Jump to content
BANGKOK
moonseeker

Sourdough Bread???

Recommended Posts

Any pointers to a nice crusty sourdough bread, please. I am aware of the BIG C, TOPS etc. ones. Not bad, but always up

for a change. Thank you. MS>

 

 

download (2).jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi MS

 

I am fairly certain that Zurich Bread Cafe in naklua have a range,

It is on the left hand side a one minute stroll from the Dolphin Circle/junction.

Prices are high.

Between 6 PM and 9 PM they do a buy 1 get 1 free. if they have any left.

Another 1 or 2 minutes walk from there, also on the left hand side is La Baguette, they may have what you are looking for ( not sure though )

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did you ever consider buying a bread maker and having DIY sourdough bread? I'm interested in trying it, but I don't know anybody with one who can tell me if it's difficult, or worth the effort, or give me any hints and tips.

 

I saw a Panasonic model on Lazada, around 7500 Baht, that did all the mixing for you, it had a compartment for adding seeds or fruit or whatever, and you could program the timer so that you had hot, fresh bread ready when you got up in the morning. Sounds ideal, but as I said, I have no experience with these things.

 

Anybody got one, and are they worth it?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Guderian said:

Did you ever consider buying a bread maker and having DIY sourdough bread? I'm interested in trying it, but I don't know anybody with one who can tell me if it's difficult, or worth the effort, or give me any hints and tips.

 

I saw a Panasonic model on Lazada, around 7500 Baht, that did all the mixing for you, it had a compartment for adding seeds or fruit or whatever, and you could program the timer so that you had hot, fresh bread ready when you got up in the morning. Sounds ideal, but as I said, I have no experience with these things.

 

Anybody got one, and are they worth it?

I have tried a breadmaker, wasn't too impressed, IMO you would be better investing your money in a mixer with a dough hook.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, vogie said:

I have tried a breadmaker, wasn't too impressed, IMO you would be better investing your money in a mixer with a dough hook.

Wrong recipe ........ mine works perfectly every time.

Edited by BritManToo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Read a report today (forget where, maybe BBC) that there is a lot of fake sourdough about. I wouldn't know how to tell the difference.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You are right. Some excellent YouTube documentaries on really "pure" bread without industrial addons. Goes for almost any kind of food or drink these days. 100% OJ? Mineral Water? etc. Forget it... You loose your appetite if you start watching this stuff. Thanks for all responses. I found a fantastic bread in Jomtien Complex, French Bakery and Restaurant. However it is a bit out of my way and for the rather small size not very affordable with 110 Baht. However it can be frozen right in the special paperbag and baked up again. So I buy 4 or 5 at a time. Still tastes fantastic out of the freezer. Keeps in fridge for several days in original bag. Does not last 2 days with me, 555555. Crusty and tasty. Watch your fingers when cutting... Has a good choice of breads and weets which I have not tried yet. . Regards. MS>

Edited by moonseeker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've tried a breadmaker, I don't like the hole left in the middle of the loaf by the paddle.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/1/2019 at 11:26 AM, BritManToo said:

Perfect every time, I don't do sourdough bread, just plain white, sometimes wholewheat

I also use it to make my yogurt and pizza dough.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/morries-breadmaker-19-in-1-multifunctional-stainless-steel-i3370876-s4106230.html

 

Used about 4-5x a week, the most essential item in my kitchen.

The Panasonic is well overpriced for a fairly basic machine.

Morries is far superior, and it's brushed steel.

bread.jpg

My gosh, that looks really good.

 

What about Golden Triangle's comment that the paddle leaves a hole in the middle of the loaf, that doesn't seem to have happened with your magnificent product?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Guderian said:

My gosh, that looks really good.

 

What about Golden Triangle's comment that the paddle leaves a hole in the middle of the loaf, that doesn't seem to have happened with your magnificent product?

The hole's in the bottom, affects about 3 slices, hardly significant.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

The hole's in the bottom, affects about 3 slices, hardly significant.

And what flour and yeast do you use? I mostly use the Kite all-purpose flour for cooking, but I see they make several varieties, including, I think, a bread flour. Do you need to use the specialist flour like that, or will the all purpose stuff do?

 

I've looked in Foodland, Foodmart and Friendship in the past when toying with the idea of trying to make bread in the oven and the only yeast I've seen comes in a brown bottle, Perfect brand of instant yeast. Does that stuff work OK, or is there something better around?

 

Sorry to bother you, but I'm getting quite keen to try this now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...