Hopes Up In Smoke

tandor

5 hours ago, manchega said:

smoke is not short term, particularly given seasonal air pressure and winds there is no safe limit to the amount of sub 2.5 micron particles you can inhale, 

Well it's certainly seasonal where I live in north east Issan. Just a very short period following the rice harvest and actually there is not a lot goes on around here. Grazing then plowing in seems to be the norm. We probably enjoy the cleanest air in the region.

And it's certainly better than the London smogs of my early years!

On December 1, 2019 at 2:41 AM, KhunBENQ said:

And I cross my fingers that here at our place no sugar cane burning will take place.

Seen some cane trucks but no fire yet.

Burning rice stubble and all kind of "rubble" will never end.

That's right, it will never end, the Thais won't change their ways, can't breathe?????? Why are you living there? 

8 hours ago, toolpush said:

Thais just gotta burn. It is in their DNA

Also my experience in the MHS Province. Even in areas where it doesn't make sense: i.e. in the rocky area(s) of mountains, or the grass on both sides of the N 1095 (from Mae Taeng to Mae Hong Son).

4 hours ago, allanos said:

As stated elsewhere, this seasonal burning has been going on for hundreds of years and has certainly not been kept a secret. It begs the question whether the farang who took up residence in these very same areas first did due diligence, or whether they simply chose to ignore a problem which they were already aware of. I understand that other issues may have been paramount, like moving to the wife's village, but, in that case the seasonal burning simply comes with the territory. In the end, it is a trade-off, like so much in life. Crying about the problem is not going to help, one iota.

It is proven that the fires increased dramatically during the last decade until now !!!

On 12/1/2019 at 6:46 PM, BritManToo said:

Life expectancy has been the same for the past 2,000+ years.

Excluding child mortality, starvation and acts of violence.

Socrates was healthy in 399BC at age 70, until they executed him.

In statistics, a sample of one is a very weak basis for any conclusions w.r.to average life expectancy.

10 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Well it's certainly seasonal where I live in north east Issan. Just a very short period following the rice harvest and actually there is not a lot goes on around here. Grazing then plowing in seems to be the norm. We probably enjoy the cleanest air in the region.

And it's certainly better than the London smogs of my early years!

As a chosen Nong Kai returnee, I agree. It is better in the North East. However, it is 'flat' and that is hard for me, but, the advantages out weigh the flatness. As a long term Chiang Dao region rural resident... It is hard to empathize with the urbans when I know how my Thai relatives relate to the smoke. They burn the mountains. Actually throw matches and walk away. I have watched  'Doi Paa Daeng' burn completely to the point I thought if the wind changed I would lose my teak house. For 30 years this has continued and my house still stands. The villagers do not look at the smoke without expectation of the bamboo shoots, mushrooms and clear shooting of animals and without the fear of stepping on 'biting' things lying under the large, deciduous dipterocarp leaves...when the smoke clears and rains come. Burning fields or mountains is a part of their farming / wild crafting. This is not to condone it, but, to try and have others try to understand it.

As to the London smogs...I grew up on the pristine, West Coast of Canada, on an Island.....where, in late winter the snow would be covered in a black crust from the soot from the sawmill burners. Where my mother would race to pull the laundry off the clothesline as soon as it was dry, so it would not turn grey from the 'fly ash' coming from the wood waste burners.

We Westerners....tend to be sanctimonious and forgetful of our own history.

....Ken  (formerly 'SCT' (social. culture. thailand)

On 12/1/2019 at 9:36 AM, elektrified said:

AQI is over 90 right now. Last night it was almost 160!

wow, great for your life!!!!!!  if you are not in prison, you can save yourself.  or only complain.  your life is your life, make the right decision.

cough cough, die 

Archived