Tourists flock to Red Lotus Lake in Udon Thani

rooster59

Tourists flock to Red Lotus Lake in Udon Thani

By THE NATION

800_e5295879f6f6f4d.jpg

Photo by Korbphuk Phromrekha

Blossoming lotuses draw hundreds of visitors to Nong Han Lake

Hundreds of local and foreign tourists are gathering at Nong Han Lake, also known as Red Lotus Lake, in Udon Thani province since early morning.

The lake, located in Kumphawapee district, is famous for the spectacular scenery of red lotuses that blossom in December and January every year. Coupled with the cool weather of the northeastern plateau, tourists flock to the area to escape the heat of the city.

YM9C0068 copy.jpg

YM9C0102 copy.jpg

Local villagers also provide boat-ride service for those who want to admire the waterscape and take close-up photos of lotuses. Nong Han Lake is also known for being an excellent spot for bird watching.

Other than the vast number of flowers, the Red Lotus Lake is ranked the world’s second strangest lake by CNN. It covers a large area of 600 square acres, providing livelihood to over 60 villages around it. The water comes from six different creeks. Thus the lake is never dry all year round.

YM9C0212 copy.jpg

YM9C0221 copy.jpg

YM9C9723 copy.jpg

YM9C9727 copy.jpg

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30378932

logo2.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-12-01

• 2 weeks later...

My daughter visited us recently ,from the states! She wanted to go here,after reading about it in some online promotion.

Unfortunately, I live about 175 K from this place.So I opted to take her to a smaller less  tourist populated  version in Sakon Nakhon,it was very beautiful and serene .

I was told by a few Thai's that the lure is overstated and built up .And at times very congested with tourists. I do understand this helps out the locals for the tourist revenue it brings.

Archived