Thai children play online games almost everyday

rooster59

Thai children play online games almost everyday

Tanakorn Sangiam

f4bc1c7d0aec9d3bef4cc25974270b1b_small.jpg

A survey on online gaming behaviour shows some 70 percent of Thai children play them almost everyday, increasing exposure to violence in some games and bullying.

BANGKOK (NNT) According to the Situation of Thai Children Online Gaming Behaviour Survey this year, conducted with some 3,000 samples in secondary and vocational schools across the nation, 88.33 percent of the respondents say they have played online games, with 64.66 percent saying they play everyday for an average of 3-5 hours per day.

8.1 percent of children in Bangkok say they play online games for more than 8 hours a day during weekends, mostly at home or dormitory. The most common factor for starting to play online games is a friend’s invitation, followed by information in online media.

The survey result was revealed at a seminar on Thai children’s online behaviour and threats posed, by the Association of Youth Radio and Media, the Thai Health Promotion Foundation and related agencies.

The survey team pointed out a concern over exposure to violence shown in some of the games, which may influence violent behaviour in players, and a trend to accept E-Sport as a sport will encourage them to play games for longer periods.

Many of the children surveyed also spend more than 500 baht monthly on online games, while those involved with online gambling generally spend some 1,000 baht a month.

Bullying is also found in the online gaming community in terms of agitation, threats, defamation, slander and identity fraud. Academics suggest children should talk to their parents or teachers when bullied, and collect evidence for prosecution. Parents and teachers should also help improve digital media literacy among children.

nnd.jpg

-- © Copyright NNT 2019-12-01

I actually don't have an issue with kids playing video games. If they've been to school, done their homework, ate the dinner and done any chores, let them enjoy themselves before bed. And to be honest, I'd rather my kids were in doors playing on the games than outside near Thai roads and Thai drivers.

56 minutes ago, at15 said:

really disturbing toting your child around with a phone glued in front of their face 24/7.  my child would not even be allowed to touch a phone until at least their teen years. 

Parents are worse with addiction to FB

its normal live you thai,europe,north europe,usa or somewere, ALL childrens have same, play lot games in internet today many hour /day, and night, newermind its normal, my 2 son has play all him young life all games but both has come smart good fine men. and both can speak and understan lot lot better english than me and peoples who not has play newer games in net. game is game and no newer need worry, normal childrens understand what is game and what real life. no matter how long play day or week onetime. newermind. only if not hear what mother or father say we cut internet and then boys come eat or shower or sleep, hahaha.

I think it counts for grown ups as much, all they do is eat + sleep + 'work' + play phone and repeat. 
No wonder so many kids live isolated / have no real friends. Yet a smartphone is easily ones best friend, with no money to spend.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived