that. 

So... For personal safety due to confrontation - I feel perfectly safe. 

for other 'inadvertent risks' - I feel less safe.

Parts of Mae Sot are pretty sketchy per say. There's a slum near downtown I avoid the best I can. 

Ironically enough though I got robbed in Myawaddy my third time there but the only issues I've ever seen generally involve drunk tourists getting themselves in <deleted>, Pattaya and Phuket come to mind 

After 30 years living in Chiang Mai and traveling all over Thailand there has only been one incident, in my first year when I was out in the wee hours totally drunk and I challenged a group of Thais who were harassing the (farang) girl I was with. Totally foolish of me and completely out of character. Very lucky that it didn't turn to blows.

If you frequent the bars in a drunken state you are a danger to yourself and to others.

I stopped drinking many years ago and now I avoid areas where there are likely to be drunks.

I feel completely safe in Thailand.

7 hours ago, Old Croc said:

You're very welcome to come for a break in Phuket where I live in complete safety.

It must get very boring up there with the cattle.

Not only cattle. Birds everywhere - sometimes in huge flocks migrating - lovely spectacle, frogs so loud you wonder if the 3rd world war has started, a few snakes which only wants to keep away from you (apparently the way people get bitten is when they try to kill the snake), gekos who behave the same, stray dogs which are more afraid of me than I am of them, chickens who enjoy the thrill of running in front of my car. I even had a swarm of bees who allowed themselves a rest for 3 days, just staying put in a tree then disappeared one morning. I attach a picture. I will not give all that up for Bangkok or Phuket, I can get all they offer here. So I really do not need a break in Phuket or similar places. Very happy in Udon Thani.

Swarm of bees.jpg

It depends on what type of safety you are referring to. As far as safety from being robbed or attacked it is the safest country I have ever lived in, and I have lived here for almost 40 years. However, when it comes to safety, meaning a feeling of security from immigration and police extortion, I feel extremely vulnerable ???? I think it is a sad state of affairs when any foreigner realizes that he has no rights whatsoever in a country.

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

It depends upon how you mean safe:

With regards to personal safety, confrontational crime, attacks etc - Yes, I feel perfectly safe. 

Its easy to avoid any trouble by not being dumb and getting into arguments etc or making a complete tool out of yourself in public. 

Confrontational crime such as muggings etc is rare in Thailand, yes there are handbag snatches etc but the stories of being robbed at knifepoint on the streets are completely rare compared to other countries. 

With regards to general safety: I feel less safe. 

i.e. getting electrocuted walking through a puddle in the street, a wall crashing down etc in some poorly constructed building, some unsecured rebar flying through my rear-view window, getting hit by a truck or bus with 'brake failure', being in a taxi at night (drunk driver) etc etc... there are a myriad of ways in which Thailand is extremely unsafe and I feel unsafe and have to balance that. 

So... For personal safety due to confrontation - I feel perfectly safe. 

for other 'inadvertent risks' - I feel less safe.

Thoughtful answer. Thank you.

Here, when a high truck pass in front of my house, there is a chap on top of the truck with a special long fork to lift up electricity and internet cables to enable the truck to pass. Every time it makes me laugh is well worth what will happen when he will forget his forks ????. 3 years worth of laugh without damage by now  ????.

I stay here about 17 year already!

16 years before went pataya one time and never want go again because feel not safety! 
stay in bangkok and now many years stay in north 

but every where after 9 pm feel not too much safe ! Because drunk crazy people too much drink ( lao khao ) rice whisky ???? and driving crazy 

stay in home after 9 pm better 

another ok 

bye

2 minutes ago, phantomfiddler said:

It depends on what type of safety you are referring to. As far as safety from being robbed or attacked it is the safest country I have ever lived in, and I have lived here for almost 40 years. However, when it comes to safety, meaning a feeling of security from immigration and police extortion, I feel extremely vulnerable ????

This is a very thoughtful answer too. Thank you.

Thaivisa does not help with a large percentage of negative comments on these subjects. I am lucky to have a Thai wife who understands how police, immigration and government work here. She sorted easily 3 or 4 small issues for me.

6 minutes ago, mehrdad said:

I stay here about 17 year already!

16 years before went pataya one time and never want go again because feel not safety! 
stay in bangkok and now many years stay in north 

but every where after 9 pm feel not too much safe ! Because drunk crazy people too much drink ( lao khao ) rice whisky ???? and driving crazy 

stay in home after 9 pm better 

another ok 

bye

Thank you, Mehrdad. The same sensible answer as a previous poster. Recognise early where the trouble might come from (it is not difficult) and evade it.

I feel as safe in Thailand as I feel anywhere else in the world.

Use some common sense, beware of your surroundings , make good choices and you will be fine.

Over 13 years coming to Thailand and going everywhere, and I never had a problem not once, not even close.

But I am always with my family which might make the difference.

3 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I feel as safe in Thailand as I feel anywhere else in the world.

Use some common sense, beware of your surroundings , make good choices and you will be fine.

Over 13 years coming to Thailand and going everywhere, and I never had a problem not once, not even close.

But I am always with my family which might make the difference.

Perhaps safe for a man who doesn't look like Donald Duck.

Living here for 17 years, Thailand is in no way safe when you're female, sexy and good looking. That goes for Thais and foreigners! 

Even Sisaket at night would be very risky. There's no cop around, but plenty of weirdos. 

Wifey's motorbike broke down and a guy with a mask started following her when she was looking for a safe place.

The guy then did the runner when I arrived. I don't even want to think about what would have happened if........   

58 minutes ago, Europeanguy said:

I even had a swarm of bees who allowed themselves a rest for 3 days,

go tap the tree and see how safe you feel...............I have a  lot  like that now in a tree, staff are  waiting for the honey before we  attack

Archived