Do I feel safe in Thailand?

Europeanguy

Do you feel safe in Thailand?  

192 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

13 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

Not when I have a gik

I choose to sleep alone , and padlock the bedroom door .

Safe as houses can be.  One cannot be too careful, in a foreign land ...

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me nearly all the serious danger I found myself in in the past was related to the consumption of alcohol and driving. In the days when I combined the two I was in abject peril. Having virtually stopped drinking and now being an experienced and defensive car and motorcycle rider the only read danger left is....

The missus. 

Rooster

So, an answer for Ginger Tea. Im a young 60 + . I’ve been mugged in Cambodia , also in Pattaya. I never felt unsafe before. Now I’m very cautious, never walk down an empty street/ soi, I wait for other people to come along. I don’t carry a bag after sundown .Im always   aware of my surroundings, walk’against the traffic.But for me the worst thing of all, is having to take a taxi to the airport or back, and I’ll never take a van again in my life, or a tuc tuc on Phuket. I have a neighbour , she d rather sleep overnight in Bangkok rather than take a taxi for an early morning flight. You feel safer in a big bus. I’ve bought nice Bermuda’s ( long shorts) with zipped pockets, a 100€ a piece. Worth every penny. I can carry my passport if need be , credit card and money, all hidden away  . I rent a safe , no extra money at home, or my passport. I think us women are more careful, probably because we can’t fight back. I’d love to wallop the guy who stole 10$ off me and gave me bruised ribs and scrape burns all down my face. I’ve got a lot of names for them.

Compared to my home country , Australia , overall I feel  less safe . More importantly , I feel that my 8 year old is much less safe than than he would be in Australia . As far as being attacked or robbed I don't think there's any difference . But as soon as I travel I feel less safe , Thai roads are beyond compare . When my son goes to school I worry about him being bitten by dengue fever carrying mosquito . When he plays football after school , I worry about all the teenage kids racing around the school grounds on motorbikes will run into him , and of course , in the future ,worried that he'll become friends with a mob that rides m/bikes without helmets  ( primary , high school combined ). 

Personally , if I have an accident, stroke or heart attack , will qualified paramedics come to take care of me , what about the hospital care ?  

I feel safe if it comes to general people and life on the street, I feel less safe if it comes to potential issues of immigration or police extortion / set-up. 
Does bother me more and more to have no rights, if anything bad happens, you can only hope to be deported without weeks of detention. 

5 hours ago, sirineou said:

I feel as safe in Thailand as I feel anywhere else in the world.

I think thailand not safe. Should be scared.

Have Grasue, Grahang, Gonggoy, pi pob, Mae Nak. Many more.

Thailand dangerous place. Must be careful.

BC4B4908-C15D-4021-8935-6EA15A3B3A23.jpeg

6DA237B7-9E93-4FE1-A021-1FB924E7D64E.jpeg

FF8A438C-160A-48EF-90A6-4A57451A72AE.jpeg

801F514C-301F-49EF-AFB4-F0A4E8178A0B.jpeg

A91297EE-4869-4EFF-BB6C-3947152C0BE6.jpeg

DC4BB701-076F-4EB0-B64D-B5B0088522C4.jpeg

D6DD7885-8056-4A11-BFFF-55A192D15266.jpeg

BB1CC171-DF05-476B-A003-D6573B6C3721.jpeg

3 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Generally never an issue and never feel threatened or concerned.BUT that changes when I am out on the main highways around the country, I am super alert and very wary as there are too many "nutters" out on the highways that could have anything from machetes to firearms with them and road rage is not something I want to encounter. I assume and drive like everyone is trying to kill me, I find it a much safer position to adopt, cos ya never know ! Road-rage is the one to watch.

That is the only area I am concerned about in Thailand.

One would be tempted to claim that a peoples Character is mirrored by the way they bahave on the road. I am afraid, it's not that easy. Americans drive quite disciplined, but the "Violence-Facor" in society is far higher than in Thailand.
In Thailand, just important to remember that behind the smiling faces, years of frustration and anger may be bottled-up. So, at the slightest emergence of "disharmony" among Thais, this Farang makes a fast exit.

Only constant "danger-zone" for Farangs is Beach-Road in Pattaya after 2 AM. The Lady-Boys consider this aerea as their "place of work", pouncing on "greenhorn" Farangs. Only place in Pattaya that I would consider as a permanent "danger-zone" for Farangs.

- Considering the fact, that hordes of "adventure seeking Farangs" descend on Pattaya daily, I am amazed how little crime actually takes place compared to other urban aereas in Europe/US.
I rest my case.

4 hours ago, Yinn said:

I think thailand not safe. Should be scared.

Have Grasue, Grahang, Gonggoy, pi pob, Mae Nak. Many more.

Thailand dangerous place. Must be careful.

BC4B4908-C15D-4021-8935-6EA15A3B3A23.jpeg

6DA237B7-9E93-4FE1-A021-1FB924E7D64E.jpeg

FF8A438C-160A-48EF-90A6-4A57451A72AE.jpeg

801F514C-301F-49EF-AFB4-F0A4E8178A0B.jpeg

A91297EE-4869-4EFF-BB6C-3947152C0BE6.jpeg

DC4BB701-076F-4EB0-B64D-B5B0088522C4.jpeg

D6DD7885-8056-4A11-BFFF-55A192D15266.jpeg

BB1CC171-DF05-476B-A003-D6573B6C3721.jpeg

Where did you find my family pictures?

It is Called Life, Deal with it.

Started Life without a Instruction Book or a Guarantee, take the lumps with the sugar,

and learn from your mistakes, as you go along.

No Reason to Fear because the Journey ends the same for All of us.

Enjoy it while you can, it is not as bad as the TV and News make it to be.

On 11/30/2019 at 2:41 AM, Puchaiyank said:

Not every area of Thailand is as casual, friendly, or safe as the Udon Thani area of Thailand.  

Stepping over cattle droppings everyday to feel safe and secure is not for everyone...????

I live in SW Pathum Thani, have lived in Bangkok (NW, just North of Central World, Asoke, near Ramkhamhaeng University) and I've always felt saver here than in Houston, Las Vegas or New Orleans, which are a few of the other places I've lived.

There are a couple of things that I have to guard against here.

Firstly there is the Thai government itself. As it comes under more Chinese influence, I expect, at any time, to be faced with insurmountable obstacles. The problem here is my beloved daughter, who I do not want to leave under any circumstances.

That brings me nicely to 'the family'. I've lost two friends in recent years to very mysterious deaths.

One, an Ozzie, was cremated at eleven in the morning; he only died the afternoon before! When I pass his old house, and land, I still see the family digging holes all over the place; hoping to find his hidden gold.

The other was a Dane, who had the most bizarre m/c accident. The family all blamed in it on a peelaw. I know otherwise, but what can an old farang do when there is everything to lose and nothing to gain. RIP both of you guys.

My biggest surprise about Thailand is how safe it is. I lived most of my life near San Francisco, CA. It is impossible to walk down the street without being confronted by the homeless. You have the drug addicts and the drunks and the mentally unstable and the unemployed and the PTSD veterans. Most of them panhandle for money and some steal, break into houses, break into cars. You can never leave a bike unlocked, a bag unattended, a car unlocked. Anything of value that is not bolted down is stolen. 

People are by far more aggressive on the roads and road rage is a scary and completely out of control phenomenon. The American psyche is a mix of anger, fear-and ennui. Thailand is a blessing.

8 minutes ago, Onrai said:

The American psyche is a mix of anger, fear-and ennui. Thailand is a blessing.

completely only your opinion.  i would say most totally disagree with you, and hopefully you can work through your hatred and bitterness and anger in LOS.   

12 hours ago, Ventenio said:

completely only your opinion.  i would say most totally disagree with you, and hopefully you can work through your hatred and bitterness and anger in LOS. 

I am 65 and grew up and lived in the USA most of my life. I am in Thailand not because I am trying work out my anger but because it is no longer the country I grew up in. Every single day there is another senseless mass shooting in the USA. If you think it is any different, the land of milk and honey where there there is no addiction, no progress in wages keeping up with inflation and everything is bliss then let me know where you lived and why it was so great. Please add why you are in Thailand if you feel America is such a great country.

The OP's voting option is too limited.  I generally feel safe but the roads are the obvious danger.  I get wound up by the occasional Thai male with their obvious malevolent unsolicited attitude towards me and have to endeavour not to react which has been successful so far.  

On 12/1/2019 at 7:25 PM, owl sees all said:

// I've lost two friends in recent years to very mysterious deaths.

One, an Ozzie, was cremated at eleven in the morning; he only died the afternoon before! //

Hum... A bit hard to believe. There is a full process to be followed when a foreigner dies; it most of times include police, hospital, embassy... and I doubt all documents and authorisations required may be obtained in such a short delay...

On 11/30/2019 at 7:51 AM, AlexRich said:

I’ve always felt safe in Thailand, but I keep a low profile, I’m never drunk, and I’m generally pleasant with people. It reduces the risk of getting in trouble, but never completely eliminates it. Trouble can arise in any country. 

Good advice. Being polite and respectful towards other people goes a long way anywhere. 

Another golden rule is only drink if your personality stays nice and polite when you're drunk. Some people become obnoxious when drinking and run into lots of trouble. 

I feel safe. 

But i know that's an illusion. 

Several Thai's I know have been robbed  around my neighborhood (but they are girls).

Not far away, a Thai was beaten almost to death in broad daylight (but that was in Samrong, which is a bad neighborhood)

A foreigner was once mugged at a nearby BTS at 11pm,  they used a machete. 

My gf used this to tell me not to walk around in dark sois or slums at 2 or 3 am like I always did. I still feel safe but I try not to be stupid. 

Traffic: I feel fine. In my country,  we drive much faster (we don't have a speed limit) and more aggressive.

Police and juridic problems, medical care: see post #2. No good feeling 

Generally not. Safer than somewhere else sure, but not totally safe in absolute terms. There isn't a lot of violent crime like assaults I think, compared to economically similar level countries or even many more developed places but I have been a victim of burglaries that left me a feeling of vulnerability. If nice condos are so easy to break into then what can you trust in? I have understood it is due to a massive drug problem.

There is the traffic, obviously, but the biggest issue is probably the corruption, general lack of competence and rule of law. Especially as a foreigner you're on your own if *beep* hits the fan. That gives a very precarious feeling.

Safe is fairly subjective. If I wanted to be under the care and control of a nanny state and perceived "safety", I'd be well advised to stay in the nanny state. There is some level of morbid entertainment in Thailand, seeing the helpless lack of common sense types end up mangled. ????

Feel perfectly safe here in Thailand, have no problem walking in Pattaya town centre late at night (apart from falling into one of the thousands of poorly protected unlit holes caused by all the road works!) but would not feel at all comfortable doing the same back in the UK.

On 12/2/2019 at 4:43 AM, Onrai said:

I am 65 and grew up and lived in the USA most of my life. I am in Thailand not because I am trying work out my anger but because it is no longer the country I grew up in. Every single day there is another senseless mass shooting in the USA. If you think it is any different, the land of milk and honey where there there is no addiction, no progress in wages keeping up with inflation and everything is bliss then let me know where you lived and why it was so great. Please add why you are in Thailand if you feel America is such a great country.

The USA is the greatest country in the world, But I prefer Thailand for the time being.

Archived