Bangkok Bank Be1st "Mastercard" for Aliens........

Have banked with BKK bank many years, the staff in their KhonKaen branch are very very helpful and attentive

However the new Be 1st Mastercard stinks, it was refused by Booking.com I after several hours and a branch visit was promised a call it never came, generally the Bangkok Bank telephone service is very slow and seldom resolve the problem

I have two of these cards on different accounts and both were refused for small amounts at Singapore airport a couple of weeks ago

before I had the visa card and it worked very well but the Bank in its wisdom have chosen to discontinue it

Bangkok Bank is 30 yrs behind UK banks, we stay only because of the branch staff, who try so hard to be helpful, they are equally frustrated by the telephone banking, that they also appear to have to use, at least give them fast track access

1 hour ago, Isaanbiker said:

The way I see it, they stop the use of these cards at the end of this month.

They keep saying it will stop, but I'm guessing as long as half their customers keep them, they'll keep working.

If the worst happens, I'll just use my Bangkok phone app to transfer to my TMB account, then use my TMB VISA debit card.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, poohy said:

There is known problems with BKK bank cards and paypal

My solution was use my krung thai card

Edit:  I had no problems with bkb visa debit cards and paypal.    I hope I will not experience the same when I eventually will have to switch to the mastercard cards.

21 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

The whole chaos started when China bought 50 % of Bangkok Bank. 

20 hours ago, Just Weird said:

The Chinese government owns 50% of BBL?  Really?

Yet another fallacy.

Can either of you or anyone provide a link etc showing which Chinese company owns what % o bangkok bank or vice versa?   

I was thinking the quiet/sudden switch to UnionPay cards were a result of:

a) diversifying away from Visa  (but why not just have both????)

b) A concession that BkB needed to do in order to have their Branches operate prominently in Mainland China.

20 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

i just two days ago got my new Bangkok Bank Platinum Visa credit card and Master Card credit card. the previous cards expired. they are good for five more years.

Can you elaborate on what you had to do to qualify for these credit cards as a foreigner?  

Are they secured cards or unsecured?   How much is the limit / security deposit?

Edited by 4evermaat

The more I read of the experiences and problems of our distinguished TVF members with the locally issued credit cards, I guess I will stick to my rather reliable  method used for years and  thank god, no issues yes.....stick on to good ole ca$h !!! ... though unsafe to walk around with a bag stuffed with banknotes, I agree....

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, tom in bangkok said:

I mentioned this on another thread but I'll say it again in case it helps someone to choose a different debit card.

The problem isn't Mastercard, it's the fact that it's a TPN debit card. Only local companies are allowed to process TPN debit payments online (in general), so that's why some online purchases work with it but some/most don't. TPN credit cards shouldn't have this problem.

If buying stuff online is important, either use a credit card or a debit card that doesn't go through TPN.

mine doesn't work with AIS or 3BB but works in local shops. annoying, would have thought those Thai companies would be local

21 hours ago, poohy said:

From another BKK bank problem(not paypal specific) thread seems mastercard is problematic online

For your info my bkk bank just stopped working on paypal worked perfectly one day next...nah! neither paypal who were surprisingly helpful or BKK bank (less so) had any idea why?

2 hours ago, poohy said:

No real problems with mobile or pc for online banking

NOW getting their atm cards to work online is another matter, YES  they used to work fine suddenly stopped BKK bank said yes a problem it will be solved

It has i use my Krung thai bank card for online stuff

BKK bank cards still dont work

If you're talking about Bangkok Banks new MasterCard,then you're right. I had their Visa until it expired and I had to accept the Be1st Smart TPN MasterCard. There are online problems with the MasterCard. It works here and there,but not everywhere. I have seen several complaints online,and I have contacted Bangkok Bank head office in BKK myself. They have no clue why it doesn't work. I told them to talk to MasterCard in BKK,but nothing happened. Luckily I also have an account at K-Bank incl. Visa,and it works everywhere. December 31 2019, all Visa-cards issued by Bangkok Bank will expire. Then everybody have to accept MasterCard, and when all those customers realizes that it doesn't work properly, then,maybe Bangkok Bank will understand the problem.

They have no clue. There's your answer????

• Confused 1

and again six years with Bangkok Bank and zero problems.

Visa credit card

Master Card credit card

"ATM" card

regular saving account.

Two fixed savings accounts.

and super helpful staff sitting down at a desk with immigration letters, lost cards, questions...

but i don't use my debit card for anything but ATM.

Edited by NCC1701A
  • Like 2

I don't have a Bangkok Bank anywhere near me so I have  Krung Thai Visa Debit and I like it. No problems in 3 years.

Can use for online purchases (but prefer to use my UK credit cards), can use it at BigC etc, any deposit/withdrawal sends an sms to my AIS phone, goood mobile banking APP (used to pay my AIS mobile), and very good online banking services on PC/Laptop.

I can do virtually everything I can do with Santander, maybe even more. Only downside - zero interest.

Happy with Krung Thai VISA.

For Paypal I still have a working UK account linked to UK credit card. For a while Paypal wouldnt let me log in without sending an OTP to my defunct UK mobile. Messaged their support line and it works again, for now.

Good luck

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tom in bangkok said:

I mentioned this on another thread but I'll say it again in case it helps someone to choose a different debit card.

The problem isn't Mastercard, it's the fact that it's a TPN debit card. Only local companies are allowed to process TPN debit payments online (in general), so that's why some online purchases work with it but some/most don't. TPN credit cards shouldn't have this problem.

If buying stuff online is important, either use a credit card or a debit card that doesn't go through TPN.

what is a TPN card

• Like 1

3 hours ago, soalbundy said:

My BBK visa Be1st(debit) has it's expiry date on it as 04/23

My BBK visa Be1st debit expires 01/23 but the BB website states they'll expire 31 December 2019, though what they say and what they do is anyone's guess.  I'm going to have to return to BB tomorrow and have it changed to Mastercard regardless as can't take a chance that they actually carry out the threat when I'm back in farangland.

On 11/30/2019 at 3:57 PM, Isaanbiker said:

Thanks, will look for a bank where I'll get a visa card in town. I've had an SCB account, but didn't use it for many years.

Will check that out, thanks! 

Bangkok Banks Visa debit cards expires December 31, and it's replaced by the Be1st Smart TPN MasterCard free of charge. I got my MasterCard last year in November and I connected it to my thai PayPal first day without any problem. If you really need a Visa,try opening an account at Kasikorn Bank. Their cheapest debit card is K-Debit. It's actually better than Bangkok Banks MasterCard. I use both,but for different type of monthly payments.

1 hour ago, soalbundy said:

what is a TPN card

Thai Payment Network. If your card uses TPN it'll have the logo co-branded on the card:

image.png.70b3efd436e2920e62a54e608347bea3.png

It means that a debit transaction will be processed through their network that's wholly based in Thailand, appeasing Bank of Thailand. If you want to use the card online, the merchant has to be using a payment gateway that is based here, otherwise you won't be able to use it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's strange to me why there are such disparities in the use of the BKK Bank debit cards.

I've been a BKK Bank customer for 8 years with zero issues.

When the Bank stopped issuing Visa debit cards they issued me with a Be1st MC debit card which is linked to my PayPal account, and also my Lazada, eBay and AliExpress accounts. As well, I've used it for purchases on Amazon and other purchases in the US. Zero probs. My card has the TPN logo but certainly no restrictions to TH online use only.

As well, customer service is ok, not great but satisfactory. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, tom in bangkok said:

Thai Payment Network. If your card uses TPN it'll have the logo co-branded on the card:

image.png.70b3efd436e2920e62a54e608347bea3.png

It means that a debit transaction will be processed through their network that's wholly based in Thailand, appeasing Bank of Thailand. If you want to use the card online, the merchant has to be using a payment gateway that is based here, otherwise you won't be able to use it.

The problem is that Bangkok Banks customer service, especially at the branches,have no clue about TPN and how it works. I was one of the first who received the TPN MasterCard at the Jomtien branch in November last year. It took me a couple of days to realize that it didn't work at Tesco Lotus, and still doesn't. Lazada is ok,though. I asked customer service at my branch and even emailed the head office in BKK about it,but they didn't have a clue. I went online and soon found out that other customers using the TPN MasterCard had the same problem.

In January 1 2020 when every Bangkok Bank Visa debit card expires, and everyone needs to replace them with the TPN MasterCard,then the s**t will hit the fan within days. My guess and I really hope it will happen is that,either Visa will return or they have to skip the TPN.

• Like 1

For you people having problems spending the mastercard (or any debit card), did you set the purchase limit > 0 and/or  > what you want to spend?

I actually like the fact that you can set the limit to 0 (effectively using atm-only mode), and you can adjust this via the phone automated prompt system.  I think the highest amount is 150,000 baht/day limit per card.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, torturedsole said:

Thanks for that as I was only in the local branch yesterday and the teller had my Be1st VISA Card in her hand and didn't mention a thing about it, TiT.  Anyway, I've just had a gander on the Bangkok Bank website and sure enough it'll expire as you say. 

I've got to go back to the local branch on Monday anyway and will pick up the Mastercard before returning back to the UK.  Had I returned home without knowing that then it would've been a right inconvenience when I started booking Thai domestic flights for our trip next year.  

I used my Bangkok bank debit be 1st card for the skytrain which is also a rabbit card when I'm in Bangkok, so when my card expires does my top up for the sky train expire also, and it's bye bye to any money that is in it?

Edited by possum1931

3 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

In January 1 2020 when every Bangkok Bank Visa debit card expires, and everyone needs to replace them with the TPN MasterCard,then the s**t will hit the fan within days. My guess and I really hope it will happen is that,either Visa will return or they have to skip the TPN.

So the previous Visa debit cards didn't use TPN?

4 minutes ago, Headgame said:

It's strange to me why there are such disparities in the use of the BKK Bank debit cards.

When the Bank stopped issuing Visa debit cards they issued me with a Be1st MC debit card which is linked to my PayPal account, and also my Lazada, eBay and AliExpress accounts. As well, I've used it for purchases on Amazon and other purchases in the US. Zero probs. My card has the TPN logo but certainly no restrictions to TH online use only.

There are several online stores where the TPN MasterCard doesn't work. It's a well known fact. Maybe you have been lucky. 

2 minutes ago, 4evermaat said:

For you people having problems spending the mastercard (or any debit card), did you set the purchase limit > 0 and/or  > what you want to spend?

I actually like the fact that you can set the limit to 0 (effectively using atm-only mode), and you can adjust this via the phone automated prompt system.  I think the highest amount is 150,000 baht/day limit per card.

I think the default limit is 20000 baht. 

11 minutes ago, Headgame said:

It's strange that your card works so flawless with Paypal. I've tried all, but this card is not accepted by PayPal. 

You must have had very good luck then? 

3 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

yes they are secured cards. the million plus baht i have in a Bangkok Bank fixed savings account for my retirement extension of stay is the collateral for the cards. they asked me how much of a limit do i want and i said 200,000 for each card.

every month my balance is automatically paid from my OTHER regular savings account. 

If for some reason there is not enough money to pay, they use the money in the fixed account.

that has never happened yet. 

2 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

and again six years with Bangkok Bank and zero problems.

Visa credit card

Master Card credit card

"ATM" card

regular saving account.

Two fixed savings accounts.

and super helpful staff sitting down at a desk with immigration letters, lost cards, questions...

but i don't use my debit card for anything but ATM.

Good...thanks.  Almost exactly same as me, just not in Thailand yet.  ...I didn't even know the ATM cards / debit cards had anything to do with Mastercard/Visa - just looked now and see they have the Mastercard logo.  I've never used it at the supermarket or any online payments, that's what the credit card fee is for.

Anyway,..."fixed savings accounts" - I take it that means "fixed deposit" (specific time periods, decent interest rates.)

I thought the retirement extensions required it to be in a current account /savings account, not an investment type account like fixed deposit or Money Market type.  ...?   ...I'd be very pleased to hear that it can be a fixed deposit account. ????

Edited by Cat ji

1 minute ago, Cat ji said:

I take it that means "fixed deposit", specific time periods, decent interest rates. 

yes.

1 minute ago, Cat ji said:

I'd be very pleased to hear that it can be a fixed deposit account.

yes. fixed account. gold colored passbook. no statements. just letter from bank saying the 400 or 800 was there year round.

with me, there are literally no withdrawals in the passbook from the first big deposit. but the letter says it all.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

yes.

yes. fixed account. gold colored passbook. no statements. just letter from bank saying the 400 or 800 was there year round.

with me, there are literally no withdrawals in the passbook from the first big deposit. but the letter says it all.

The fixed deposit account bank book at Bangkok Bank is orange. 

How did you use a MasterCard at Bangkok Bank for 6 years when they had Visa earlier? And have you used the TPN MasterCard, the one issued from November 5 2018 for online purchases?? The TPN MasterCard is not same as the MasterCard without the TPN logo.