Boarding School For Mathayom 2 Thai Student with no English skills

engrin

As you didn't even mention where you're located, let her watch Youtube movies for learners of the English language.

Go to Bangkok Post's website and look for English for young learners, there are great stories with the vocab in Thai, plus an audio file to listen to the text.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/learning/

It's very difficult when she doesn't have any knowledge of English to start at a boarding school. She needs to catch up and that's only possible in her free time.

Another great website is: https://www.examenglish.com/CEFR/cefr.php

You'll find exercises in listening, speaking, writing and reading from A 1 ( beginner) to C 2 ( mastery level).

Watching cartoons/movies without Thai subtitles helps a lot. 

Edited by Isaanbiker

• 3 weeks later...

Wattana Wittayalai boards

Sacred Heart Convent boards

WWA is clearly the better school. If she's not much of a student and you don't plan on making much of a "donation" then maybe not. Many of the girls go on to top ten universities. 

SHC I'm not entirely certain they board outside EP but it's very possible. It's an OK school. The best of the EP girls will land a few spots at Chula. The Thai side is pretty weak but I'm sure it's way better than 95% of what's upcountry. They get a few hrs English weekly outside of EP.

If you can get into SHC a bonus is all or most girls in dorms are in EP program. So some of it might run off. Girls in EP are from better families. Education isn't bad in EP it's just not great. SHC is not expensive especially Thai side. No idea about the boarding.

EP girls do OK at SHC. Chula, Thammasat, Kasetsart for the more ambitious. Rich, lazy girls go to ABAC.

Prolly both compete for seats at KMUTT it's been really moving up in ranking.

Start thinking about university now.

You can pm me for more.

Edited by Number 6
  • Like 1

On 11/30/2019 at 4:59 PM, Isaanbiker said:

OP you might get more answers if you post where you're located!!! 

How is my location relevant to where I board my niece? 

On 11/30/2019 at 5:10 PM, jumbo said:

Cheers. Will check it out!

On 12/18/2019 at 4:28 PM, Number 6 said:

Wattana Wittayalai boards

Sacred Heart Convent boards

WWA is clearly the better school. If she's not much of a student and you don't plan on making much of a "donation" then maybe not. Many of the girls go on to top ten universities. 

SHC I'm not entirely certain they board outside EP but it's very possible. It's an OK school. The best of the EP girls will land a few spots at Chula. The Thai side is pretty weak but I'm sure it's way better than 95% of what's upcountry. They get a few hrs English weekly outside of EP.

If you can get into SHC a bonus is all or most girls in dorms are in EP program. So some of it might run off. Girls in EP are from better families. Education isn't bad in EP it's just not great. SHC is not expensive especially Thai side. No idea about the boarding.

EP girls do OK at SHC. Chula, Thammasat, Kasetsart for the more ambitious. Rich, lazy girls go to ABAC.

Prolly both compete for seats at KMUTT it's been really moving up in ranking.

Start thinking about university now.

You can pm me for more.

Very informative. Thank you. Will check out the recommendations. 

On 11/30/2019 at 3:52 PM, Isaanbiker said:

As you didn't even mention where you're located, let her watch Youtube movies for learners of the English language.

Go to Bangkok Post's website and look for English for young learners, there are great stories with the vocab in Thai, plus an audio file to listen to the text.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/learning/

It's very difficult when she doesn't have any knowledge of English to start at a boarding school. She needs to catch up and that's only possible in her free time.

Another great website is: https://www.examenglish.com/CEFR/cefr.php

You'll find exercises in listening, speaking, writing and reading from A 1 ( beginner) to C 2 ( mastery level).

Watching cartoons/movies without Thai subtitles helps a lot. 

Thanks but I'm not looking for English learning resources. I'm looking for boarding options as the topic title suggests.  

• 2 months later...

Keep the child at home with his/her family. Send them to local school and receive online English tutoring from Vasana Language School (based out of Mae Sot, one of the 2 largest ESL tutoring agencies in all of Tak). If you'd like further guidance on such, let me know. No need to send a child off to boarding school. Family is the place for a child.