Is there a Neil Young Club in the north of Thailand? And, can I join?

FannnyBoy

I am not from Canada, and I do not listen to music, normally, however I was wondering if there might be some sort of Neil Young club in the north of Thailand.

We are very fortunate to have the internet, just because without it we would be precluded from listening to much music.  I do recall the days before 1980 when one could not easily obtain music if one were in far flung places.

And so, maybe there is a Neil Young Club here, hopefully.

Meanwhile, I hope that you will enjoy this, a tune which is very old and very identifiable with Neil.  

Let me know if you love Neil as much as I.

Thank you.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, FannnyBoy said:

Also, Neil Young played guitar in this recording, "Can't Find My Way Home".

One of his best...

Are you sure about that ?? Can’t find anywhere which says he played with Blind Faith ( Clapton, Winwood , etc ).

Maybe you are confusing it with this .?

17 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Are you sure about that ?? Can’t find anywhere which says he played with Blind Faith ( Clapton, Winwood , etc ).

Maybe you are confusing it with this .?

Thank You!

Great song.

I am sure that I had been confused.

5 minutes ago, CGW said:

You obviously have "A heart of gold" expecting there to be a fan club in Thailand, must be an "Old Man" doubt many have heard of him.

Wow, it's hard for me to imagine there are people who haven't heard of Crosby Stills Nash and Young. but of course there will be many, makes me feel truly old.

One of my favourites ( if not the favourite ) artists.. Great musician, poet, singer, player.. He got everything.

A few years ago, being seriously broken-hearted, for a few months i could listen only to his music.

Should i win a lottery, i'd open a N. Young Pub.

I am not from Canada, and I do not listen to music, normally, however I was wondering if there might be some sort of Neil Young club in the north of Thailand.

Would it be okay for you to nominate you for the Poster of the year 2019?

1. You are not from Canada and you do not listen to music, normally.

I'm certain that there are Neil Young clubs all over the country.

Please try Facebook and search for such a group. 

BTW, Thais might be aware of Scorpions, but not many know Neil Young. 

As Neil is one of my favorite musicians, I have the right song for you. Rock N' Roll will never die! 

3 hours ago, FannnyBoy said:

Thank You!

Great song.

I am sure that I had been confused.

The Squires

Neil Young's first band that he played in living in Winnipeg. The band was formed 1963 and existed for approximately two years. The only recording was a single with the A-side “The Sultan” and the B-side “Aurora”. On Archives Volume I these two and four additional unreleased songs by The Squires can be heard.

Mynah Birds

This is probably the least known by the groups Neil Young have played in. Mynah Birds already existed for two years then Neil joined the band in 1966. So far they had only released a single and an album was planned, but it all came to an abrupt end after one of the members got arrested for deserting from the navy. Soon after that Neil left the band and his appearance in Mynah Birds can today be seen as a parenthesis.

Buffalo Springfield

Neil Young got his first serious breakthrough playing with Buffalo Springfield. He already knew Bruce Palmer from Mynah Birds and he had made the acquaintance with Stephen Stills in Toronto some years back.

Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young

In 1969 Neil Young joins Crosby, Stills & Nash (CSN) and the super group were renamed to Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young (CSNY). Neil played guitar, harmonica and would also sing. Déjà Vu was the first album with the new Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young and also the best-selling album with the group.

Crazy Horse

Despite a reputation as not very skillful musicians, this was Neil Young's favorite band. He has played with Crazy Horse live in lots of occasions and also in many studio recordings. Two of the albums Neil Yong did together with Crazy Horse were Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere and Zuma.

59 minutes ago, CGW said:

You obviously have "A heart of gold" expecting there to be a fan club in Thailand, must be an "Old Man" doubt many have heard of him.

Many people must have heard of an old man in form of a foreigner who settled down here and grew old. Not all had the luck to survive. 

[Intro]
Old man, look at my life
I'm a lot like you were
Old man, look at my life
I'm a lot like you were

[Verse 1]
Old man, look at my life

Twenty-four, and there's so much more
Live alone in a paradise
That makes me think of two

Love lost, such a cost
Give me things that don't get lost
Like a coin that won't get tossed
Rolling home to you

[Chorus]
Old man, take a look at my life
I'm a lot like you

I need someone to love me
The whole day through

Ah, one look in my eyes
And you can tell that's true

[Verse 2]
Lullabies, look in your eyes
Run around the same old town
Doesn't mean that much to me
To mean that much to you

I've been first and last
Look at how the time goes past
But I'm all alone at last
Rolling home to you

[Chorus]
Old man, take a look at my life
I'm a lot like you

I need someone to love me
The whole day through

Ah, one look in my eyes
And you can tell that's true

[Outro]
Old man, look at my life
I'm a lot like you were
Old man, look at my life
I'm a lot like you were

50 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

As Neil is one of my favorite musicians, I have the right song for you. Rock N' Roll will never die! 

No, it won't.

1 hour ago, Isaanbiker said:

OK.  You really got me thinking with your good comment, and your good post of the great song, which Neil loved.

However, on the side you might be thinking of, I immediately think of Savoy Brown, and the tune, "Needle and the Spoon", but I am not sure that it is available on YouTube...

Let me check.

Please wait......

Oh... Here it is....

image.gif.1d73c9836ed773bbf87d3eeb7782e407.gif

However, PLEASE always keep in mind that Neil Young was always upbeat, unlike Savoy Brown.

Why?

Well, for one thing, Neil Young hails from Canada.  Most Canadians are very upbeat.

Also, Neil Young has a resilient approach to life, I guess. 

I love Neil Young but his music was so much a part of a certain time and place, my 1971-1973 high school days it is sort of sad to listen to it. I have to be careful with that.

i wish you could have seen my Cinnamon Girl.  

but now that i think of it, i have a new girl(s) here in Thailand. they just use different spices. :clap2:

now if I had only kept my 1971 383 Dodge Challenger RT/SE.  :sad:

6 hours ago, FannnyBoy said:

And so, maybe there is a Neil Young Club here, hopefully.

I am a great fan of Neil Young musick and of neil young as a pure , uncompromised musician and person. But I fail to see why one would need a Neil Young club,? 

Anyway , Powderfinger If my favorite. 

One Thread often started in this forum is , "Retired and bored in Issan (substitute your place in Thailand) What to do?"

Here is what to do, 

Buy an old acoustic Guitar and  learn a few chords. (Plenty of tutorials on YouTube,) and start strumming, Or an electric, (strings are softer and easier on a beginner) I recommend an Epiphone Les Paul . best bang for your buck IMO

I usually play when no one is around , or with my headphones on because I Suck at it

Powderfinger is mostly two Chords  a G and a C both easy chords and a couple of changes between an E-minor  a D and an E  also easy chords.   again Plenty Tutorials on YouTube . 

Not a beginner song, IMO easy intermediate.

Also , if you can't find the song on YouTube you could find it in TAB form

https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/tab/neil-young/powderfinger-tabs-1183139

I like TABs for a lead or an Intro. (very easy) you don't need to know how to read music (I don' t) I started to learn, but gave it up as I don't use it often enough to remember.

Anyway , If retired and bored, Something to keep you busy.

Who made CSN&Y great?

Steve

and

Neil

These were the guys.....

And, speaking of Steve, you can hear just how great he Still is by listening to this:

Steve is truly amazing here!!!!!!

Also, great microphone and wonderful guitar.

I have always loved Steven Stills.

2 minutes ago, FannnyBoy said:

Who made CSN&Y great?

Steve

and

Neil

These were the guys.....

And, speaking of Steve, you can hear just how great he Still is by listening to this:

Steve is truly amazing here!!!!!!

Also, great microphone and wonderful guitar.

I have always loved Steven Stills.

Now I’m suspecting a troll !!

1 hour ago, Isaanbiker said:

Many people must have heard of an old man in form of a foreigner who settled down here and grew old. Not all had the luck to survive. 

That keeps me searching for a heart of gold
And I'm getting old..................................................

Just now, canuckamuck said:

What would a fan club do? is there meetings.

I am sure I am in the Neil Young fan club, but I have never felt that required a membership.

Meetings would not be required.

What do most fan clubs do?

They save photos on their phones.

And, they send messages to their loved ones.

In this case, we should send messages to Neil Young, one of the greats.

Steve Winwood is also great.

Sorry.

Sometimes I mix up Steve Winwood and Steve Stills.

2 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

I have always thought that for Thailand fans you could sub wife for life and be very close to accurate  with the lyrics...

45 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

What would a fan club do? is there meetings.

I could help with the "merchandising" T-shirts, badges, stickers, Neil Y wigs etc, though I am a bit old to be a "fan" ????

2 hours ago, FannnyBoy said:

I suppose that you have heard NY tell the story of this song.

It was written about a friend of his.

But, also, as you know, when Neil is not singing, he is often mumbling.

I always thought that this song was dedicated to J. Rotten - Neil was the first (only?) established rock artist to understand Punk.

Archived