BANGKOK
bt2017

Visa Insurance requirements for Non Imm'O'

Hi a friend just returned from doing his 90 day report at CM IMM and also to get a re-entry as he's going to Viet. he was told that if he leaves Thai. and returns he will need compulsory health insurance. I have never heard this but he said he questioned 2 IMO's I asked if he stipulated that he had an 'O' visa which he confirmed is this legit?? Cheers

• Sad 1

It is only if he submits a 1 year extension of stay application on basis of his non-O/A; that is when proof of insurance will be requested.   It is also possible that on a fresh entry of non-o/a, insurance might be requested.

The re-entry permit "should" not be an issue on the re-entry.   You are not requesting new permission to enter.  You are re-entering on a previous permission to stay that is still valid.

And yes, non-o is different type of visa than non-o/a.

Hi a friend just returned from doing his 90 day report at CM IMM and also to get a re-entry as he's going to Viet. he was told that if he leaves Thai. and returns he will need compulsory health insurance. I have never heard this but he said he questioned 2 IMO's I asked if he stipulated that he had an 'O' visa which he confirmed is this legit?? Cheers

There is still a lot of grey area about returning with an existing OA visa (not re-entry permit that should be safe), currently it seems border officers are stamping the full 12 months but its a bit of an unknown.. 

On a O visa no issues. 
On a re-entry permit no issues.. 
On a OA issued before Oct 31 (law says needed but IOs seem to be ok with it for now). 
On a OA issued after Oct 31 should have needed insurance to be issued it, hence may be asked for proof. 

oa.JPG.3f930e728595391b277b485e589d4829.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

See the other thread.. Been discussed to death for months in the visa forum. 

• Like 1

WOW, 2 obvious incorrect responses when asking for information from 2 CM immigration officers!

1. When re-entering Thailand with a re-entry permit, as he will be doing, it will NOT be required as the re-entry permit will keep his granted permission to stay alive (irrespective whether it is O or OA).

2. He has an O Visa.  Making statements about health-insurance being required is incorrect.

Only if he has an OA - retirement Visa will he ever be queried about it (when he applies for an extension of stay).

No wonder everybody gets confused, when the responses of those who are expected to enforce the requirements are blatantly incorrect.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bt2017 said:

I asked if he stipulated that he had an 'O' visa which he confirmed is this legit

If he is married to a Thai as I am and has an non 'O' visa, then no insurance is required, that said as others have also said, if it's a non 'O/A' visa, i.e. not married to a Thai, then insurance will be required when he renews his extension in due course, that said, best be looking at his passport for clarification.

1 hour ago, LivinLOS said:

Error

Edited by Thailand
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

If he is married to a Thai as I am and has an non 'O' visa, then no insurance is required, that said as others have also said, if it's a non 'O/A' visa, i.e. not married to a Thai, then insurance will be required when he renews his extension in due course, that said, best be looking at his passport for clarification.

You seem to be suggesting that all non-O visas except marriage are non-OA. This is not correct. For example I originally entered on a non-OB visa

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, neilrob said:

You seem to be suggesting that all non-O visas except marriage are non-OA. This is not correct. For example I originally entered on a non-OB visa

And there were Non-O issued not for retirement, not for marriage, not for business, not for work.......just simply Non-O for longer stay than voa.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/30/2019 at 1:06 PM, bt2017 said:

he had an 'O' visa which he confirmed is this legit?? Cheers

Non-O or O-A  ?!!!

they are very different. 

No insurance is required for non-O extension. 

Edited by The Theory

I can tell you that CM Immigration are as confused about health insurance when it comes to extensions of stay for Non O-A retirement as the rest of us. A friend, 3 weeks ago, did his extension of stay at CM and health insurance was never mentioned. Yet when enquiring at the CM Imm office whether it is needed or not they say yes. So I asked them about my friend getting his extension and not being asked about health insurance, and I just got a blank stare back from the IO. No effort to ask anyone else to ascertain what is and isn't required.

So I'd be interested to see posts from anyone who has done an extension of stay ( Non O-A based on retirement ) since 31 Oct at CM to see what their experience was.

• Thanks 1

A friend went to CM immigration to renew his extension of stay based on a O-A visa about 1 week ago he was told insurance needed. He will be getting a o visa

• Like 1