Video: Six year old boy dead - but driver survives, thanks to amulet

rooster59

Video: Six year old boy dead - but driver survives, thanks to amulet

crash.JPG

Image: Thai Rath

Shocking footage from the Kanchanaburi to Makhamtia checkpoint road showed a pick-up lose control and veer side on into the path of an oncoming car. 

The car - a Toyota Yaris - had no chance to avoid the collision that occurred between KM markers 70 and 71. 

A six year old boy died in the accident and five were injured. 

Natdanai, 6, had to be cut out of the pick-up - he passed away later in hospital. 

But the driver of the Yaris - Sangwan, 63 - survived without injury. 

He said that was due to his amulet.

Source: Thai Rath

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-11-30

pickup was speeding and thebone in front being a typical thai tortoise which is so dangerous in itself but hit the brakes in a pathetic rear drum, no weight in the back ute and this is exactly what happens. 

Anyone speaking of amulets should be shot in the head. That thinking is far more serious of an issue.

2 minutes ago, unamazedloso said:

pickup was speeding and thebone in front being a typical thai tortoise ...

Too true.  The Thai tortoises are just as dangerous as they randomly slow down to nothing for no obvious reason or they arrive at a junction and eventually proceed in fits and starts.  Very dangerous and even more mind-boggling as to what the intention actually is.  I always tell my wife to give them a wide berth and try to not get stressed, though appreciate that it's not that easy.  

Natdanai, 6, had to be cut out of the pick-up - he passed away later in hospital. 

RIP, little boy. Insanity pure to believe that his amulet had saved him. 

Why didn't it save the little boy? Doesn't that say all about the magic that doesn't exist?  

Maybe wrong - but if you watch closely after the accident you will see a dog run across the road.  I dont think the speeding truck was avoiding it, but I think the one in front (the tortoise) may have slowed down because of the dog, and the person in the truck reacted way too late - and then slammed on the brakes causing lose of control.  As we all know, in Thailand there is very little maintenance of vehicles and the trucks suspension and brakes and tyres were probably all in bad shape. 

The lesson for all is to own a big car/truck/mercedes - or buy an amulet ????

3 hours ago, pattjock said:

Everyone in Thailand wear an amulet still more people die in traffic here than anywhere else. Maybe, just maybe, wearing an amulet have nothing to do with weather you survive or not.

Some Thais would probably argue the road toll would likely be double if they didn't wear amulets.

Alas, a tragedy that could have been avoided.

53 minutes ago, AussieBob18 said:

Maybe wrong - but if you watch closely after the accident you will see a dog run across the road.  I dont think the speeding truck was avoiding it, but I think the one in front (the tortoise) may have slowed down because of the dog

Keep watching some more.... the dog is nowhere near either pick-up.
It was on the opposite side of the road out of view... after the collision it ran across the road.

In the US they theorized that as more and more vehicle safety devices came into use, the actual driving skills and behavior worsened due to over reliance on these devices. Maybe the same is true here with amulet wearing Thai drivers.

16 hours ago, torturedsole said:

Too true.  The Thai tortoises are just as dangerous as they randomly slow down to nothing for no obvious reason or they arrive at a junction and eventually proceed in fits and starts.  Very dangerous and even more mind-boggling as to what the intention actually is.  I always tell my wife to give them a wide berth and try to not get stressed, though appreciate that it's not that easy.  

Those who drive slowly are doing so because they have no idea how to drive and are nervous, are drunk, or both.

I'm off to the workshop tomorow to have all the airbags in the car replaced with amulets.  Can these can save a person through multiple crashes, or, like helmets, should they be replaced after each crash?  Expecting to be involved in several crashes in the near future as the car is intended for use on Thai roads, so any advice is appreciated.

The pick up was going way too fast for road conditions - meaning single lanes two way traffic on a busy road

he didn’t anticipate Nor react to the slower car in front nor to on coming traffic

he got what he deserved b/c driving too fast for road conditions - called safe breaking distance or 4 sec rule...

Comments on the loss of traction are spot on - these vehicles are accidents waiting to happen. But the little boy died because of the lack of defensive-driving skill/experience of the pick-up driver who, having lost control of the back end, kept his/her front wheels straight so the car (which was now angled towards the other lane) veered across the road. I wonder what would have happened if they corrected into the skid (as any defensive driving course would teach you). They would still have had an accident, but probably hit the back of the pickup in front, which is a far better outcome for them (although still a lousy outcome).

6 minutes ago, Trident280 said:

But the little boy died because of the lack of defensive-driving skill/experience of the pick-up driver ...

I was aghast at what I witnessed at the local Thai driving test centre - driving through some cones, reversing into a spot twice the size of Greater London and a gentle drive around a small track.  The biggest surprise of the day was that one of the Thai drivers actually failed.  

5 hours ago, AussieBob18 said:

Maybe wrong - but if you watch closely after the accident you will see a dog run across the road.  I dont think the speeding truck was avoiding it, but I think the one in front (the tortoise) may have slowed down because of the dog, and the person in the truck reacted way too late - and then slammed on the brakes causing lose of control.  As we all know, in Thailand there is very little maintenance of vehicles and the trucks suspension and brakes and tyres were probably all in bad shape. 

The lesson for all is to own a big car/truck/mercedes - or buy an amulet ????

- and we all know how wandering, clueless soi dogs are more important than ones safety. 

6 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

RIP, little boy. Insanity pure to believe that his amulet had saved him. 

Why didn't it save the little boy? Doesn't that say all about the magic that doesn't exist?  

Because it wasn't the little boys amulet, it belonged to the guy it saved, magic at work.

Archived