Videos: After the doom and gloom it's Pattaya BOOMTOWN once again!

rooster59

32 minutes ago, Ron jeremy said:

Now more of the high end retirees can dine on 40 baht meals, the same people bitching about the Chinese and Indians not spending money.

today i have checked the prices at the new foodcourt in Central

nothing under 70\80 bhts

the average dish is 100\150bhts

good luck if they want to challenge the T21 foodcourt

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

nothing under 70\80 bhts

You know one thing i have been wondering for years already is the street bbq sellers. Chicken, pork, beef has been 10 baht for a stick for decades. chicken wings also same price.

Prices on chicken, pork and beef and chicken wings has gone up over and over yet price on the street remains the same, keep in mind, the coal, also gone up in price, the wooden sticks, also gone up in price, plastic bags, also gone up in price, but not their prices.

I often wonder if they even break even. Yes they have the cash flow, but i doubt turning any profit.

Same for isaan sausages sellers, has been 10 baht for decades, and they give a bag full of  cut up cucumbers and chilly's. Just cucumbers alone worth 20 baht.

20 minutes ago, BestB said:

You know one thing i have been wondering for years already is the street bbq sellers. Chicken, pork, beef has been 10 baht for a stick for decades. chicken wings also same price.

Prices on chicken, pork and beef and chicken wings has gone up over and over yet price on the street remains the same, keep in mind, the coal, also gone up in price, the wooden sticks, also gone up in price, plastic bags, also gone up in price, but not their prices.

I often wonder if they even break even. Yes they have the cash flow, but i doubt turning any profit.

Same for isaan sausages sellers, has been 10 baht for decades, and they give a bag full of  cut up cucumbers and chilly's. Just cucumbers alone worth 20 baht.

Agree

the street food vendors are among the most to be pitied

particularly the ones with a handcart, they do a lot of kilometers

from their home in the crazy traffic, pushing their heavy cart

and they are back at night, i see them on 3nd road or even near Sukkumvit

and it's very risky for them.

All of this for some dozens of bahts each day.

On 12/1/2019 at 7:37 PM, Don Mega said:

Whats wrong with the current political/economic environment ?

Ive recently moved back here for a job that pays more than back home and I don't see/experience any issues.

well you must come from Africa to make more money in Thailand than in your home country

13 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

Agree

the street food vendors are among the most to be pitied

particularly the ones with a handcart, they do a lot of kilometers

from their home in the crazy traffic, pushing their heavy cart

and they are back at night, i see them on 3nd road or even near Sukkumvit

and it's very risky for them.

All of this for some dozens of bahts each day.

Do not get me wrong, they bring home 5000-6000 daily, i am just failing to see the profits, just cash flow. and prices have not changed in at least 2 decades, 10 baht 20 years ago and still 10 baht

Most of the people attending the firework display were Thais. It wasn't as packed as it was in the previous years. The street was only busy after the firework display finished. One of my friends who is a manager at a bar on soi 6 took a photo to brag that pattaya was crazy packed again, but honestly it was 90% just people passing through from viewing the fireworks. Other than that the bars were pretty dead. The bars were completely dead during the week before and after.

12 hours ago, androokery said:

So I guess the proposed DMK-BKK-UTP train service is looking kind of sweet now? ????

Yes, they just need to get the current round of Beach Rd excavation completed (the drainage project), then it can be dug up again for this one. 

7 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

nothing under 70\80 bhts

Yes, I am perplexed by the pricing in there. Food Courts need to be cheap and cheerful. Me and the Mrs tried out the Central Festival BR not long after it opened and she declared it well over priced.  They seem to price themselves around McD and that competition.... those prices keep us away but, since they are still less than many restaurants, seem to get a lot of tourists in. 

13 hours ago, BestB said:

Do not get me wrong, they bring home 5000-6000 daily, i am just failing to see the profits, just cash flow. and prices have not changed in at least 2 decades, 10 baht 20 years ago and still 10 baht

mmm 5\6000 daily? Only few at strategics locations can do this amount

but yes the profits must be very very little.

If i remember well the stick was 5 bahts 20 years ago

then it was 10 bhts during 10 years, last year they asked

20 bhts for one (On walking street). I don't know today i don't

buy anymore, with a low price the only way to do a profit is to low

the quality of the product, so i avoid.

On 12/2/2019 at 4:38 PM, jacko45k said:

Well I did, an expensive room and a number of beers.

And what of the people that stayed in a cheap room, and bought nothing?  They make the place look busy, but businesses don't see a baht from them. 

Just now, Leaver said:

And what of the people that stayed in a cheap room, and bought nothing?  They make the place look busy, but businesses don't see a baht from them. 

The cheap room would unlikely be free. Food sellers seemed to be doing OK, although I thought the stuff slightly overpriced compared to other years. My Mrs bought some overpriced Heinekin 0 from a pretty who charged more than the 7-11. Plenty of people buying stuff, but yes, 2 groups of tourists are known to hold on tight. 

7 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

but yes, 2 groups of tourists are known to hold on tight. 

And those two demographic of tourists now make up the vast majority of the tourist numbers here now.

Sure, they need a bed, and need to eat, but they do not stay in expensive rooms, and have cheap eats for the duration of their holiday.

Archived