Videos: After the doom and gloom it's Pattaya BOOMTOWN once again!

rooster59

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Don Mega said:

Whats wrong with the current political/economic environment ?

Ive recently moved back here for a job that pays more than back home and I don't see/experience any issues.

I,m thinking of relocating to the los,I am a snow clearer with a lifetimes experience,anyone know if any vacancies?

Pattaya used to attract tourists for it's nightlife and red light areas. Now they have been cracked down on, and the Thai baht is so high, there is no reason for any westerners to go there.

Factor in the immigration policies, then it's amazing to see any white faces there anymore. Well done Thailand in killing off one of your major draws for a certain tourist demographic.

How many bullets can you put in one foot?

Is idiocracy a word?

20 hours ago, Beggar said:

Pattaya is doomed. Look at the photo with the people on the beach. They are standing but not spending. Not a single person on this photo consumes anything. Some don't even watch the fireworks but are busy with their phones. This is the end. 

You have no idea at what time the photo was taken. Before and after the fireworks the Beach Rd was crowded by people getting to and from the Beach, there was a parade down the Beach Rd led by a great big fat guy. Plenty of people on the Beach itself during the Fireworks, and a great atmosphere of casual fun the Thais do so well. Funny thing, as we sat there and enjoyed, many recording the show on their phones, people would come and stand right in front of you blocking the view and start filming themselves...  they are such dopes! ????

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

You have no idea at what time the photo was taken. Before and after the fireworks the Beach Rd was crowded by people getting to and from the Beach, there was a parade down the Beach Rd led by a great big fat guy. Plenty of people on the Beach itself during the Fireworks, and a great atmosphere of casual fun the Thais do so well. Funny thing, as we sat there and enjoyed, many recording the show on their phones, people would come and stand right in front of you blocking the view and start filming themselves...  they are such dopes! ????

This with no idea is not correct. I was there too.

There were very many people on the beach. I never saw so many people on the new beach. Most were Thais. But if you take the amount of people and put it in perspective what they consumed / spent then this was next to nothing. They were sitting there and looking. And for Pattaya this festival was for sure not for free. The next day it was empty again. I had the feeling more empty than on other Sundays. 

I think it is not important how many people are there but how much money they leave there. Take the Walking Street. It is not important how many Chinese walk there up and down but how much money they spend there. I don't see the future of Pattaya so negative. But I think the time of sex tourists and sex bars is a thing of the past. And if Pattaya still does everything to be the location with the most sex bars in the world then this could be the wrong way for the future. With increased competition between the countries here in this region the tourists might get more choosy. They can change their booking behavior quickly. But to change the infrastructure of a whole city takes some time. 

22 hours ago, Beggar said:

Pattaya is doomed. Look at the photo with the people on the beach. They are standing but not spending. Not a single person on this photo consumes anything. Some don't even watch the fireworks but are busy with their phones. This is the end. 

The traffic is so bad, so many busses, so many people in Soi Bua Khao you can hardly drive, I would hate to see the city if there were any more tourists. Less tourists certainly makes the city more livable for us that live there. They need to better control and reduce the number of tourists just as Spain is trying to do. Sustainable reasonable tourist numbers!!

12 hours ago, SteveK said:

Pattaya used to attract tourists for it's nightlife and red light areas. Now they have been cracked down on, and the Thai baht is so high, there is no reason for any westerners to go there.

Carked down ? Probably never had so many discos on Walking Street area, with yet another one opening last month (JP Republic)

And BTW Pattaya doesn't need Westerners. He can do very well from Asia tourists.

12 hours ago, SteveK said:

Factor in the immigration policies, then it's amazing to see any white faces there anymore. Well done Thailand in killing off one of your major draws for a certain tourist demographic.

Which immigration policies change has had a negative impact on tourists? None?

If by "a certain tourist demographic" you mean old retirees farangs, then they are still here in huge number (despite many news of "exodus" on this forum), but they have a nearly insignificant impact on Pattaya's economy.

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Great, but did these people buy anything????

4 hours ago, Beggar said:

The next day it was empty again.

Again wrong... I was in town on Sunday, it was still busy and had heavy traffic. Big-CX Mall was very busy and the fast food outlets full with mainly locals and their kids. I guessed they had stayed over and were taking their kids out before heading home to the capitol and areas. I drove into town this morning... Monday... very busy, heavy traffic, many coaches. The Beach, packed with Chinese off to Koh Larn. 

1 hour ago, Humpy said:

I blame the slump on the rise of bar fines !

This for sure is a reason why there are less sex tourists. Pattaya was known for cheap sex. But this seams not to be the case anymore. And if I look at new bar places like this Tree Town Pattaya and this in the center of the city then I think they didn't realize the change - many more noisy often empty bars. There are still sex tourists around but they huge majority of the new tourists have nothing to do with it. Just came from the Jomtien Immigration and walked up the beach in Jomtien. Full of Russian couples.

6 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Again wrong... I was in town on Sunday, it was still busy and had heavy traffic. Big-CX Mall was very busy and the fast food outlets full with mainly locals and their kids. I guessed they had stayed over and were taking their kids out before heading home to the capitol and areas. I drove into town this morning... Monday... very busy, heavy traffic, many coaches. The Beach, packed with Chinese off to Koh Larn. 

I was not in town on Sunday. I live in the center and so I am always in town. And for instance the Central Mall was pretty empty. Yesterday Sunday they opened the new food court and I was one of few customers. Then I did my shopping at Tops. Not many customers too. 

12 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Well I did, an expensive room and a number of beers.

This is great for Pattaya that you spent so much and for sure this is extremely helpful and pays off already a huge amount of the costs for this celebration. One more person like you and Pattaya will have a bright future for sure. ????

2 minutes ago, Beggar said:

I was not in town on Sunday. I live in the center and so I am always in town. And for instance the Central Mall was pretty empty. Yesterday Sunday they opened the new food court and I was one of few customers. Then I did my shopping at Tops. Not many customers too. 

This is great for Pattaya that you spent so much and for sure this is extremely helpful and pays off already a huge amount of the costs for this celebration. One more person like you and Pattaya will have a bright future for sure. ????

No point going to Central if the food court is closed, ot thought to be, also not on the way out of town.

My hotel was full, so more than 'one more person' ......

Just now, jacko45k said:

No point going to Central if the food court is closed, ot thought to be, also not on the way out of town.

My hotel was full, so more than 'one more person' ......

I didn't write that the food court was closed. I wrote that they opened the new food court in the Central Mall yesterday. Now you even have 2 of them. The old and the new one. 

1 minute ago, Beggar said:

I didn't write that the food court was closed. I wrote that they opened the new food court in the Central Mall yesterday. Now you even have 2 of them. The old and the new one. 

I know what you wrote,  People had got used to it being closed, I personally did not know it opened Sunday. The food court in BigC-X was full.

3 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I know what you wrote,  People had got used to it being closed, I personally did not know it opened Sunday. The food court in BigC-X was full.

The food court in Big C estra is full every saturday and sunday at noon

around 70% thai and 30% farangs, not really international dishes, most thai food

but still good and cheap.

The food court opened in Central beside the Macdonald during the work in the old one

is small and overpriced imo, plus you have no view from the restaurant room.

The new food court just reopened this week end seems to be small too

i have not checked the prices yet. If they are the same as on the other part

they are not going to attract a lot of people on a budget.

Wait and see if the indian millionnaires are coming soon

with the Hilton hotel just here, there is still a hope

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

At the beginning there was the first big food court next to Tops. Then they moved this to the beach exit area while there was construction work for the new food court. Yesterday they opened this new food court next to Tops again and still kept the one at the beach exit side. They always had an open food court. Not sure what people got used to it being closed. But it is not so important. Just wanted to inform other people perhaps reading this apart from us two. 

4 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

Everybody was back home

most of the visitors was residents of the Chonburi area

locals thais and expats, it was a flood of motorbikes and cars 

from second road to sukkumvit.

Precisely ????

On 12/1/2019 at 3:55 PM, kingofthemountain said:

Yes you are right

i was here on the beach the 2 nights of the firework festival

80% of the people was local thais, only 20% tourists

and yes most take their food and drink with them (Me also hehe)

the 7\11 on beach road was busy as hell and aswell the vendors on the beach

The bars and restaurants even in the area? As quiet as usual.

On an anecdotal side at the end of the firework something was going wrong and

one of the floating barges, used as a launch platform, was in fire.

It's looked like a pretty big one and hard to handdle.

Why we should pay the rent of restaurants eating their plastic papaya salad for 250 baht when a street vendor from Isaan do it for70 baht and more delicious? Damn the malls and the big companies and restaurants. Let them to chinase, hope farangs have more civic mindset and consciousness  

32 minutes ago, zhounan said:

Why we should pay the rent of restaurants eating their plastic papaya salad for 250 baht when a street vendor from Isaan do it for70 baht and more delicious? Damn the malls and the big companies and restaurants. Let them to chinase, hope farangs have more civic mindset and consciousness  

You are right and i agree

except on the price of the papaya salad

you can find a lot of street vendors

doing an excellent one at only 40\50 bhts!

8 hours ago, BIGD1 said:

The traffic is so bad, so many busses, so many people in Soi Bua Khao you can hardly drive, I would hate to see the city if there were any more tourists. Less tourists certainly makes the city more livable for us that live there. They need to better control and reduce the number of tourists just as Spain is trying to do. Sustainable reasonable tourist numbers!!

We must be living in parallel universes. I was out and about this afternoon and there was no sign of what you describe. 

Soi Bua Khao has no pavements, so don't drive there if you can't cope with people walking in the road. 

Walked across Second Road a few times with ease. It's really not as busy as you suggest.

2 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

We must be living in parallel universes. I was out and about this afternoon and there was no sign of what you describe. 

Soi Bua Khao has no pavements, so don't drive there if you can't cope with people walking in the road. 

Walked across Second Road a few times with ease. It's really not as busy as you suggest.

Yes it's monday and it's ok with a motorbike.

I think BIGD1 was talking about take his car for a trip in the city

saturday or sunday, when its near 1 hour to go from Sukkumvhit 

Pattaya klang to Central festival.

The same thing at the peak hours the others days.

8 hours ago, Beggar said:

Now more of the high end retirees can dine on 40 baht meals, the same people bitching about the Chinese and Indians not spending money.

Archived