Bangkok Bank Be1st "Mastercard" for Aliens........

Hello and Sawasdee Khrap,

I've had their Visa card and all was fine until i couldn't find my card anymore. So I went to my bank to cancel the card, but they do not have visa cards anymore.

I had my visacard connected to my PayPal account and it worked well, even when I added the new Mastercard.

When I tried to verify the account/card, something went wrong and the card wasn't accepted anymore.

I can't add this Mastercard to PayPal, they tell me that the card is not accepted.

I checked at my bank and I can make shoppings for up to 50,000 baht. So the card is working and fully activated.

Is there a way to use my card for any purchases using PayPal? Their customer service is not what I'd recommend to anybody. 

Thanks  a lot in advance for any advice. 

Edited by Isaanbiker

Just now, poohy said:

There is known problems with BKK bank cards and paypal

My solution was use my krung thai card

I did ring BKK bank customer service they said they would investigate ,they rang back about 2 months with answer problem cannot!

Thanks, will look for a bank where I'll get a visa card in town. I've had an SCB account, but didn't use it for many years.

Will check that out, thanks! 

3 minutes ago, poohy said:

From another BKK bank problem(not paypal specific) thread seems mastercard is problematic online

For your info my bkk bank just stopped working on paypal worked perfectly one day next...nah! neither paypal who were surprisingly helpful or BKK bank (less so) had any idea why?

2 hours ago, poohy said:

No real problems with mobile or pc for online banking

NOW getting their atm cards to work online is another matter, YES  they used to work fine suddenly stopped BKK bank said yes a problem it will be solved

It has i use my Krung thai bank card for online stuff

BKK bank cards still dont work

If you're talking about Bangkok Banks new MasterCard,then you're right. I had their Visa until it expired and I had to accept the Be1st Smart TPN MasterCard. There are online problems with the MasterCard. It works here and there,but not everywhere. I have seen several complaints online,and I have contacted Bangkok Bank head office in BKK myself. They have no clue why it doesn't work. I told them to talk to MasterCard in BKK,but nothing happened. Luckily I also have an account at K-Bank incl. Visa,and it works everywhere. December 31 2019, all Visa-cards issued by Bangkok Bank will expire. Then everybody have to accept MasterCard, and when all those customers realizes that it doesn't work properly, then,maybe Bangkok Bank will understand the problem.

Thanks. It's so ridiculous with my account opened up at a Tesco. They made a huge mistake in the beginning and used my middle name as my surname.

When I went to the manager to solve the problem, he told me that there's no space to add my last name........

Then I made the suggestion to delete my middle name and put my last name in and it worked!!!!

Whenever I have to see the main Bangkok Bank downtown, it's always a complicated procedure. They always call up Bangkok and then they give me the phone to do something and follow their instructions.

Then I usually tell the lady/guy in question that the employees of the local Bangkok bank should do that and it usually works out. But only if you can speak their language.

I've tried hard to use Bangkok Bank's online service. After almost a year, they finally gave green light and when I wanted to sign in, a message popped up saying that something was wrong and i should see my bank!!! 

I've opened my first BB account in 2002 when they paid a 2.5 % interest, but nobody told me that I'd have gotten that if I'd have chosen to open up a joint account with my wife in it. 

Unfortunately, did I only receive between 0.5 to 0.7 percent interest and lost good money because they didn't advice me properly.

If I think about it, the only positive solution is to leave Bangkok Bank and continue with another one.

The whole chaos started when China bought 50 % of Bangkok Bank. 

• Haha 1

I agree 

i keep the BKK account in bangkok as its one of my old business bank accounts (and i knew the manager but shes retired now so less reason to stay) but all my investments pay into it but that just me being bone idle

re staff some are phenomenal, others want shooting to put it politely, outside bangkok i have found it much harder to get things done although in prachuap i have 3 "go toos" in branch that can sort most things

Its certainly got worse so i guess my days are numbered although i do like the layout of the internet banking on laptop

their cards are a complete unmitigated disaster thankfully i missed being issued with the useless union pay one

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, poohy said:

I agree 

i keep the BKK account in bangkok as its one of my old business bank accounts (and i knew the manager but shes retired now so less reason to stay) but all my investments pay into it but that just me being bone idle

re staff some are phenomenal, others want shooting to put it politely, outside bangkok i have found it much harder to get things done although in prachuap i have 3 "go toos" in branch that can sort most things

Its certainly got worse so i guess my days are numbered although i do like the layout of the internet banking on laptop

their cards are a complete unmitigated disaster thankfully i missed being issued with the useless union pay one

Thanks for the great information!!! Have a nice weekend. 

1 hour ago, poohy said:

Then everybody have to accept MasterCard, and when all those customers realizes that it doesn't work properly, then,maybe Bangkok Bank will understand the problem.

The thing is, BBL's Mastercard does work online, I've been paying for my Villa, Tesco and Top's deliveries for many months, used it for Villa yesterday.  Works fine on Lazada too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, poohy said:

December 31 2019, all Visa-cards issued by Bangkok Bank will expire.

Thanks for that as I was only in the local branch yesterday and the teller had my Be1st VISA Card in her hand and didn't mention a thing about it, TiT.  Anyway, I've just had a gander on the Bangkok Bank website and sure enough it'll expire as you say. 

I've got to go back to the local branch on Monday anyway and will pick up the Mastercard before returning back to the UK.  Had I returned home without knowing that then it would've been a right inconvenience when I started booking Thai domestic flights for our trip next year.  

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

i just two days ago got my new Bangkok Bank Platinum Visa credit card and Master Card credit card. the previous cards expired. they are good for five more years.

had the cards delivered to the bank instead of to my house. got a text saying come to bank. I asked the girl to activate the cards. no problems. took 30 seconds on the phone.  

Never use my Union Pay BB debt card anywhere except the ATM.

same here and no problem whatsoever

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:
1 minute ago, Mavideol said:

I think they are talking about the debit card

Yes, the debit card.  

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Cards/Be1st-Smart-Card

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Just Weird said:

The Chinese government owns 50% of BBL?  Really?

Yet another fallacy.

I can't back this up, that's what the manager of the Tesco BB in Sisaket told me.

BTW, it's a debit card. 

He also told me that this particular card would have "some issues."

Edited by Isaanbiker

16 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

i just two days ago got my new Bangkok Bank Platinum Visa credit card and Master Card credit card. the previous cards expired. they are good for five more years.

had the cards delivered to the bank instead of to my house. got a text saying come to bank. I asked the girl to activate the cards. no problems. took 30 seconds on the phone.  

Never use my Union Pay BB debt card anywhere except the ATM.

I certainly wouldn't trust you if your were in a banking position.

Not knowing the difference between a debit and credit card.

16 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

4 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Not knowing the difference between a debit and credit card.

It is not about the difference between a debit and a credit card.

It's about a so-called "Mastercard" that doesn't work with certain online companies, for example, PayPal.

Pretty much inconvenient when you want to pay for a flight, but the card isn't accepted. 

One of these fantastic employees had my limit changed from 50 K to 5 K and it was more than funny to get that fixed.

They called somebody in Bangkok, gave me the phone and wanted me to follow certain instructions the bank employee should have done for me.

But I told the lady on the phone that she should give her colleague at the bank where I was this advice and do what has to be done. 

Incredible.....

Bangkok Bank"s debit cards are a disaster. I was told a year ago that the Visa Debit Card would be expiring on Dec 31st. 2018, which turns out to have been misinformation as they are still in use, at least up till 31st. December 2019, maybe longer. As a result I changed my two Debit Cards to one Mastercard and one Union Pay. The Union Pay card is virtually useless except to withdraw cash from the ATM. The Mastercard is very much hit-and-miss, works in some places, not others, works at some online sites, not at others (don't know about Paypal). Luckily I do still have my Bangkok Bank Visa Credit Card which works everywhere.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

My BBK visa Be1st(debit) has it's expiry date on it as 04/23

Last year my 2 Visa debit cards had the expiry date in 2025, but I was told by my local branch, wrongly it turns out, that I had to change them to either Mastercard or Union Pay by the end of 2018. I got one of each and I've regretted listening to them and changing them ever since.

14 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

My BBK visa Be1st(debit) has it's expiry date on it as 04/23

Mine was also good until 04/23, but I thought that I'd lost it and later found it in the basket where it always is.

The way I see it, they stop the use of these cards at the end of this month.

You'll not like the new Mastercard, that's for sure. You never know if it's accepted, or not by an online banking transaction. 

Better to change the bank, but it's hard for me because all is set up with this card and bank account. 

It's similar to other things here. I had to say goodbye to so many things in 17 years. 

Edited by Isaanbiker

43 minutes ago, Hotrats said:

Bangkok Bank"s debit cards are a disaster. I was told a year ago that the Visa Debit Card would be expiring on Dec 31st. 2018, which turns out to have been misinformation as they are still in use, at least up till 31st. December 2019, maybe longer. As a result I changed my two Debit Cards to one Mastercard and one Union Pay. The Union Pay card is virtually useless except to withdraw cash from the ATM. The Mastercard is very much hit-and-miss, works in some places, not others, works at some online sites, not at others (don't know about Paypal). Luckily I do still have my Bangkok Bank Visa Credit Card which works everywhere.

PayPal does not accept this card. I had it set up with my visa, then added the Mastercard and it worked for while.

But when I wanted to verify the card and typed the wrong numbers, as I didn't have an online statement, I was totally logged out of PayPal.

When I got in touch with them, they sent me a link and when I clicked on it, I was even more fragged and unable to do anything with my PP account!!

Unfortunately, is their customer support somewhere in the Philippines and I've made some very bad experiences finding out what was wrong.

I was using very easy English to describe my problem and a guy then send me a link on how to link a credit card with PayPal.

When I phoned them, the same guy with the name "Allan" was on the phone and i wanted to cry when he didn't understand my problem and sent me links on how to link a card with PP.

Edited by Isaanbiker

17 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

I can't back this up, that's what the manager of the Tesco BB in Sisaket told me.

BTW, it's a debit card. 

He also told me that this particular card would have "some issues."

Screen Shot 2019-12-01 at 12.53.04 PM.png

• Like 1