BANGKOK
SidJames

Netflix subscription

I'm thinking of getting a Netflix subscription for my new place & want the children to be able to use it.

I have a decent connection & use express vpn so my question is should I buy an overseas ie UK, subscription or is the local one decent enough?

You've almost answered your own question, Sid.

As you're running ExpressVPN then it really matters little as you can easily change your country location as and when you want to view alternative content.  

local one is good for the thai wife, bad otherwise compared to UK's one

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I use the local (Thai) subscription for Netflix, and it's fine. Never found anything yet that is available in UK that is not available here. 

• Thanks 2

It doesn't matter where you buy the subscription, it works based on where you are in the world.  You get the content based on your location (unless using a VPN, many of which Netflix will detect and ignore).

For instance, I have a Thai-based subscription - when I use it in the UK it works just fine but gives me content for the UK (no Thai language content, for example). My neighbour has a subscription bought in Canada, when he uses it here he gets the Thai programming.

• Like 2

I have an Australian netflix account and works perfectly here in Thailand.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

local one is good for the thai wife, bad otherwise compared to UK's one

Complete nonsense. Pretty much everything is on the 'Thai' Netflix.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Jeff said:

Not so.  Check out this link and many others.

Netflix Country Comparison

12 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

Not so.  Check out this link and many others.

Netflix Country Comparison

You're quoting an article that's over 1 1/2 year old.  Yes there are certain country/region specific differences but it's always getting better.  There are plenty of contents (old and recently-released) on local Netflix.  When I moved out to SE Asia on 2012, I was using VPN to access USA Netflix.  I can't remember the last time I had to do that, anymore.

Netflix has 3 subscription plans: basic, standard (HD) and premium (UHD). The price of each plan is the same price in every country. The only difference in a subscription will be the amount of content you are allowed to stream in your geographical location. If you use a proxy, you can stream more content from overseas andnd contrary to one poster's belief, there IS more content available on US Netflix than in Thailand.

Edited by tweedledee2
additional content

Which is or are the VPN's in that case,  that pass totally undetected by the radar of Netflix and other sites ?

They are doing a free 30 day trial at present....280 is lowest subscription...Irishman is already on there...

18 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Which is or are the VPN's in that case,  that pass totally undetected by the radar of Netflix and other sites ?

ExpressVPN.  I've just signed in on my UK account here in LOS and set my location to 'UK - Kent' and went without a hitch.  Then I signed into Netflix 'USA - San Francisco' and again no problems.

IMG_1873.thumb.JPG.0534dde537977805fa8de777f37ecc7a.JPGIMG_1875.thumb.JPG.9af035c4d8052798c5f36a060cb1088a.JPG

IMG_1873.JPG

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Khon Kaen Jeff said:

Absolute rubbish I tried the free trial in Thailand last year decided against continuing. Went back to the UK and signed up for superior coverage.