Is there a Neil Young Club in the north of Thailand? And, can I join?

FannnyBoy

3 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

I always thought that this song was dedicated to J. Rotten - Neil was the first (only?) established rock artist to understand Punk.

I guess you may be right on the 2nd paragraph.

"Hey hey my my" is the song dedicated to J. Rotten, while the other is for his friends, a roadie and a Crazy Horse member, who died of heroin.

Not many people know, but Neil Young dared to compose and publish a song about Charlie Manson, despite being warned not to do it by his friends.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

I guess you may be right on the 2nd paragraph.

"Hey hey my my" is the song dedicated to J. Rotten, while the other is for his friends, a roadie and a Crazy Horse member, who died of heroin.

Not many people know, but Neil Young dared to compose and publish a song about Charlie Manson, despite being warned not to do it by his friends

Could it be that Hey Hey and Rock n Roll will never die are the same  song.....?

15 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

I always thought that this song was dedicated to J. Rotten - Neil was the first (only?) established rock artist to understand Punk.

IMO it is a song about rock and roll.  I am thinking He is talking about himself,

"It's better to burn out
Than to fade away "

and the archetypical rock and roller  J Rotted exemplifies this attitude.

so this is not the story of Johnny Rotten But 

This is the story
of a Johnny Rotten 

A story of a  Johnny Rotten the "a" being operative here.

1 minute ago, sirineou said:

IMO it is a song about rock and roll.  I am thinking He is talking about himself,

"It's better to burn out
Than to fade away "

and the archetypical rock and roller  J Rotted exemplifies this attitude.

so this is not the story of Johnny Rotten But 

This is the story
of a Johnny Rotten 

A story of a  Johnny Rotten the "a" being operative here.

Ah.

a Rotten.

Very much like the bible - not to be taken literally.

(I don't believe in god, but if he exists, his name would be Neil)

Afternoon All

While I am Canadian and clearly a Neil Young fan, I am not up north and do not really need a club.

Selecting a 'favourite' Neil Young song is, to me, like trying to decide which raindrop is wetter; the man is an overall genius. Period.

However, ONE of my favourites is This Note's For You, taking a shot at all the corporate sell-outs.

Enjoy!

2 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

I don't like the guy in the middle.... I will never forgive him for doing unmentionable things with the only woman I ever truly loved, Grace Slick.

Which One Pancho Villa or Choir boy?  There are two guys in the middle. 

9 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

I don't like the guy in the middle.... I will never forgive him for doing unmentionable things with the only woman I ever truly loved, Grace Slick.

My wet dream also (without the Jefferson Airplane dudes of course  LOL)

3 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Which One Pancho Villa or Choir boy?  There are two guys in the middle. 

Pancho even wrote a song about it, and Slick recorded it.

And it gets worse: we are talking 3some....

50 years ago to this day, I still feel the pain.

(forgive me for going off topic)

Looks like The Neil Young Club is alive and well on Thai Visa, as it should be.

So many great songs, so many wonderful melodies, folk, hard rock, what a talent.

An ambulance can only go so fast. How I love that line from Ambulance Blues. I interpret it as meaning other people can only help you so much, it's really up to you.

And Albuquerque. Unforgettable music.

As a teen, i used to collect every album from Neil Young, when i listened to "Tonight's the night", i didn't like it so much, and i thought that he, and many others of that generation, was finished..

..Big mistake !

Now i think that "Tonight's the night" is one of his best works, and he made some good music until recently.

another Jefferson Airplane song......  a favorite of mine .   40 years ago would play it loud and be slightly under the influence .    sometimes a little more than slightly.   

Slim chance of an instrumental becoming a top 40 hit, and it's no secret to the musicians. 

Then one day, on the minibus doing a visa run between Ranong and Chumphon, listening to Cowgirl in the Sand, I realized it is pretty much an instrumental.  I timed it.  Didn't write down the exact figures but it came out to around a 9 minute song with about 1.5 minutes of vocals, at least the version I had.  Great guitar playing, but never liked the lyrics.

Used to be "hit singles" would have an instrumental break in the middle, then back to singing, then end of song.  Sometime in the early '70s songs began to have instrumental leading to the fade out of the song, and I think Neil helped set this trend.  If you don't know what I mean an example is the ending of Eagles' Hotel California.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mynah_Birds

5 hours ago, DJ54 said:

At first reading...... doesn't listen to music and knows all these great songs... is he gone bonkers. Turns to be a great thread and 

I’ll have save. Noe let’s speed it up a bit...

Absolutely great song, I have it and the Thin Lizzy version on my MP3 player

Old Hippie beat me to it - I discovered the "Cortez" song about six months ago and play it, along with other Neil Young stuff, mostly Vietnam War era, most evenings when cooking my dinner. NCC - the car you had in 1971 was sold in Oz as the Chrysler Charger RT - cheap, very fast, but had bad handling. Collector car now though, worth mega bucks, if you can even find one for sale. An old gf and I went to the same NY concert in Sydney in 1986 two days in a row and during a break, he pointed to us and said, "these same two people were here last night, seated in the exact same two sxxt seats, so I must be doing something right". The seats were at the side of the stage - no-one wanted them. What a performer. His band that night were called "the International Harvesters". Amazing showman live.

On 12/1/2019 at 8:11 AM, FannnyBoy said:

Also, Neil Young played guitar in this recording, "Can't Find My Way Home".

One of his best...

Makes me think of Elon Musk, but a bit Younger.

Who is this Neil Young anyway? Some singing Astronaut?

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

I went trough the whole thread and was surprised not one posted Harvest Moon

Call me old fashion ,IMO no Neil Young fan club is complete without,

So I am listening to this song again and i dare you, I double dare you to listen to this song and not sing along

Archived